Zune HD2 Will Be Like iPod Touch for Windows Phone 7

Zune HD2 Will Be Like iPod Touch for Windows Phone 7 (Read: Apps! Also, Zune HD Is For Suckers)

Sorry, everybody who bought a Zune HD! You screwed up. It won't be a part of the XNA Game Studio 4.0 party?meaning it won't play those new mobile Xbox Live games for Windows Phone 7?unlike the Zune HD2.

It's through MIcrosoft's XNA Game Studio 4.0 that developers get access to the Xbox Live goodness, using Gamer Services APIs. And that's not in the cards for the plain old Zune HD, according to Microsoft's Klucher:

"Development for the Zune and Zune HD will continue to exist in XNA Game Studio 3.1, however, in XNA Game Studio 4.0, we're encouraging you to migrate your games over to the Windows Phone 7 Series platform."

That's where the Zune HD2 comes in, which Mary Jo Foley hears is in the pipe, and "will be similar to an iPod Touch," and could ship as early as this year. In other words, it'll presumably be a part of that "Windows Phone 7 Series platform" and run Windows Phone 7 apps.

Which is what Microsoft will need?as many devices as possible running WP7 apps to give the platform a running start, and a wide base of them that don't require carrier contracts isn't a bad idea. Like Steve Jobs once supposedly referred to the iPod touch as "training wheels for the iPhone," devices running around with Xbox Live games and Zune music, getting people hooked on the platform early, the people who aren't quite ready for a full phone (though maybe that's where the mysterious Project Pink comes in), is almost a necessity, really.

But, uh, everybody who already bought a Zune HD, especially in the past month. Um, yeah. Sorry, but we told you this could happen. [ZDNet]

Source: Gizmodo

Guess they really do want a clean slate to work on. Pity, the Zune HD seems quite juicy with the Tegra chip. I don't think many bought one for Apps anyway, more of a sleek music, video device.

Don't ignore the rest of the world again.

[...]

Sorry, everybody who bought a Zune HD! You screwed up. It won't be a part of the XNA Game Studio 4.0 party—meaning it won't play those new mobile Xbox Live games for Windows Phone 7—unlike the Zune HD2.

[...]

Sorry, article! I didn't screw up. I don't care about games :) Without the application/game flexibility, the Zune HD meets my needs considerably more than the iPod touch, mainly because of the fantastic interface the Zune HD has and the consistency between the Zune HD interface and the few applications it does have. I realise the iPod touch has consistency between its core interface and that of its applications, usually, but the difference is... the Zune HD's interface is so much nicer in my opinion.

It's not just the interface which is nicer, but the screen is so much more colourful on the Zune HD due to it being OLED; the iPod touch doesn't have an OLED screen... Oh, and where is the built-in FM radio on the iPod touch?

Yeah, I think I know who screwed up... the people who bought iPod touches when they could have bought a Zune HD, right? No, because it's all a matter of opinion.

An article is very poorly written when the author cannot understand that different users will have different wants/tastes.

EDIT - To add, I've been so much happier with my Zune HD than I ever was with my iPod touch and I had many applications on my iPod touch.

Edited by Calum

The apps were just an added bonus for me. Only bought the Zune HD to get the enhanced media experience. That said, if the existence of Zune HD2 is confirmed, I hope MS increases the storage to 64GB at the least. That alone will make it worth buying for me. Can't wait to see what else they have in store.

I thought this would happen, it never made sense to me to have an entirely separate OS for a music player when they already have/will have a decent mobile platform. Unfortunately by saying this, MS have pretty much just killed off Zune HD (1) sales, at least from techy users.

Cute but ultimately irrelevant to me until Zune HD2 and the Zune service are available in European markets.

If Microsoft wants the Windows 7 phone platform to be succesful, it needs to be widespread in all markets, from PMPs to smartphones

What's the point in having something 'like an iPod Touch' if a real iPod Touch exists? Just get the iPod.

It reminds me of the Golf adverts we have over here.:laugh:

'It's like an iPod, but not an iPod.' >.>

What's the point in having something 'like an iPod Touch' if a real iPod Touch exists? Just get the iPod.

It reminds me of the Golf adverts we have over here.:laugh:

'It's like an iPod, but not an iPod.' >.>

It's like sex, but it's not sex :whistle: :laugh:

I'm sorry, but I have to say I'm extremely disappointed in Microsoft for this.

I've seen comments on various sites saying Microsoft never promised an app store for the Zune. They didn't, but they obviously made implications. They kept promoting XNA for Zune development, and I'm sorry, but what other implication is there other than if you're going to develop an application for a platform that you'll be able to actually distribute that application in some way? Microsoft made it seem from the outset as though they were attempting to get people to develop games for the Zune so they could sell them.

I fail to see how the Zune can't be upgraded to feature the same app store as the Windows Phone 7 Series. Maybe I'm just dumb, but it should be possible to upgrade the software to do this. The Zune HD is to the Windows Phone 7 Series as the iPod Touch is to the iPhone already, so I'm not sure what the issue is. They already have the same underlying core, so what's the problem?

That said, I don't regret my purchasing a Zune HD instead of an iPod Touch. But now I really do wish I'd have waited. I need a larger capacity than 32GB now anyway, but it's still disappointing.

It does suck for ZuneHD owners who wanted more apps/games, but I wonder if it's just a software thing or maybe something in hardware? For what it's meant to do the ZuneHD is the best imo. Maybe the ZuneHD2 will have something extra that is lacking in the ZuneHD? It could be the same thing(s) that are missing from current WM6.5 phones that doesn't let them upgrade to WP7s?

WE'll have to wait for MiX and see what the ZuneHD2 brings that the ZuneHD lacks to get a better idea. That said, from the get go MS has been very good with updating older Zunes to newer firmwares etc, but there will always come a time where that won't be possible anymore.

Maybe now with the ZuneHD2 they'll finally go international?

Guess they really do want a clean slate to work on. Pity, the Zune HD seems quite juicy with the Tegra chip. I don't think many bought one for Apps anyway, more of a sleek music, video device.

I bet Tegra is just amazing when listening to music! ;)

You don't really need something like Tegra to run a facebook app. And to be fair, he did say music and video device. Tegra helps when you're decoding 720p out to a HDtv.

Considering it's designed for low power consumption for video and audio, I'd say yes.

I sold my Zune HD. It was a nice device, but for what I needed, it didn't deliver. Despite the fact that there was still no support for hidden wireless connections and the lack of an internal speaker, I went back to the Touch 64 GB.

If version 2 includes these, I may go back, but they need to increase the number of apps too.

I fail to see how the Zune can't be upgraded to feature the same app store as the Windows Phone 7 Series. Maybe I'm just dumb, but it should be possible to upgrade the software to do this. The Zune HD is to the Windows Phone 7 Series as the iPod Touch is to the iPhone already, so I'm not sure what the issue is. They already have the same underlying core, so what's the problem?

Actually, despite what some tech sites are saying - they don't have the same core. Zune HD's firmware indicates it's actually still running on WinCE 5, whilst WinPhone 7 series, is, well, not.

Also keeping in mind that the baseline requirements for these 7 series devices are: Snapdragon or equivalent, 256MB or greater, 800x480 screen resolution. Zune HD, meets none of these. And the Windows Phone 7 series apps will be designed with these specs in mind of course

I do hope the Zune HD2 also has a bigger screen as suggested by the 7 series requirements. The current screen is too small to really make use of it for things like viewing video, typing, or playing a game. The media button could use an improvement, as well. Also, the Home button could use a house logo to make it more obvious to what it really is.

Zune HD2 Will Be Like iPod Touch for Windows Phone 7 (Read: Apps! Also, Zune HD Is For Suckers)

Sorry, everybody who bought a Zune HD! You screwed up. It won't be a part of the XNA Game Studio 4.0 party?meaning it won't play those new mobile Xbox Live games for Windows Phone 7?unlike the Zune HD2.

It's through MIcrosoft's XNA Game Studio 4.0 that developers get access to the Xbox Live goodness, using Gamer Services APIs. And that's not in the cards for the plain old Zune HD, according to Microsoft's Klucher:

That's where the Zune HD2 comes in, which Mary Jo Foley hears is in the pipe, and "will be similar to an iPod Touch," and could ship as early as this year. In other words, it'll presumably be a part of that "Windows Phone 7 Series platform" and run Windows Phone 7 apps.

Which is what Microsoft will need?as many devices as possible running WP7 apps to give the platform a running start, and a wide base of them that don't require carrier contracts isn't a bad idea. Like Steve Jobs once supposedly referred to the iPod touch as "training wheels for the iPhone," devices running around with Xbox Live games and Zune music, getting people hooked on the platform early, the people who aren't quite ready for a full phone (though maybe that's where the mysterious Project Pink comes in), is almost a necessity, really.

But, uh, everybody who already bought a Zune HD, especially in the past month. Um, yeah. Sorry, but we told you this could happen. [ZDNet]

Source: Gizmodo

I have no regrets buying a ZuneHD to replace my ipod touch, the sound is better, the video is better, it was cheaper for more storage. Apps are nothing more then a gimmick, and I will gladly buy the Zune HD2, my ZuneHD has been such a good device.

Actually, despite what some tech sites are saying - they don't have the same core. Zune HD's firmware indicates it's actually still running on WinCE 5, whilst WinPhone 7 series, is, well, not.

Also keeping in mind that the baseline requirements for these 7 series devices are: Snapdragon or equivalent, 256MB or greater, 800x480 screen resolution. Zune HD, meets none of these. And the Windows Phone 7 series apps will be designed with these specs in mind of course

Then why does mine say that it's WinCE 6.0?

0_3a897_a777dced_XL.jpg

I also couldn't be happier with my Zune HD. I bought it on launch day, and plan on keeping it till it dies. It does what it was meant to do, and that was be a portable media player. If you bought it for apps, then you went wrong! MS themselves said the Zune HD is a primary media player, and will not have an app database like the iPod Touch. The apps that are on there are of fantastic quality, unlike the millions of **** iPod Touch applications. Quality > Quantity.

I can see why current Zune HD owners would be ****ed though. They are going to feel "left out" if a ZHD2 comes out. However, my ZHD made me discover the marketplace, and I'm most likely getting a Windows Phone 7, since you can use the marketplace with it. If anything the Zune HD was a good guinea pig to grab/poll consumers with PMP's.

Get the device out to international markets, get it setup with decent floorspace in stores, then we'll talk about any Zune success.

Oh, and where is the built-in FM radio on the iPod touch?

Built in, but disabled :hmmm:

I read that the Broadcom chip inside the second and third gen touches also allow for FM radio, just as it was enabled to enable bluetooth. Apple's probably busy with iPhone OS 4 but they better at least offer a software update to unlock the radio - make it another $9.99 update, I don't care, just make it happen. :pinch:

I also couldn't be happier with my Zune HD. I bought it on launch day, and plan on keeping it till it dies. It does what it was meant to do, and that was be a portable media player. If you bought it for apps, then you went wrong! MS themselves said the Zune HD is a primary media player, and will not have an app database like the iPod Touch. The apps that are on there are of fantastic quality, unlike the millions of **** iPod Touch applications. Quality > Quantity.

I do recall them saying it was a media player, but I don't recall them saying it wouldn't have an app database. And I don't agree that the quality of these apps are above many of the iPod apps. They're not bad quality, but there are far more quality iPod apps.

I do recall them saying it was a media player, but I don't recall them saying it wouldn't have an app database. And I don't agree that the quality of these apps are above many of the iPod apps. They're not bad quality, but there are far more quality iPod apps.

Yeah MS stated when they released the ZHD that it wasn't going to match the iPod Touch in number of apps. And how could they, the iPod was off to a start before the ZHD. The apps that are on the Zune are great, I actually use them all instead of the 2 apps that I find useful on the iPod touch (which I also own thanks to my company). Many people wanted the ZHD to be an iPod Touch, but MS aimed more towards the media instead of the apps, and yes, the Zune HD blows the iPod touch away in sound, video out, and every aspect of being a portable media player.

I definitely would've gotten a Zune HD if it weren't for the lack of apps. Also, I would love to see a port of the Civilization Revolution for the Zune HD2. THEN I would buy it.

Yeah MS stated when they released the ZHD that it wasn't going to match the iPod Touch in number of apps. And how could they, the iPod was off to a start before the ZHD. The apps that are on the Zune are great, I actually use them all instead of the 2 apps that I find useful on the iPod touch (which I also own thanks to my company). Many people wanted the ZHD to be an iPod Touch, but MS aimed more towards the media instead of the apps, and yes, the Zune HD blows the iPod touch away in sound, video out, and every aspect of being a portable media player.

No one was expecting them to match the iPod's app database. That's not what you said.

"MS themselves said the Zune HD is a primary media player, and will not have an app database like the iPod Touch."

You said they wouldn't have one like the iPod's. Not that they wouldn't have the same amount.

No one was expecting them to match the iPod's app database. That's not what you said.

"MS themselves said the Zune HD is a primary media player, and will not have an app database like the iPod Touch."

You said they wouldn't have one like the iPod's. Not that they wouldn't have the same amount.

Yes, MS did say this device was intended to be a media player first; you can get that info from sites like ABI, and other places. MS did say apps are not their primary concern. Just think about it, they could have opened up the ZHD to apps and ability for 3rd parties to sell apps, but instead they wanted all the apps to be free, and essentially closed to outside devs. Apple on the other hand lets people create apps, and lets the 3rd party distribute it, as long as they're approved by Apple. MS was using the ZHD as a test bed before a true infrastructure that can combine Windows Mobile + Zune Marketplace + Xbox integration. So, thus the ZHD was never meant to have an app store like the iPod Touch, but this will change if they release the upcoming ZHD2 and WP7.