Stupid Question. Need an answer fast!

"The cisco does not route." :blink: :blink:

Its a cisco 851?? --> Then yes it does route and NAT.. Who ever told you it didn't is a MORON!! Its a ROUTER for gosh sake!!!

http://www.cisco-secure.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/ps6195/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028a9a9.html

Table 3. Software Features of the Cisco 850 Series

Routing Protocols and General Router Features

• Routing Information Protocol (RIPv1 and RIPv2)

• Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP)

• Network Address Translation (NAT) and Port Address Translation (PAT)

• RFC 1483/2684

• Point-to-Point Protocol over ATM (PPPoA) (Cisco 857)

• PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE)

• 802.1d Spanning Tree Protocol

• Dynamic Host Control Protocol (DHCP) server/relay/client

• Access control lists (ACLs)

• Generic routing encapsulation (GRE)

• Dynamic DNS Support for Cisco IOS

A ROUTER than can not route -- yeah that makes sense ;) They seem to not a CLUE at this place.

"We connected it to the cisco and everything worked PERFECTLY!!!"

Thought your cisco did didn't route?? So how did he connect to it hehehe.. You were prob double natting with your wireless router.. I've been on vac last week.. But its 100% sure that a cisco 851 routes ;) And you don't need any other router between it an your network -- cuz it can also NAT, etc... share your public IPs with multiple clients, etc... So how do you currently have it setup??

Thats what the internet guy told me... I asked the phone guy why the internet guy lied and he said they say that because they dont want you to use it as a router. They set them up that way, but he lied to you. So he just connected his voip switch directly to the cisco 851 and it picked up an IP and everything worked flawlessly.

The phones are not set up yet, this was just a test. But this is the way we currently have it set up. Internet Modem >> Cisco 851 >> Linksys Wireless Router >> Switch >> Computers

The way I am thinking of setting it up is like this (This one includes the phone system): Internet Modem >> Cisco 851 >> My switch & Phone Switch and then i can add the linksys router to my switch and use it as an access point. I also need to get a small cabinet to store my switch and the phone switch they are bringing in and a patch panel.

thanks

"The cisco does not route." :blink: :blink:

Its a cisco 851?? --> Then yes it does route and NAT.. Who ever told you it didn't is a MORON!! Its a ROUTER for gosh sake!!!

http://www.cisco-sec...cd8028a9a9.html

Table 3. Software Features of the Cisco 850 Series

Routing Protocols and General Router Features

• Routing Information Protocol (RIPv1 and RIPv2)

• Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP)

• Network Address Translation (NAT) and Port Address Translation (PAT)

• RFC 1483/2684

• Point-to-Point Protocol over ATM (PPPoA) (Cisco 857)

• PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE)

• 802.1d Spanning Tree Protocol

• Dynamic Host Control Protocol (DHCP) server/relay/client

• Access control lists (ACLs)

• Generic routing encapsulation (GRE)

• Dynamic DNS Support for Cisco IOS

A ROUTER than can not route -- yeah that makes sense ;) They seem to not a CLUE at this place.

"We connected it to the cisco and everything worked PERFECTLY!!!"

Thought your cisco did didn't route?? So how did he connect to it hehehe.. You were prob double natting with your wireless router.. I've been on vac last week.. But its 100% sure that a cisco 851 routes ;) And you don't need any other router between it an your network -- cuz it can also NAT, etc... share your public IPs with multiple clients, etc... So how do you currently have it setup??

I thought the CISCO 851 was going to be the internet modem. And I dont understand the first bit at all. . . ." because they dont want you to use it as a router" Why not? . . . Give me one good reason . . .

Yeah its seems utterly asinine to give the customer a 851, or maybe you paid for it?? The 851 does not have a modem it in -- its just a router. Your looking at a $250 device.. That is a router - but you should not use it as such? What exactly is it doing then? How exactly is going to use your 5 static IPs if its not routing??

Yeah its seems utterly asinine to give the customer a 851, or maybe you paid for it?? The 851 does not have a modem it in -- its just a router. Your looking at a $250 device.. That is a router - but you should not use it as such? What exactly is it doing then? How exactly is going to use your 5 static IPs if its not routing??

Hey, I don't know.. thats what they said. I asked him 4 times and actually called support and they told me the same thing. They said you MUST keep your linksys router to route everything... I dont know why, but thats what they said.

Hey, I don't know.. thats what they said. I asked him 4 times and actually called support and they told me the same thing. They said you MUST keep your linksys router to route everything... I dont know why, but thats what they said.

keep a pos yugo vs a acura tl.....great advise. i really dont like these cable companies in nj they should all be burnt at the same stake. The only probable reason for them stating this is that they do not want to give you access over the device, because if you change anything it could cause issues with your service that they can possibly be held liable for (even though in their online terms of agreement it says that they cant), and they probably use that password for every other business customer.

The question here is Danny, Do you understand what is required? How do you figure the linksys sitting on your network. As long as your happy with what each devices job is then that's fine!

keep a pos yugo vs a acura tl.....great advise. i really dont like these cable companies in nj they should all be burnt at the same stake. The only probable reason for them stating this is that they do not want to give you access over the device, because if you change anything it could cause issues with your service that they can possibly be held liable for (even though in their online terms of agreement it says that they cant), and they probably use that password for every other business customer.

I have an acura tl type S lol.

Sawyer, i don't think the linksys is needed so it should be taken out. It is doing it's job but, it could be better.

I have an acura tl type S lol.

ot - i was looking at them used, but ended up getting a new 2010 nissan altima 3.5sr (replaced the 3.5se). couldn't resist the intellegent key (proximity entry with push button start, keys never have to leave my pocket), the 270 hp, the 25mpg, or the 0 miles for the same price, I drive too damn far to not have all that I want (fumbling with keys or finding keyfobs when getting to my car to put a server in the trunk or computers in the back seat is no longer fun)

If he is on optimum business the cisco router does NOT ROUTE . It is mainly used as a point to give out static ips. Thats it. I have optimum (powertolearn) and we have our own router behing the cisco.

I got mine new 3 months ago. It was about $43,000 fully loaded. It was the highest one they had. I like speed so it was the right car for me :). Back to the topic :)

If he is on optimum business the cisco router does NOT ROUTE . It is mainly used as a point to give out static ips. Thats it. I have optimum (powertolearn) and we have our own router behing the cisco.

it can and has the ability to. not yours or his that optimum has disabled or defunked that feature. waste of a decent router/firewall imo.

Thats what the technician said.. Its just used to give out the static IP's. . .

I know it has the ability to do so. Cablevision uses them to give out static IP"s. Cablevision Doesnt use them as routers because then they have to support the router.

If the person truly needs a service that has a router that the company supports they need to go to cablevisions optimum lightpath that has an SLA and managed router.

His best bet is pfsense. All you need is a computer with 2 network cards.

This way he will be assured that he will get the full speed.

I got mine new 3 months ago. It was about $43,000 fully loaded. It was the highest one they had. I like speed so it was the right car for me :). Back to the topic :)

with that much on the line, you could have gotten a 335i and waited to get the dinan s2 signature series mod. lots of fun, reminds me of my old supercharged mustang which was dyno'd at 425 rwhp after I sold it (man I miss that car).

back to the topic. :)

with that much on the line, you could have gotten a 335i and waited to get the dinan s2 signature series mod. lots of fun, reminds me of my old supercharged mustang which was dyno'd at 425 rwhp after I sold it (man I miss that car).

back to the topic. :)

Yeah, i really liked the acura so thats why I went with it. My brother just bought an Audi A5 and boy its amazing.

If his is not using the cisco as a router -- how exactly does he use the static IPs?? I doubt that linksys is going to be able to handle the load of his users and that kind of bandwidth, etc.. Sure he could use it as accesspoint for wireless.. But if he can not use the cisco as his gateway - he is going to need to get something better than some $50 soho router.

If his is not using the cisco as a router -- how exactly does he use the static IPs?? I doubt that linksys is going to be able to handle the load of his users and that kind of bandwidth, etc.. Sure he could use it as accesspoint for wireless.. But if he can not use the cisco as his gateway - he is going to need to get something better than some $50 soho router.

With the cisco if he gave everything attached to it one of the ip's given to him then yes it would route but would leave everything open to the outside network .

He Does need something better then the linksys. Cablevision wont let you touch the cisco (for the shear fact they dont want to support it asa managed router . They want you to subscribe to optimum lightpath for that). His best bet is to use pfsense or something similiar on an unsed computer with 2 network cards.

With the cisco if he gave everything attached to it one of the ip's given to him then yes it would route but would leave everything open to the outside network .

He Does need something better then the linksys. Cablevision wont let you touch the cisco (for the shear fact they dont want to support it asa managed router . They want you to subscribe to optimum lightpath for that). His best bet is to use pfsense or something similiar on an unsed computer with 2 network cards.

no his best bet is to use a drop in internet based device like a sonicwall, as well as a device that offers 24x7x365 phone support.. you don't know danny and what he is capable of, the pfsense is far far above and beyond his current capabilities and understanding, you would have to put it together for him and send him the box with stickies telling him where to put what. I am all for learn by doing, go through some of his other posts to get an idea.

Sorry danny, you are getting there, but not there yet.

no his best bet is to use a drop in internet based device like a sonicwall, as well as a device that offers 24x7x365 phone support.. you don't know danny and what he is capable of, the pfsense is far far above and beyond his current capabilities and understanding, you would have to put it together for him and send him the box with stickies telling him where to put what. I am all for learn by doing, go through some of his other posts to get an idea.

Sorry danny, you are getting there, but not there yet.

You can buy support through pfsense. Also With my experience pfsense is much easier to use then a lot of stand alone products.

Also the fact that he has a 100/15 conenction he wouldnt have to worry about buying a router/firewall and find out that it doesnt have the horsepower to drive his connection.

Question: What would happen if i plugged in my switch directly into the cisco? Will everything still work?

What do you think would happen? . . . In terms of NATing, Routing, Getting Static IP's (On the internet). You tell us. ;):huh::wacko::pinch::blink::shifty::whistle::rolleyes:

Question: What would happen if i plugged in my switch directly into the cisco? Will everything still work?

Is that a serious question?

-----------------

Cisco 877 would be able to handle about 80-90mbit/15mbit

1811 or something should be able to deal with the whole bandwidth without any issue.

^^ The above I would not recommend Danny setup, I would recommend he pays someone to complete this task.

"Question: What would happen if i plugged in my switch directly into the cisco? Will everything still work?"

Well what IP do you get when you plug a device into the cisco?? Ie what IP does your router have on its internet interface -- if one of your static IPs.. Did you set it or did the cisco hand it out?

If the cisco is handing out the 5 public IPs you have -- then 5 devices would work for internet. But they would be WIDE open to the public net, and that would not be a good thing.

If its handing out private IPs?????? ie 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, 172.16-31.x.x?? Then it is doing nat and sure you could plug your switch directly into it and your devices and everything should work.. Other than if you do not have access to the cisco you can not setup port forwards? You have no idea of a ip is open to inbound ports? You can not manipulate dhcp scope or reservations, etc. etc. If you do not have control of the gateway then no you should not be plugging end devices directly into it even if giving out private IP. Do you have access to the cisco's admin interface or console? If not then no do not use it as your border device..

Im guessing its giving out your public IPs -- so your going to need another router that can handle the bandwidth, etc. Keep in mind that even that 851 can not give you what your paying for.. Its just impossible for you to be seeing 101MB (what your paying for right???) when the thing has a 100mbit wan interface for starters. So BEST you could ever see is mid 90s -- so why and the hell do they call it 101MB service if they give you a device that can not provide that bandwidth to a end device???