Stupid Question. Need an answer fast!

can we just burry the idea that he can use the cisco as a firewall/router. The cable company is crap and the provide decent equipment to do nothing. Can we move on? and I thought Danny was hard headed. This is the way cable companies work, look at crapcast they do basically the same thing with their crappier smc's (but at least the smc's will give out a dhcp address as well as support static). Would love to ditch all of the smc's out there for my own product, but can't as it is tied into their service. We know that the cisco can handle more, they know that the cisco can handle more, do you think they are going to give him the admin user/password to be able to terminal or console in and mess it up (would you)? Technically he could break the password, but do you really want to do that for him?

I would suggest you go with the sonicwall -- but if your wanting to make full use of your bandwdith, I would prob look towards the say the 210 vs the 180.. Your best best would be to call sonicwall and give them what your wanting to do, the bandwidth you have available, etc. and have them size out the correct model for your needs.

couldn't agree more

can we just burry the idea that he can use the cisco as a firewall/router. The cable company is crap and the provide decent equipment to do nothing. Can we move on? and I thought Danny was hard headed. This is the way cable companies work, look at crapcast they do basically the same thing with their crappier smc's (but at least the smc's will give out a dhcp address as well as support static). Would love to ditch all of the smc's out there for my own product, but can't as it is tied into their service. We know that the cisco can handle more, they know that the cisco can handle more, do you think they are going to give him the admin user/password to be able to terminal or console in and mess it up (would you)? Technically he could break the password, but do you really want to do that for him?

They dont want to give those details away because to many people will be messing with them and then calling the cable vision to support the product because they f'd something up. Anyways i will give sonicwall a call now and see what they tell me.

Start with a base system from sw. They have modules that will get you over 1000 remember they are in sales and want to hook u for everything that can. Even though some things may make sense the question is will you be able to afford it, will you really need it.

They also will want to get you in the right base product to do what you need.

Budman,

I have a friend that manages an office and his set up is pretty much the same as mine. The thing is he has 25 pc's and i have 15 pc's and his connection is only 30 mb download with 5-8 mb upload while mine is above 80 mb download and above 15mb upload. He said that he had the same router as me the wireless link sys and the same thing was happening to him. His connection was dropping, it was showing a lot of packet loss and the speeds were not that great. He switched to this router: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0247107 and now everything works fine including the 25 phones and 25 computers. So i decided to go with that router and plus it has QoS. His network is twice as bigger than mine but his connection is twice slower and everything works fine.

Thanks for all of the help guys.

That is a GAME router.. Do you think its going to be able to give your users 90MB of bandwidth?? Try it and see -- but that is not a work place router.. Its for HOMES!! Its a toy really ;) Its not a business class solution at all.

And so does his current wrt54g2 -- and we see how well that is working for him ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-WRT54G2-Wireless-G-Broadband-Router/dp/B0014J07R2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1270651651&sr=8-1

With the Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router at the center of your home or office network

business=business class

home=home classe

soho=home class-small business class

small buisness=small business

why do we even bother.....you ask our recommendation you don't follow it. we recommend a business class appliance of which you can get support and can get them to configure the damn thing for you if you have issues and possibly learn somthing, and you get crap....... really, why bother asking? we aren't giving you a solution that isn't going to help you, we aren't giving you a solution that is going to hurt you or cost you a fortune, we are giving you a proper solution to an issue that you have that has far more capabilities than that pos dlink. Can that dlink support multiple one to one nats, I highly doubt it. According to that link it supports half duplex, what about full duplex????

That pos has no business in any business class environment. If I ever see that crap at a 15 user or more site I pull it out. I have been doing this crap far longer that you have, almost as long as budman (he has me beat by a couple of years) and you are really putting together a crap network for all of your hard work that you have done to try and make it like a business network.

"he has me beat by a couple of years" ??? Hmmmm Only a couple?? ;)

Im 45, and been playing/working with computers since pretty much since the PC has been around ;) I remember the first time I got a 2400 baud connection to a BBS, and how it was a Screaming Fast connection.. Taking fortran in highschool we had to actually hook the phone receiver into the modem with the rubber cups for the ear and mouth pieces so we could dial into the university mainframe so we could do our assignments.. And then crashing said mainframe with a rabbit program, etc.. I use to walk down to the library to get some time on the PET

280px-Commodore_PET2001.jpg

And I remember how jealous I was when my friend got his trs-80 before me ;) heheeh

Now you don't have your bday listed in your profile -- but I would hanker a guess I'm been doing this sort of stuff for more than a "couple" of years than you ;) hehehehe

But yeah Im with you 100% on your other comments :rofl: about that using that $99 gaming router in a business setup.

Bd is 10/21/75. I will be 36 this year, so you have about 10 years on me. Professionally I started in IT/MIS when I turned 20. I have played on the commodore pet, commodore 64, Apple IIe. Of course, this was when I was a las and we were learning how to program a stick figure doing jumping jacks in 3rd grade basic programming, but still. I was so jealous of my friends commodore 64, that was the schiznit back then, couldn't get enough of it. Then summer camp came around and they had commodore pets, about 8 of them if I remember, that was fun (almost as much as go karting). My first pc was a 286, followed by a pentium (I remember when they were fighting on calling it a 586). I am not as feeble as you think I am. While I dont go into the crazy detail you do 99% of the time, doesn't mean that I haven't been there or done that or don't understand what you are trying to sell. Just like you I have seen some wierd poop.

Oh I hear yah -- I have been very impressed with your posts! Lacking in details sometimes ;) But you clearly know what your talking about! Which we can always use more of!!

Your at a good age for IT... Since PCs were around when you were younger you got to start younger than me... Lucky ******!! I did not have the ability to take computer related classes until later part of junior high, early high school.. You got to start in 3rd grade? Lucky SOB!! So yeah your at a great age for the IT field..

I think we have some disagreements on the page file, but from what I remember from most threads - we are normally pretty much in tune on suggestions and advice.

sometimes you just have to ask for an explaination to get it out of me either that or just take my word for it. :p Or you can just come in and give an elaborate super long explaination.

So i got the router today. I test the linksys before i disconnect it. 25-30 mb download and 5mb upload with a **** load of packet loss as usual. I put the d-link and boy there is a difference. Directly connected to the cisco i was getting about 95mb download, with the d-link got up to 75-80 mb download and 15 mb upload... packet loss 0%.

So far so good.

Small update. The router works GREAT!!!! Awesome speeds, phones work awesome, network is much faster now. One problem i have now is the cabling. Meaning the cables that go from the patch to the switch. They are so unorganized and I dont know how to organize them neatly. I was looking at 1 ft patch cables but they were too short then they didn't have 2 ft so i bought 3 ft patch cables. Today i will spend some time to organize it a bit...

Danny the term you are looking for is cable management

right1.jpg

I personally like this kind where it hides the wires

Cable_Management_Rails.jpg

Here is where to buy it:

2U http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-03746-Horizontal-Management/dp/B00006MJFL/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1271080058&sr=8-2

or

1U http://www.amazon.com/ICC-ICCMSCMA41-management-horizontal-powder/dp/B0009AMUCC/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271080058&sr=8-14

Or you can go to your nearest graybar if you want or need today.

Exactly -- you want yours to look like sc302 examples... if you don't take care from the get go, it can grow to something like this ;)

wrong4.jpg

Exactly -- you want yours to look like sc302 examples... if you don't take care from the get go, it can grow to something like this ;)

wrong4.jpg

Ya know, I had this wiring diagram up at one of my sites that I took over in 2002. Brings back nightmares.