Briton is recognised as world's first officially genderless person

now just watch all restrooms will have the have a neutral door

Tbh, I think it's a little sad we have to have them split in the first place. (Obviously there are some layout changes for unisex restrooms - more suite-like cubicles, for example)

Ultimatly, one could say that the next step in human evolution is to become a genderless and raceless society and that the bounderies that sex, sexism and racismcause will be a thing of the past. We will, in all ways, be a fair and just society with no persecutions.

We all have a sexual drive.

Really?

Asexuality

---

With so many people in biological and psychological grey areas, it hardly makes sense to insist on the black and white male/female and it certainly isn't fair on those people who don't neatly fit into either category.

(Y)

whether he has balls or not he still had them, so it makes him a male. no matter what he does he will still be male. its like me saying if you get an audi and remove all the logos then its not an audi anymore.

HE...has an X and a Y chromosome in every cell in HIS body.....therefore, male. And whoever said gender is based on how you feel, what you wear etc...rubbish. Transvestites don't call themselves female, they at least admit that they are still men who just dnt like mens clothing, and prefer to dress like women. What sort of ridiculous society do we live in that accepts this nonsensical gibberish "I'm a girl! No, I'm a boy! No wait, I'm actually neither, and I want everyone to know about it" What if I wanted to become a dog? Could I claim cos I sniff peoples arses and pee wherever I please and bark at postmen that I'm a dog?

NO!

The issue isnt that he thinks he's neither a boy or a girl, it's some crazy **** that happened to him as a kid which means he's either an attention seeker or just doesn't know what he is. Fix the psychological problem, this just makes it worse!

and whoever said genderless, raceless society is human evolution...think that through a bit. Raceless, we'd all have to be something, so wat do we become? All black? All chinese? All caucasian? how about all aryan? I think somebody very famous springs to mind.....Hitler?

Genderless society, no babies, no human offspring, extinction....yeah, perfect society. Societies problem is morons who thrive on conflict, and would rather post stupid comments like "uuuuugh this guy should die for being a bit troubled" than think about what actually might be the case.

Also, even if we created a way of having children after we chopped all of our knobs off, they'd be born either male or female and then we'd just chop those bits off and hey presto! it's nothing! Still got X and Y chromosomes. Ockhams razor, if u dnt know what it is, look it up, says not to multiply entities needlessly, so whoever says "well, theres more than just biology as to whether ur male or female" WRONG. At the most simplified level, it comes down to chromosomes, anything else is just noise and can be reduced biologically to something else.

and i'm not hating on this guy, he's clearly got problems and needs proper help to live happily with himself, not a temporary nonsense solution like chopping and changing physical aspects of himself, and the truth is he won't be happy eventually that he's neither, cos that's clearly not the real problem. He's been made a spectacle by the media for losers to have inane conversations about on forums, which as u can see by my sole two posts, i don't do. The same as every celeb who walks outside without make-up, or looks terrible, it's like the worlds been turned upside down for some idiots. Get a life!

I'm shocked at myself for being disturbed by this. I have not problem with homosexuals, gender reassignment is fairly hard to understand for me but just choosing to be mutilated is mildly scary to me. Obviously I'd never stop someone if they wanted to do it but something deep inside me just went "No! Protect your balls!" when this topic came up.

and whoever said genderless, raceless society is human evolution...think that through a bit. Raceless, we'd all have to be something, so wat do we become? All black? All chinese? All caucasian? how about all aryan? I think somebody very famous springs to mind.....Hitler?

Quick point - he mentioned nothing about forcing anything. He just implied a natural progression. You're reading things into it that he didn't say:

Ultimatly, one could say that the next step in human evolution is to become a genderless and raceless society and that the bounderies that sex, sexism and racismcause will be a thing of the past. We will, in all ways, be a fair and just society with no persecutions.

like i said, what if i wanted to be a dog? if you talked to any psychologist they would know that that isn't actually my problem. The same with ppl who enjoy killing ppl for sport, they dont just WANT to, end of. There's a deeper psychological reason that they deviate from the norm, that is reducible to psychobiology. Name me the hormone that accounts for the desire to be no-gender? Like a true scientist, i suppose, i'll concede that maybe he does have that "gender changing desire" hormone, but what other mammals, fish, or lizard do you see smashing their nuts against rocks to become genderless? everything has a cause, there's no such thing as "just is"

also, like sum1 said previously, if i lost my parts in a car accident wud i be no gender? no, i would be a man, as per my DNA, the same way my DNA says that i have lungs, a liver, and whatever else, and that when in a stressful situation i will release adrenaline.

Ok, so we need to come up with a new way of 'calling' them. He is for male, she is for female, we can't stick with 'it' really so... shim? seh?

What about their version of his/her?

Do you leave the toilet seat up or down for them?

Do they bow or curtsy?

So much to ponder over...

It is a pity some commentators here choose to make light of this individuals situation. I am not a moraliser, but:

We all have a sexual drive. This is required so that there is population growth/stability. The pleasure of the sex act is the incentive to mate and multiply. Hijack the pleasure aspect of the sexual act and ignore the real purpose, and trouble is guaranteed. Sex as addiction is not joke. Because laying down a rule whereby sex = happiness is a flawed recipe. What happens between one 'satisfying' sexual act and another, between one fix and another. Don't even go there. That is the bad news. The good news is that we are all in this together, struggling throughout life with our sexual demons (keeping in mind always that MONOGAMY IS NOT A FACT OF LIFE and anyone who claims otherwise is a liar, very religious (wow!) or liviing in cuckoo-land. All this is called the Human Condition, no way out, all in the same boat. Many find it difficult to cope with their drives and take to drugs, alcohol, dangerous sexual activities, irresponsible behaviour, etc.

This person's (genderless) story sounds familiar. He was unhappy as a man (see above). He decided to be a woman, hoping for what exactly? and that didn't work out (be careful what you pray for, it might come to pass.....). So he wanted another change and went for the neutral (sounds like a lesson in Latin syntax, this). He cannot cope with his sexuality, whatever it is so he shops around. So, male, female, neuter. Possibly last stop because there are no other genders. Unless we discover some dead language on clay tablets that had more genders beyond the neutral. Some hope!! So if neutrality does not come up trumps, where does one turn to next? The animal kingdom? They have sex drives too from what I understand.

I disagree with you here. There is no such thing as sex addiction. All it means is that the persons mate can not keep up with the sex drive. Now getting back to the question at hand, this person is still male regardless of how many operations that they have. If you have Y chromosome your male period, end of discussion. Yes there are freaks of nature that dont develop properly but they are genetically supposed to be male. What kills me is when its like stupidly obvious that the person is a man or male and they try to deny it. Like that track star that recently was found out to be genetically male. I knew right off the bat from looking at his face he was a dude.

Quick point - he mentioned nothing about forcing anything. He just implied a natural progression. You're reading things into it that he didn't say:

I understand wat u mean, however i merely meant his attitude sounded much like hitlers, that one race in terms of natural progression is better than many. And i know u'll think, well hitler forcing that ideology on everyone wasn't natural progression, but it would have been had he succeeded. He was created by natural means to be that way. To hitler, that was naturally the best solution, as destruction is a natural part of our universe. If he had succeeded that would have been the natural progression in our world, however much of a **** he was. We arent exempt from nature, even if we destroy each other.

Since people are given unique ID numbers, it doesn't really matter what it says in the sex category of your ID if the government needs to identify you or if such category is even necessary. But hey, it won't be gone, I know :)

What if I wanted to become a dog? Could I claim cos I sniff peoples arses and pee wherever I please and bark at postmen that I'm a dog?

lmao.

OT:

Some really weird people in this world.

If it doesn't want to have a sex then it doesn't have to. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with that

I see what you did there.

Seriously, how many times do I have to post http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_taxonomy

It's the first bullet point!

Those researchers' names are rather amusing.

Anyways, "Gender taxonomy" makes the subject more difficult than it actually is. So, why get into that? :laugh:

Why, indeed? :shifty:

He doesn't have a genetic condition that results in not having genitals. His traits were expressed.

True, but the point I mean to make is that gender and sex is a more complex subject than one's obvious features. In his case, it is certainly more complex - it's not just based on his physical or genetic form.

Not aimed at you specifically, but I just don't see why people are obsessed about whether another person identifies in a different way to the ways they know. It doesn't affect them in the slightest. "Male" and "female" are I suppose more tied to physical form, since you can be "male" but don't have to act male (e.g. you can be gay) - but they aren't utter certainties, and this person has had specific changes to his physical form that affect those terms.

True, but the point I mean to make is that gender and sex is a more complex subject than one's obvious features. In his case, it is certainly more complex - it's not just based on his physical or genetic form.

Not aimed at you specifically, but I just don't see why people are obsessed about whether another person identifies in a different way to the ways they know. It doesn't affect them in the slightest. "Male" and "female" are I suppose more tied to physical form, since you can be "male" but don't have to act male (e.g. you can be gay) - but they aren't utter certainties, and this person has had specific changes to his physical form that affect those terms.

Gender is purely genetic. Intersexed people are a genetic condition. People often confuse the concepts of 'gender' (your reproductive role purely determined by genetics) and 'gender identity' (your societal role based on your gender*). While he can play the role of somebody who is gender neutral, female, or male, he'll always be male. He is genetically male. As such his gender classification is male.

*Note that in order for a gender identity to exist one must first have a gender.