Stupid Question. Need an answer fast!

Well if he gave you 5 static IPs on the public side that cicso 800 is doing nat? Or it can for sure - so you should be able to get rid of your wireless router as your gateway and just use it an accesspoint, etc.

So instead of having everything going through my wireless router i can have it going through the Cisco thing correct? I kept on telling him that and i couldnt understand him but i think he said i need the router to route everything to the switch. I couldnt understand him so he was maybe telling me that i can take off the router lol. But he said the cisco thing needs to be there for the static IP's.

Also the technicians from the phone company agreed that they can come in and set up the system with some test lines so we can test the connection so we will see how that turns out :).

lol @ this thread title

Stupid Question. Need an answer fast!

Nearly 2 days and 4 pages later.... :laugh:

Well my answer was answered pretty fast but if you look at all my topics they are at least 4-5 pages lol

Well look to see what exact model that cisco 800 is, that series has integrated service routers.. And some of them even have cable or dsl modems in them, etc. So what exact devices do you have setup???

You really need to understand what they are installing.. Most of those install guys are complete "____"'s -- its rare that they are actually techs that understand what they are doing, for their night jobs they most likely either asking you if you want fries with that or paper or plastic they bag your purchase with ;)

A 800 series is a ROUTER -- you sure and the F do not need another one. You have a Modem already -- you have a router.. What exactly is that 800 series suppose to be doing?? Your linksys does not understand 5 IPs, etc.

What exact model of 800 series cisco router did he put in??

http://www.ciscosystems.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/prod_models_comparison.html

the original question was answered pretty fast, however there were other questions asked in this thread not relating to the original topic. Unless I am missing something where packet loss directly correlates to dhcp vs static.

Danny, you need to understand the hardware you have vs the hardware you need. It looks like you could have the Cisco 800 as the modem so your setup would look like Cisco 800 ----> Linksys ----->Switch -----> Lan Clients. Maybe even remove the Linksys.

Hi,

Alright in the back it says Cisco 851. If there is no need to keep the wireless linksys then I will just take it off. I don't need the wireless in this office anyway.

Danny, you need to understand the hardware you have vs the hardware you need. It looks like you could have the Cisco 800 as the modem so your setup would look like Cisco 800 ----> Linksys ----->Switch -----> Lan Clients. Maybe even remove the Linksys.

I asked him that he said the modem HAS to be there. Dont know why.

Is it a 851W or 851, if its not W then it does not support wireless -- but as you can see by the datasheet it clearly is a much better router than your old linksys ;)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/ps6195/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028a9a9.html

Now it clearly supports nat and pat - but you need to make sure its configured for such?? Do you have access into its interface? It does have a GUI (sdm) as well as a cli one. So you really don't need to know cisco iso to configure it.

But you clearly do not need the linksys any more - just need to be able to configure your cisco 851, which btw retails for like $260

Well yeah you need the modem - that 851 does not have a modem in it, some of the 800 series models do - but not th 851. So yeah you need the modem.. But once you have access to the cisco and con configure it you can remove the linksys.. I do not understand why the 2 guys out would not have brought this up to you?? Prob still a sleep from their night jobs of asking if you want fries with your bigmac ;)

Hey BudMan, I just called in Cable Vision and they transferred me to their "professional support team". So i called up the guy so he can explain to me the equipment that i have and he said that the modem is needed for the ultra high speeds, i am getting and the cisco thing needs to be there for the static IP's. He said if i did not have the cisco router than i cannot get the static IP's. I asked him if I can remove the wireless linksys router i have and configure the cisco and then connect the cisco to my switch. He said i need the wireless linksys because i need something to route the connections because the cisco does not do that.

Thats all i was able to get out of him.

Well my answer was answered pretty fast but if you look at all my topics they are at least 4-5 pages lol

lol, at least they are thorough ! :D

What is what I asked from the get go -- its impossible to actually see 100mbit if only 100mbit interfaces.

And I doubt that linksys can route with nat at close to 100mbit either.. But you could see with 100mbit interfaces is prob mid 90's

Love how they sell you 101mbit, but then the router they put in only has a 10/100 wan interface ;)

What is what I asked from the get go -- its impossible to actually see 100mbit if only 100mbit interfaces.

And I doubt that linksys can route with nat at close to 100mbit either.. But you could see with 100mbit interfaces is prob mid 90's

Love how they sell you 101mbit, but then the router they put in only has a 10/100 wan interface ;)

Yeah lol. What are you going to do thats that. Alright so I will probably be purchasing one of the routers that was mentioned above and loose the linksys as a router. I can just use it as an access point. BudMan if I upgrade to one of the routers you specified above, do you think that will increase our speeds infact will it increase anything?

Wow Danny you need to get a grip! I cant beleive your attitude of "I dont know" when your setting up someones network like that! Anyway You would just use the Cisco Modem connected to a switch if it did NATing. Jobs a good un!

BudMan Sorry I didnt see you already brought up this issue.

Um they already gave you a router - are you going to take it out? I would ask them how they expect you to get 101Mbps when the router they gave you only has a 10/100 mbit wan interface ;)

Why don't you do a speed test with box directly connected to that cisco 851, I am also curious what IP you will get? Do they have nat setup on it? Do they have dhcp enabled? etc..

You might not be able to get 101, but should be close -- in the 90's you would hope. Putting in a different router with gig wan interface does not mean your going to get anything faster that what that cisco 851 can do - what interface does the modem have? I would assume that it has to be a docsis 3 to be able to sell you 101mbit - if so it should have a 10/100/1000 interface on the lan side.. What is the make and model number of the "modem"?

In the 800 series line I think you need a 891 or 892 to have gig wan interface. I do believe they both come with wireless N and have the ability for content filtering as well. But your looking at around $850 for a 891.

I asked him if i can use the cisco to replace my linksys router and he said no. The cisco does not route. He said i need the router to route everything.. Back to the router. The ones that were recommended in the beginning seem to focus more on firewalls and security. I need SPEED! So can anyone recommend a good router up to $500?

Thanks

You need Speed AND Security. So its a Cisco Modem right? Keep that and the Linksys device. The linksys device resides on your internal network right? Whats the issue . . .?

Edit: Am I missing something here but is this is?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6195/

If it is then it clearly states its a ROUTER. Why don't you set it up yourself and see if it routes traffic? Presumably from your LAN to the Internet????

Ok guys.. the moment of truth was last friday. So the guy comes in with the phones so we can test them. So he gets everything connected and set up and he connects his switch to my switch. Now he calls his office with one of the phones. The lady says 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 and we only heard 2 and half of 10... and thats when my heart stopped lol.... that means that the connection is BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!! So i got a bit worried... So then he says lets skip all of your equipment and connect this directly to your cisco 851... We connected it to the cisco and everything worked PERFECTLY!!! :)