How to Improve Windows?

Cool, Lots of good ideas here!

I know alot of the issues you mention are being looked at for improvement in future versions of Windows.

Keep the suggestions coming!

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

1. explorer.exe and IE being different programs so you can remove IE if you want.

2. Have the GUI and Command Line seperate and make it so people can create different GUI to suit their needs.

1. explorer.exe and IE being different programs so you can remove IE if you want.

2. Have the GUI and Command Line seperate and make it so people can create different GUI to suit their needs.

I like the GUI and Command LIne idea.

lhost,Jun 27 2003, 06:16] there is one thing that should be improved:

they should delete all their source code for explorer.exe and build it from SCRATCH!

the explorer shell is just the biggest piece of shyt i have ever seen!

HAHAHHA i agree

they were supposed to be doing it in XP.

No they weren't, XP is a minor upgrade to 2000, although 2000 dropped the amount of reboots needed to go to 0 requires a lot of changes to the OS that only Longhorn can provide.

they should remove the small pauses between code that make it so you cant run XP on a P166, otherwise you could, it is these small pauses that microsoft knowingly puts in that makes us want a better processor, and who do we buy it from, intel, because they have a deal with MS

hate to tell you. it's called marketing. you wanna save money in order to do more things, they wanna earn more money too!

Needs to have more themes as standard, more than 1 set of icons for example default, minimal etc. Should run you through a questionaire at install that asks you what you plan to use the PC for, then not install unneeded components so the OS runs cleaner and faster. DLL files should be placed so that all the icons go in one, AVI's in another etc (im guessing it would be quicker and dll customisation would be a hell of a lot less hassle :rolleyes:)

go me!

I'm not sure if this is just my computer (most likely is), but when I print pages and documents my computer ties up a lot not always but a lot. This is one thing I would like to see gone.

I would like for them to change the entire way the registry works.  In fact I want it gone for good. 

I want the programs to keep all thier settings in thier respective folders, and not need to be installed. 

And I want it like that so I can install my programs as usuall on my hard drive, but run XP from a DVD-R, thus making it nearly impossible to screw up my install.

instead of removing the registry, they could and might include dynamic folders that are directly tied to the registry. these folders, when moved, renamed, or deleted, would make note to the registry to perform the correct operation to keep the program operational.

ie. if you delete a folder in program files called Symantec. it would completely uninstall all Symantec products along with removing their icons from the start menu

they could do this easily with the new WinFS that they will have in Longhorn

most suggestions i would have are already included in Longhorn :yes: tho, i bet i could come up with afew more if i really thought about it.

a brilliant idea!

There is one feature I have wanted sooo long from windows..

I want like you have in linux where you have different desktops (you press a button on the task bar 1-4 and it displays a different screen).. I have a lot off applications running and it is hard to keep track..

Didn't there very first longhorn beta have that but microsoft desided to remove it? (I think they only added it never finished that part because I think it allways crashed, so they removed it). Or have I been dreaming again? :p

I think microsoft should delay longhorn and spend one more year debugging it.. Tring it on different pc's and so on.. I would rather get it a year later and have a perfect stable system then having microsoft finish it as quickly as possible and releasing it with a lot of stability bugs...

I am looking forward to blackcomb :D I have waited years for it.. 2007 or 2008 I think it is coming.. Microsoft has been working on it since windows 98 beta I think (did some research about it a couple of years ago but I have high expertations from it).. What worrys me is that no alpha releases have been release.. what have they been doing? Are they still planning it :s...

I am allso hoping that after blackcomb they will drop the windows product (it is getting old dont you think?) and start from scratch.. It should be simple compair windows 2003 and windows xp.. They are nearly them same but 2003 server doesnt have all the usless functions like fast user switching and all of that kind of functions that crash windows... The kernel and explorer is a big problem which needs to be fixed...

There is one feature I have wanted sooo long from windows..

I want like you have in linux where you have different desktops (you press a button on the task bar 1-4 and it displays a different screen).. I have a lot off applications running and it is hard to keep track..

There is a Power tool that does this, it adds 4 desktops with buttons on the task bar.

I am allso hoping that after blackcomb they will drop the windows product (it is getting old dont you think?) and start from scratch.. It should be simple compair windows 2003 and windows xp.. They are nearly them same but 2003 server doesnt have all the usless functions like fast user switching and all of that kind of functions that crash windows... The kernel and explorer is a big problem which needs to be fixed...

They have dropped 9x and are now the entirely new NT OS this is not based on 9x what so ever, in fact it shouldn't even share teh Windows name its that different.

Longhorn is getting a new kernel and explorer is being made in managed C#

Fast User switching is a gerat feature just because you do not like does not make it usless.

Also nothing is known about Blackcomb as its features are being put in to Longhorn.

Im just saying that fast user switching is one of many features that together crashes windows...

I want it inbuilt with windows not a addon (talking about the power tool)

ofcourse it is getting a new kernel and explorer but i has got the same infrastuction as the old windows versions..

Im just saying that fast user switching is one of many features that together crashes windows...

I want it inbuilt with windows not a addon (talking about the power tool)

ofcourse it is getting a new kernel and explorer but i has got the same infrastuction as the old windows versions..

Fast user switching crashes Windows? I've never had a problem it in fact on campus that feature is used a lot and no complaints have been reported to the tech department. :whistle:

they should remove the small pauses between code that make it so you cant run XP on a P166, otherwise you could, it is these small pauses that microsoft knowingly puts in that makes us want a better processor, and who do we buy it from, intel, because they have a deal with MS

is this true? if so, why hasn't someone made an optimized windows XP with these lines removed?

I use the random play featurein MP9 a lot to listen to my music. However I would like the random feature to be improved so that it doesn't play the same song twice till it plays the rest.