• England
    • Germany
    • The Netherlands (Holland)
    • Italy (Current holders)
    • Brazil
    • Spain
    • Portugal
    • Other (Specify in post)
  2. 2. (Golden Boot) Who will be top scorer?

• Wayne Rooney (England)
    • David Villa (Spain)
    • Fernando Torres (Spain)
    • Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast)
    • Luis Fabiano (Brazil)
    • Lionel Messi (Argentina)
    • Kaka (Brazil)
    • Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal)
    • Thierry Henry (France)
    • Jermaine Defoe (England)
    • Other (Specify in post)

• 1 month later...

Spain's Xavi may miss World Cup

Spain midfielder Xavi could miss the World Cup with a muscle injury.

The Barcelona star, 30, scored one goal and set up two in Saturday's 4-1 win at Villarreal but admitted afterwards that he has a 3cm tear above his calf.

"Xavi's playing with an injury that could see him miss the World Cup," said Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola.

Xavi, whose side are battling with Real Madrid for the Spanish title, added: "I'm carrying a number of aches but the team has a lot on the line."

Barca are four points clear at the top of La Liga but Real have four games remaining to the Catalans' three.

Xavi has contributed three goals and 13 assists in 32 league appearances for Barca, with whom he won the La Liga, Spanish Cup, Spanish Supercup, Champions League, Uefa Super Cup and Fifa Club World Cup titles last season.

He was also named player of the tournament after helping Spain win the 2008 European Championship.

Spain open their World Cup campaign against Switzerland on 16 June before also facing Honduras and Chile in Group H.

The Barcelona star, 30, scored one goal and set up two in Saturday's 4-1 win at Villarreal but admitted afterwards that he has a 3cm tear above his calf.

"Xavi's playing with an injury that could see him miss the World Cup," said Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola.

Xavi, whose side are battling with Real Madrid for the Spanish title, added: "I'm carrying a number of aches but the team has a lot on the line."

Barca are four points clear at the top of La Liga but Real have four games remaining to the Catalans' three.

Xavi has contributed three goals and 13 assists in 32 league appearances for Barca, with whom he won the La Liga, Spanish Cup, Spanish Supercup, Champions League, Uefa Super Cup and Fifa Club World Cup titles last season.

He was also named player of the tournament after helping Spain win the 2008 European Championship.

Spain open their World Cup campaign against Switzerland on 16 June before also facing Honduras and Chile in Group H.

Sad news, I really enjoy watching Xavi play for Barca - best of luck on his recovery. With that said, June 12th! Go USA v England! ;) (ready to get bashed by you guys - Shields up!)

So, Xavi is basically saying winning the La Liga with Barcelona is more important to him than playing for Spain in the World Cup? Otherwise, why would he be playing with an injury?

So, Xavi is basically saying winning the La Liga with Barcelona is more important to him than playing for Spain in the World Cup? Otherwise, why would he be playing with an injury?

it's like that in hockey too. most players would rather win the stanley cup then the olympics or whatever internation tournament. when matt sundin won the gold medal for hockey in '06 one of the first things he said was that i would rather have a stanley cup. though in football i always thought the biggest trophy the game had was the world cup...

and i'm going for france, but i think spain's got it.

They dont get paid as much for playing for the national team as they do for the league team.

Of course, he doesn't care! He's a Catalan separatist! :whistle:

:p

Portugal finishes 2nd in the group, losing only to Brasil. Then goes on to the final to lose against Brasil... just like in Euro 2004 :rolleyes:

If we can get all of our ducks in a row and send Carlos Queiroz packing, we might have a chance. If only we kept Scolari around :pinch:

How did Brazil get into the Euro? :laugh:

Anyways, Portugal certainly needs something else.

How did Brazil get into the Euro? :laugh:

Anyways, Portugal certainly needs something else.

Replace Brazil with Greece for the purpose of that sentence. Portugal won every game in the group stage except Greece, went on to the finals and lost... to Greece again.

I'm hoping this doesn't happen. It would awesome for us to finally win the World Cup.

Replace Brazil with Greece for the purpose of that sentence. Portugal won every game in the group stage except Greece, went on to the finals and lost... to Greece again.

I'm hoping this doesn't happen. It would awesome for us to finally win the World Cup.

i hate the greeks... more boring soccer then the italians

Dont under estimate the US team :unsure:

+1. states have a solid well coached team

just keeps getting worse for the Spanish...

Liverpool's Fernando Torres may miss World Cup opener

Torres has suffered a disrupted season at Anfield

Spain striker Fernando Torres may not be fit for the start of the World Cup, according to medical staff at his club side Liverpool.

The 26-year-old is recovering from surgery to repair knee cartilage torn in the 4-1 win over Benfica on 8 April.

"Whether he will be fit for the first game or not is uncertain," said Peter Brukner who is overseeing his recovery.

"But, if he continues to progress the way he is, he should be fit to play at some stage during the World Cup."

Spain's opening match in Group H is against Switzerland on 16 June.

More to follow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8660437.stm

Rib injury forces German keeper Adler miss World Cup

Germany has suffered a double injury-blow after it was confirmed goalkeeper Rene Adler and midfielder Simon Rolfes will miss the World Cup with injuries.

First-choice goalkeeper Adler has been told he needs surgery on a rib injury he suffered last month.

His Bayer Leverkusen team-mate Rolfes is out following knee surgery.

Adler said it was the toughest decision of his life as he could feasibly have played at the World Cup, albeit not to the best of his ability.

"The pain is so great that I would not have been able to perform at my best over the longer term both in training and during matches," he said.

"In such a long and intensive tournament, that is unacceptable. You need players who are totally fit."

Adler made a comeback for his club in Saturday's 1-1 draw with Hertha Berlin, but a post-match check revealed the injury was worse than first feared.

The 25-year-old has a history of rib problems, having nearly had his career ended by a complicated injury in 2006 which needed a titanium plate and four screws to repair it.

Robert Enke, who was Germany's number one in early 2009, committed suicide last November and in Adler's absence Manuel Neuer and Tim Wiese will be in competition for the starting place,

Coach Joachim Loew will announce a preliminary 30-man squad on Thursday, and if he opts for a third goalkeeper, Bayern Munich veteran Hans-Joerg Butt could be in line for a surprise recall, nearly seven years after winning the last of his three caps.

The absence of Rolfes was more widely anticipated, as he had not played since undergoing knee cartilage surgery in January.

"Simon's decision is the only right one for optimal recovery," said Loew.

"We are sad that he had to pull out but wish him a speedy recovery."

Germany are in World Cup group D alongside Australia, Ghana and Serbia.

---

Algeria name 25-man preliminary squad for the World Cup

Algeria have included Nadir Belhadj and Faouzi Chaouchi in their preliminary World Cup squad even though they are set to miss games in South Africa.

Both men were dismissed during the semi-finals at the Africa Cup of Nations in January and handed bans.

Portsmouth defender Belhadj will miss the opening game with Slovenia as will number one keeper Chaouchi, who will also miss the game against England.

The other team in Algeria's group is the United States.

"Selection has been a real headache but I wanted to keep the backbone of the team that got through to the semi-finals in Angola," said coach Rabah Saadane.

Algeria squad:

Goalkeepers: Lounes Gaouaoui (ASO Chlef), Faouzi Chaouchi (Entente Setif), Mohamed Lamine Zemmamouche (MC Alger), M'bohi Rais Ouheb (Slavia Sofia, Bulgaria)

Defenders: Abdelkader Laifaoui (Entente Setif), Madjid Bougherra (Rangers, Scotland), Carl Medjani (Ajaccio, France), Rafik Halliche (Nacional Madeira, Portugal), Anther Yahia (Bochum, Germany), Habib Belaid (Boulogne-sur-Mer, France), Nadir Belhadj (Portsmouth, England), Djamel Mesbah (Lecce, Italy)

Midfielders: Hassan Yebda (Portsmouth, England), Medhi Lacen (Racing Santander, Spain), Yazid Mansouri (Lorient, France), Adlene Guedioura (on loan at Wolverhampton, England from Charleroi, Belgium), Riad Boudebouz (Sochaux, France), Djamel Abdoun (Nantes, France), Fouad Kadir (Valenciennes, France), Mourad Meghni (Lazio, Italy), Karim Ziani (Wolfsburg, Germany), Karim Matmour (Borussia Moenchengladbach, Germany)

Strikers: Abdelkader Ghezzal (Siena, Italy), Rafik Djebbour (AEK Athens, Greece), Rafik Saifi (Istres, France)

Does anyone know the deadline that teams have to announce their teams to FIFA?

They dont get paid as much for playing for the national team as they do for the league team.

Is that right.

I think you will find they get paid very well paid for turning out for their country.

Like Van Persie got injured last year, the Dutch FA have been paying for his treatment, his salary and compensation to Arsenal

for the injury.

Me, well it would be an honour to represent my country and I would do it for nothing.

Yep, Kaka plays for Brazil, Luis Fabiano too. ;)

And why two scorers for Spain and England while none for Italia or Germany? It's just a suggestion... ;p