new feature in photoshop CS5

I am downloading trials right now.

So does the new feature really work as advertsed?

Yes and no

If you are removing an object larger than the detail you want it replaced with, it will make mistakes as it looks at what there is the majority of near it, and uses that as the fill

If you are removing a person from a field, then yes, perfectly

I find removing part of the large object first and getting that right first, gives the program a much better chance of matching the correct surroundings

Take this picture for example, I removed the full fence all at once, and it filled the space with some grass, some tree and some sunshine rays, but you can spot heal again and again and it gets better and better each time until you have a pretty decent edit

capturelw.jpg

Yes and no

If you are removing an object larger than the detail you want it replaced with, it will make mistakes as it looks at what there is the majority of near it, and uses that as the fill

If you are removing a person from a field, then yes, perfectly

I find removing part of the large object first and getting that right first, gives the program a much better chance of matching the correct surroundings

Take this picture for example, I removed the full fence all at once, and it filled the space with some grass, some tree and some sunshine rays, but you can spot heal again and again and it gets better and better each time until you have a pretty decent edit

capturelw.jpg

That fence is so big part of the image you'll never get a good result without a second image to borrow replacement parts from though. as is seen by the obvious cloning repetition on the grass.

granted, it's a better picture with the fence anyway but :)

True :)

It found this picture a lot easier to edit - smaller objects to remove, and much more surroundings to match with

catpture.jpg

These are all 30 second jobs - I imagine with some time and care you could make some Extremely realistic edits

captudfgre.jpg

ummm, you don't have to work for a magazine to want to remove some powerlines or other random unwanted elements from your otherwise perfect or even just good shot. Especially if you do landscape, and well, there's nowhere in the world you can get a good landscape shot today without some random powerline ruining the shot.

I think he was just pointing out a specific field where it'll become helpful and not saying ONLY magazines will benefit from it.

I think he was just pointing out a specific field where it'll become helpful and not saying ONLY magazines will benefit from it.

Not if you see it in context with his quote.

Well there is a read up in the CS5 help file that is from October 2009 stating it will be in future Photoshop products - I can find the patch tool, but it is not anything like the demo

----

See Photoshop's Amazing Patch Match

Adobe Labs is experimenting with amazing new patch and fill technologies that may appear in a future version of Photoshop.

Written by Terri Stone on October 22, 2009

@PhenomII,

Unfortunately the tool is not available for download, only the source code of the algorithm is available.

@PhenomII,

Unfortunately the tool is not available for download, only the source code of the algorithm is available.

Ah bummer, thanks for the info

Maybe CS6 ...

Other?

Anyhow ive downloaded the trial but my 7800gt with newest Nvidia drivers ( since last night ) has problem with opengl acceleration so photoshop seems rather slow.

I am loving Photoshop CS5 and everything else right now from Master Suite. These new features just make workflow SO much easier and better!

• 1 month later...

I would abuse this feature as I have not so steady hands and end up with bad flare. Good/Decent pictures, bad flare. So yes bring it on Adobe!

Use a lens hood or shoot at different times of day when sun is higher/lower...problem solved.