Zune HD2 Will Be Like iPod Touch for Windows Phone 7

Yes, MS did say this device was intended to be a media player first; you can get that info from sites like ABI, and other places. MS did say apps are not their primary concern. Just think about it, they could have opened up the ZHD to apps and ability for 3rd parties to sell apps, but instead they wanted all the apps to be free, and essentially closed to outside devs. Apple on the other hand lets people create apps, and lets the 3rd party distribute it, as long as they're approved by Apple. MS was using the ZHD as a test bed before a true infrastructure that can combine Windows Mobile + Zune Marketplace + Xbox integration. So, thus the ZHD was never meant to have an app store like the iPod Touch, but this will change if they release the upcoming ZHD2 and WP7.

OK, yet again, you're changing what both of us have said. I have already said I know Microsoft intended to make the Zune HD a media player first. I never argued that, and I'm not sure what gave you the impression I am arguing that. Microsoft didn't "close [out]" outside developers. Why else would they have promoted the XNA tools as able to make Zune HD games? It's because they implied all along that games and other apps would be available for the Zune HD, and that outside developers could make and distribute them. You saying Microsoft never meant for there to be an app store doesn't mean Microsoft said it.

OK, yet again, you're changing what both of us have said. I have already said I know Microsoft intended to make the Zune HD a media player first. I never argued that, and I'm not sure what gave you the impression I am arguing that. Microsoft didn't "close [out]" outside developers. Why else would they have promoted the XNA tools as able to make Zune HD games? It's because they implied all along that games and other apps would be available for the Zune HD, and that outside developers could make and distribute them. You saying Microsoft never meant for there to be an app store doesn't mean Microsoft said it.

I didn't say they entirely closed out developers, they essentially closed out developers, because even though you can create your own apps with XNA tools, how are you going to distribute it to the mass ZHD owners? Just go read sites like ABI or any other media player enthusiast site, and you'll see them state MS was never concerned with the quantity of apps for Zune HD.

I don't think MS will charge updates for the ZuneHD2 when it updates WP7s for free on that side. Just my guess. MS's main goal is to make money off of marketplace and not just the hardware. Anyone who knows about Apples model knows it makes all of the profits from the hardware, iTunes till this day is still just breaking even. I dunno about the app store per se but that probably bring sin a bit of profits, but not enough to be of any real help.

MS's is the other way, since the marketplace will be on every Xbox, PC ZuneHD2, and every WP7s device, not just tied to one specific MS only device like Apple, they are looking to make solid profits in the content sold not just the hardware. This is why MS never really pushed the Zune outside of the US to this day imo. That could change with the ZuneHD2 though, and if it does go on sale in teh EU etc it would be great news. There are still a large number of people who want a media player/apps but not a phone as well. Lots of them are happy with a basic dumbphone to make calls and text, nothing else. So PMPs still have a place. The ZuneHD2 though could very well be the last PMP device MS makes. I think after that they might just let 3rd parties ( like they are with the phones) add the Zune marketplace/software to their own PMP device and sell that. Then MS can go back to what it does best, sell a software license.

That, imo, is probably the endgame.