• England
    • Germany
    • The Netherlands (Holland)
    • Italy (Current holders)
    • Brazil
    • Spain
    • Portugal
    • Other (Specify in post)
  2. 2. (Golden Boot) Who will be top scorer?

• Wayne Rooney (England)
    • David Villa (Spain)
    • Fernando Torres (Spain)
    • Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast)
    • Luis Fabiano (Brazil)
    • Lionel Messi (Argentina)
    • Kaka (Brazil)
    • Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal)
    • Thierry Henry (France)
    • Jermaine Defoe (England)
    • Other (Specify in post)

525px-Logo_Fifa_World_Cup_2010_South_Africa.svg.png

aviaryfifacompicture1.png

As nothuman mentioned in the EPL thread we need a thread for World Cup news and here it is, so yeah Beckham looks set to miss the World Cup :(

Edited by Rappy

france FTW!!!! hope italy gets bombed, like actually. i hate that international team more then anything... and spain will take it. That's my pick to win it and my second fave team (FERNANDO!!!!!)

Yeah in the other thread I picked France to win it so we will see.

you picked france... really? as long as they have that coach i don't they'll ever have a chance. When the best goalie and one of your best strikers refuses to play for the country because of the coach you know there is something wrong...

Yeah, with Beckham out, that's our World Cup practically screwed. If we lose Rooney, we might as well not turn up!

OK, maybe it's not that bad. But it is a severe blow. I just don't think that Lennon or Wright-Phillips give that same sort of edge that Beckham can. Here's hoping they do well anyway!

As I said in the other thread. I back England fully but all signs lead to Spain taking it.

I really would hate to see Italy or Portugal take it because I hate the way these teams play football, especially Italy who is essentially the Chelsea of international football...

I heard that Beckham is out but i don't think he should have been taken either way. He's got good delivery but i just don't think he should be in the squad.

I heard that Beckham is out but i don't think he should have been taken either way. He's got good delivery but i just don't think he should be in the squad.

really? wow we have no other decent player in that position maybe other then Lennon (who's duffed up) and Milner who is a bit inconsistent. When you look at Beckhams age its impressive he can still play as world class as he does.

really? wow we have no other decent player in that position maybe other then Lennon (who's duffed up) and Milner who is a bit inconsistent. When you look at Beckhams age its impressive he can still play as world class as he does.

I don't think Cappello would have picked him anyway and makes his decision easier and also saves face for Beckham.

Plus, yeah I'd have Milner over him. I just think if you're going to play on the wing you need some pace.

I don't think Cappello would have picked him anyway and makes his decision easier and also saves face for Beckham.

Plus, yeah I'd have Milner over him. I just think if you're going to play on the wing you need some pace.

I think he would of picked him as a second half substitute in the important games experience is more key in those games, the fact Capello was on the phone straight away after the injury proves that but who knows now he's probably not going now anyway.

I wouldn't take Walcott or SWP (he was abysmal yesterday) either

Rappeh you forgot the poll pinch.gif!

Yeah :p Can you add a poll plz?

I suggest.. Who will win? Golden boot..

Can't wait.. sorry abt Becks but this gives Theo another chance to get some form and play at the highest level.. its between Shawn Wright, Lennon and Theo now..

So my views on some main teams and what I expect:

England: Stand a great chance. The coach is one of the best, the team is in great form and almost all important players are fit. Rooney's form will be vital. We can win this time around because as I said.. South American giants Argentina and Brazil haven't been this weak for a long time.

France: Some super players but almost no chance of winning the WC. Reason: Raymond Domenech. As long as he's there they won't win. I don't think I need to explain why.. just look at his team selection, subs and in-game tactics in past matches.

Germany: Outside chance. Dont have many great players. But have a great work rate. Is like a well oiled machine. If the mediocre players raise their game and help the likes of Ballack and Schwansteiger (hope I spelt it right :p) they can go far.

Holland: Good chance. Can score a truck load of goals every time. It will all come down to their defence.

Italy: Have some of the best players in the world. Team selection will be important because some of them are too old to run with players like Walcott or Messi. Have a good coach. Can win.

Spain: Possess a great team. Some of the best young players in the world. Can attack and defend. Midfield is one of the best in the world and coach is experienced and will take this team far. They are probably the best runners around as most of them are young. I feel the final will be England versus Spain.

Brazil and Argentina: Always strong at WC. Not as many stars this time around though. They do have some of the great players but rest of the team has nothing special abt them. Coaches are not experienced and not sure how well they can handle the pressure. It's another thing to be a great player like Dunga and Maradonna were but coaching is a completely different thing. They will get to quarter finals at most I feel.

Portugal: Outside chance. Ofcourse will go far as usual.

Brazil vs Italy for the final. Italy will get there by relying on their defense whereas Brazil shouldn't have much trouble. I would like to see England and Argentina in the semi's as well.

People who are saying Beckham is not that great or wouldn't have made the squad are forgetting something that only he brings out of all the choices for the RWM position.. and thats presence... this is what only the best players have.. this makes the players playing against you a bit more nervy and on the edge knowing that that particular player can do something special at any time and change the game..

I can imagine playing against him.. I'd be wary of his crosses and freekicks and ppl who say thats the only thing he has.. great delivery.. is actually a compliment.. coz thats the main thing you should have when you play on the wing.. to be able to deliver crosses that cause chaos in opposite area.. Beckham did that and will be missed by England..

Also.. he's mature and experienced.. he could handle the pressure but also knows the game is not over till the final whistle.. some of our young players can take it easy if we are up by 2 thinking we have won it.. I've seen this happen many times in the past with Arsenal.. so I know what experience can mean to a team..

Portugal finishes 2nd in the group, losing only to Brasil. Then goes on to the final to lose against Brasil... just like in Euro 2004 :rolleyes:

If we can get all of our ducks in a row and send Carlos Queiroz packing, we might have a chance. If only we kept Scolari around :pinch: