Apply for Steam Mac Beta

To those in the beta, are we able to customize where the game data files will go? This is going to be a problem for me if we're limited to our library or Applications folders, as I'm very limited on space on my main drive.

To those in the beta, are we able to customize where the game data files will go? This is going to be a problem for me if we're limited to our library or Applications folders, as I'm very limited on space on my main drive.

All game data is saved to "~/Documents/Steam Content" and I haven't found a way to customize this... As there isn't an option to change this in Windows either (iirc) I guess we'll have live with this location :)

As there isn't an option to change this in Windows either (iirc) I guess we'll have live with this location :)

In Windows, games are installed in the Steam folder. For example: if you installed Steam on D: drive, your games will be on that drive too, so there is an "option" to change it.

Is it just Portal and Half Life on release day?

Apparently it's all in house gamers, TF2, Portal, L4D, HL1+2 +eps etc etc

Is it just Portal and Half Life on release day?

Half Life isn't available in the beta yet; more likely Portal and TF2 on release day plus a few indie games...

If the review is right and Torchlight is installable on OS X, woohoo! :D

Tomorrow should be a fun day.

I fully plan on installing L4D2 first then perhaps torchlight and TF2

If the review is right and Torchlight is installable on OS X, woohoo! :D

Tomorrow should be a fun day.

It is :D

Steam For Mac Launch Details Revealed

Press Releases - Valve 09:01 | Roll Out Begins Weds, May 12

May 11, 2010 - Valve announced that Steam will launch on the Mac platform this Wednesday, May 12.

On subsequent Wednesdays, additional collections of Mac titles will become available, each designed to highlight specific functionalities of Steam on the Mac.

The first collection of Mac titles will demonstrate "Steam Play," which allows customers to purchase a game once and play it on all Steam supported platforms.

Portal, in addition to supporting Steam Play, will be the first of Valve's Source engine based games available on the Mac. Native OS/X support for the Source engine is also available immediately to licensees for use in their games.

Among the initial titles available on Wednesday will be Runic Games' critically acclaimed Torchlight. "We're very excited to be bringing Torchlight to the Mac," said Max Schaefer, co-founder of Runic Games. "Having Steam for the Mac solves so many problems for us as a developer. We look forward to our future games coming out on the Mac as well."

In addition to bringing the online functionality of Steam to the Mac, Valve will also make its Steamworks suite of publishing and development tools available on the Mac platform. These include product key authentication, copy protection, auto-updating, social networking, matchmaking, anti-cheat technology, and more. The features and services available in Steamworks are offered free of charge and may be used for both electronic and tangible versions of games.

Portal for Mac launches tomorrow

Torchlight for Mac launches tomorrow

For more information on Steam, please visit www.steamgames.com.

Share: Facebook Digg Google Buzz Twitter

Source: Steam

All game data is saved to "~/Documents/Steam Content" and I haven't found a way to customize this... As there isn't an option to change this in Windows either (iirc) I guess we'll have live with this location :)

I wonder if a symbolic link would do the trick for that. Anyone know?

The first collection of Mac titles will demonstrate "Steam Play' date='" which allows customers to purchase a game once and play it on all Steam supported platforms.

Among the initial titles available on Wednesday will be Runic Games' critically acclaimed Torchlight.[/quote']

Does this mean Torchlight will be free for Mac users who own the PC version? Seeing as it's not a Valve game I'm wondering how many third-party devs will "give away" the Mac versions.

Does this mean Torchlight will be free for Mac users who own the PC version? Seeing as it's not a Valve game I'm wondering how many third-party devs will "give away" the Mac versions.

From the sounds of it, I guess it is true :). I do hope so. I hate playing the game under Crossover and VMWare. It's almost perfect, but there's some glaring bugs that annoy me. Having it native with the steam cloud support will be awesome.

Digital Spy is reporting that Steam for Mac is now live but I'm buggered if I can find a download link. :unsure:

Digital Spy is reporting that Steam for Mac is now live but I'm buggered if I can find a download link. :unsure:

I don't think it's actually released yet.

Looks like Valve hasn't flipped a switch yet. It comes up with an error that "Steam for Mac is stilled in closed beta."