Nikon 50mm F1.8D AF Lens

...unless it's a Nikon DX labeled lens, then the crop factor is already figured in, so a 50mm DX is a 50mm lens, not a 75mm.

Umm, that is incorrect, no lenses for DSLRs factor in the camera crop into their focal lengths.

For portraits I'd go with something longer than 50mm. 85 or 135 mm come to mind.

BTW, enjoy your new lens.

A very popular prime lens is the 35mm f1.8 that will auto focus on the D5000. That lens runs about 200, which is more expensive than the 50mm, but at least it autofocuses. The perspective is a little different, but it's definitely a worthwhile lens.

Also, like Argote said, you will always need to account for the crop factor no matter what kind of lens, DX or not. So a 50mm DX lens is 75mm, and not 50mm.

i got the this 50mm the other week for ?70 boxed (2nd hand)... before this i had the 35mm f/2. i needed some money though so sold the 35mm for ?200. first thing i thought though was that the 50mm isn't as sharp as the 35mm, but still a very nice lens.

all in all i'm happy with the small downgrade.

Umm, that is incorrect, no lenses for DSLRs factor in the camera crop into their focal lengths.

Stupid, if true. Can't see why they can't make a 50mm lens that's a 50mm lens. And no site out there seems to say definitively in either direction. Although the only 'proof' I have myself is owning both a 50mm DX an a non-DX 50mm and they don't produce the same image. The non-DX 50 mm is definitely a closer shot. So since almost every site out there conflicts information about DX lenses, all I can go with is my personal experience on the two lenses I have.

Ah well, as long as a lens does what you want it to, it's the right lens for the job.

Stupid, if true. ?Can't see why they can't make a 50mm lens that's a 50mm lens.?

That would be because it actually is a 50mm lens on a full frame camera, everything is measured in full frame units, otherwise it'd be a confusing cluster****.

Stupid, if true. Can't see why they can't make a 50mm lens that's a 50mm lens.

LOL the thing is, they are all 50mm lenses... so really you should be complaining about how they can't make a camera body that sees 50mm as 50mm... because focal length is focal length it's just how your camera perceives it as being :p (I think).

That would be because it actually is a 50mm lens on a full frame camera, everything is measured in full frame units, otherwise it'd be a confusing cluster****.

This only applies to everything that is smaller than or equal to 135 film. Medium and large formats are in their own league. (please correct me if I am wrong)

LOL the thing is, they are all 50mm lenses... so really you should be complaining about how they can't make a camera body that sees 50mm as 50mm... because focal length is focal length it's just how your camera perceives it as being :p (I think).

What Argote already said. On full frame camera bodies 50mm IS 50mm.

This only applies to everything that is smaller than or equal to 135 film. Medium and large formats are in their own league. (please correct me if I am wrong)

You are correct as far as I know, as you said, modular cameras are a league of their own

Woot, welcome to teh 35mm Auto focus club :p LOL

I love teh 35mm, though I feel it's too long for my average day to day shots. Great for portraits though.

I would rather have recommended the Nikon 35mm f2. It's a much sharper lens, even with the lens wide-open. Also, it's not a DX, which means you can use it on a FX camera too. I use it on a D300, which gives me almost a perfect 50mm.