[Official] Red Dead Redemption

Asked & Answered: Special Red Dead Multiplayer Edition

19.jpg

In the wake of last week's Red Dead Redemption multiplayer gameplay video unveiling the game's Competitive Modes, and the related screens and section update earlier this week ? we've received a number of questions from the inquiring minds of eager fans. In response, we present this special Red Dead multiplayer edition of Asked & Answered.

Please understand that we are not going to be able to answer every single question that comes our way ? but do look for more Asked & Answereds leading up to the game itself being in your hands in just about three weeks now...

"Is there auto aim on multiplayer for RDR?" ? received via Twitter

Like the single player game, there are three targeting modes available to choose from: Casual, Normal and Expert. Casual is full lock, Normal snaps-to-target but does not lock on, and Expert has no assist. You can configure your own personal targeting to suit your preferences in any game by using the multiplayer playlists in the menu.

For Competitive games, there are Casual playlists for all game types that are exclusively Casual targeting mode, or that allow players to mix it up and play against each other across a variety of the three targeting types.

There are also playlists for Gang Matches and Free For All games which allow players to use Normal or Expert targeting together (but not Casual).

For advanced players that prefer to strictly play against other free-aimers, Hardcore and Veteran playlists that exclusively support Expert targeting can be used for all Gang Matches and Free For All Games.

It's also worth noting that honing your multiplayer skills with the more advanced Normal and Expert targeting styles will reward you with bonus XP to level up faster than those using Casual.

"Can we only have 16 players be in a "free roam" lobby world? I was hoping that there could be lots of real players in a single "free roam" world but either way it will be awesome." ? El_Bandido_RDR

Our goal is to ensure that Red Dead Redemption's multiplayer sits comfortably alongside the single-player game in terms of our own incredibly high standards of quality, production values and attention to detail. Red Dead's multiplayer gives players online a gigantic open world to roam around in, complete with a fully functioning ecosystem including animals to hunt and horses to ride, ambient challenges, towns full of NPCs and law enforcement? all taking place under a dynamic day/night cycle and weather system ? as well as the option to dive into competitive modes at any time, all without sacrificing the detail that makes the single-player game so amazing. Trust that with 16 players all able to jump in and out of any aspect of this world at any time, Red Dead Redemption's multiplayer pushes the limits to the brink of what's currently possible with open-world multiplayer on consoles.

"Will there be health regeneration???" ? Bigdragon8me

Yes. As in the single-player game, your health will regenerate as you play multiplayer matches.

"Has the cover/aiming system been updated since Grand Theft Auto IV... mainly ability to aim out of cover without firing?" - Zack26

Yes, you can aim while in cover, which will spin you out/up to display the reticule and set your shot before firing the weapon. You will not be able to aim precisely without leaning out to fire, but you can look around while in cover in order to blindfire (with less precision) or to set up your inital aim in preparation for leaning out to take a shot.

"I wonder how the dead eye will feel in multiplayer mode?" - willspeed

We have designed it to be both fun and effective in the multiplayer modes. It doesn't slow down time like it does in the single-player game for obvious reasons, but painting targets to take down multiple enemies can be great strategy in modes like Gold Rush, where more than one opponent is fighting over the same objective.

"R* can we enter a team multiplayer game like Grab The Bag without being in a posse?" - Byside

Yes. Creating posses in multiplayer isn't a requirement, it just makes things easier and more fun for you and your friends, especially in Free Roam sessions where you may want to tackle some of the challenges together, like heading out to a gang hideout or looking for a hunting challenge.

"Are the posses always the same or do they change if u go off online like they're just teams for that round?" ? wyliemyster

Each time you head into Red Dead Redemption multiplayer, you will create new posses according to the players in your session. While posses are not persistent offline, if you and your friends want to always play together as a ruthless band of outlaws, we've made the multiplayer menu and invite system simple and easy enough to find each other online, posse up, and challenge others in Competitive matches whenever you'd like.

"How many weapons can you carry at once?" - Rodriguer2000

There is no hard limit to the amount of weapons you can carry - you can carry every weapon you pick up, and switch between weapons in a given class using the d-pad + weapon in the pause menu. In Competitive matches, different areas will have different weapon load-outs - for example, the larger area of Diez Coronas offers a sniper rifle to offset the power of the cannon and gatling gun placements. Choosing the appropriate weapon for the task, and conserving ammo for that weapon is key to effective strategy.

"Hey R* I still need to know, will we be able to swim in RDR?" - captaincabbage

As an outlaw character who's spent most of his life on horseback in the land-locked territories of the West - John Marston is not much of a swimmer. If he has to cross a body of water, transport will be provided. John has no problem wading, but if he gets too deep, he will drown.

"Can your horse jump?" - Zack26

Yes. Not only can you make your horse jump at any time, but your horse's basic intelligence enables it to vault over low objects and avoid other obstacles - like cliff edges - naturally, allowing you to focus on the business of riding and/or shooting.

"The multiplayer info so far looks awesome!!! What's up with the shootouts that happen when you start a match? How'd you guys come up with that??" ? received via Mouthoff

Throughout the development of the game, we were looking for as many classic Western moments to pack into the game as possible. The concept of a Mexican stand-off, with gunfighters suspensefully poised, looking into the eyes of their killers seemed well suited to the game and also a great way to get acquainted with the players in a match before you set about trying to kill them. Team Games start with both sides lined up in a Showdown. Free For All matches start with the Standoff with everyone in a circle. It makes it really tense with everyone pointing their gun at other players ? and it is actually possible for everyone to get killed right at the start.

Source

I'll pickup this bad boy when I'm in Florida (Y)

I noticed Amazon.com are giving you a $20 Amazon card when you pre-order this just now!!

Just watched the "life in" episodes, holy **** my hype meter sky rocketed.

I'm guessing from the videos there's some sort of "generic" moral system in place here? Such as your fame being bad/good? I don't really care if it's revolutionary or as black/white as most other games, just wondering if you have the flexibility or the story is pre-determined (such as you play as a good guy).

Aye, it looks fantastic - Rockstar usually has an eye for the extreme details and that's what sets their games apart (Y)

As for a moral system based on the fame, no idea - Haven't heard or read anything detailed about it yet.

Aye, it looks fantastic - Rockstar usually has an eye for the extreme details and that's what sets their games apart (Y)

As for a moral system based on the fame, no idea - Haven't heard or read anything detailed about it yet.

The game just looks leaps and bounds ahead of GTA4 graphically as well, especially the colour palette, the whole of GTA4 did look quite grim. I know the nitty gritty feel suited GTA4, but if anyone says this is just GTA4 with horses I'll laugh.gif

Yeah, I think partly it's due to having more time to polish and spit-shine the Rage engine, and because there's less to render overall from what I can see. In GTA 4 you had all the buildings, pedestrians and the

activity that was going on around you. Here, there's more open space and the activity is confined to the towns and camps. So they could probably squeeze a bit more out of it.

As for comparing this to GTA 4, while I haven't seen the comparison yet it would be quite narrow-minded - Although, having played GTA 4 it gives you a pretty good idea how the game will act and feel on a more general

level being the same graphics and physics engine, having similar cover and aim systems but that is definitely not a bad thing.

I'm actually excited about them using europhoria again, best physics engine ever!

Yeah, I think partly it's due to having more time to polish and spit-shine the Rage engine, and because there's less to render overall from what I can see. In GTA 4 you had all the buildings, pedestrians and the

activity that was going on around you. Here, there's more open space and the activity is confined to the towns and camps. So they could probably squeeze a bit more out of it.

As for comparing this to GTA 4, while I haven't seen the comparison yet it would be quite narrow-minded - Although, having played GTA 4 it gives you a pretty good idea how the game will act and feel on a more general

level being the same graphics and physics engine, having similar cover and aim systems but that is definitely not a bad thing.

I'm actually excited about them using europhoria again, best physics engine ever!

The cover system actually looks a lot like Uncharted 2's :rofl:

At least the way you can see the character run and fluidly snap into cover.

The physics definitely look good.

Is there any mention of this game getting DLC? Seeing as I'm picking up an American copy I'll need to buy all my DLC from the USA store.

The cover system actually looks a lot like Uncharted 2's :rofl:

At least the way you can see the character run and fluidly snap into cover.

The physics definitely look good.

Is there any mention of this game getting DLC? Seeing as I'm picking up an American copy I'll need to buy all my DLC from the USA store.

As long as that's the only thing from Uncharted >.>

No mention, no but what game doesn't have DLC these days ... Might as well expect it.

Euphoria, isn't really a physics engine.

It's also a physics engine for human movement and that's what I'm gonna call it :) ( Do stand corrected on the misspelling though (Y) )

The multiplayer in this looks good as well, not a tacked on POS.

Some of the modes seem to have a more laid back feel that would suit my tastes, so I might actually dip into the MP in this, where as in GTA4 I never even gave it a whiff.

The only thing I'm worried about is how the PS3 version turns out, with GTA4 on the PS3 being sub-HD and lacking AA, I hope we don't go through that same fare again.... Especially considering this game does look much more detailed for the reasons Sethos explained earlier.

The multiplayer in GTA isn't what I'd called tacked on but it did feel very rough and had a few shortfalls ( If that was the game you were referring to ).

Multiplayer in RDR seems to be a focal point which has hopefully increased the quality overall, I could definitely see myself spending so many hours in free-roam

and just chilling out :laugh: I hope the netcode is up to snuff and received a bit of polish from GTA 4.

As for the technical side of things, I would probably keep my hopes high as developing for the PS3 has reached new heights and they should have been able to push

the engine to the same level as on the 360. They had a long time to tweak the engine ...

The multiplayer in GTA isn't what I'd called tacked on but it did feel very rough and had a few shortfalls ( If that was the game you were referring to ).

Multiplayer in RDR seems to be a focal point which has hopefully increased the quality overall, I could definitely see myself spending so many hours in free-roam

and just chilling out :laugh: I hope the netcode is up to snuff and received a bit of polish from GTA 4.

As for the technical side of things, I would probably keep my hopes high as developing for the PS3 has reached new heights and they should have been able to push

the engine to the same level as on the 360. They had a long time to tweak the engine ...

They've shown off no PS3 footage at all though. I'm hoping it's either one of two things,

a) 360 is lead build so it's always a bit ahead and it makes sense to use it for public presentations.

or

b) MS have a marketing deal with Rockstar to pimp the 360 version - Usually MS manage to bag exclusive commercials and the likes with big 3rd party titles.

We'll see though....

Oh and **** this, my PS3 is coming on holiday with me as well and getting hooked up to the Villa over there :laugh: I can't wait till June to play this now. At least it's a slim and not the behemoth fatty.

But there's a good chance I'll pickup an American 360 whilst over there though, those non-region free titles hurt at times :rofl: Plus the Arcade is often going for $99.

Isn't that a general thing though, developers always seem to show off the 360 versions in gameplay footage etc. just something I noticed - Could be the lead developing platform thing

or because it's easier to compile the latest builds and show them off?

And playing in June, are you busy in May or?

Isn't that a general thing though, developers always seem to show off the 360 versions in gameplay footage etc. just something I noticed - Could be the lead developing platform thing

or because it's easier to compile the latest builds and show them off?

And playing in June, are you busy in May or?

I leave on May the 12th and won't be back till like June the 1st.

Yeah it's probably just due to it being lead platform, but even then with other titles you usually at least see a little footage of the other build, but absolutely nothing of the PS3 version yet. Quite obviously a good reason to show a little concern.

A ****ty framerate in this game would kill it for me, I can live with minor graphical differences, but with the scope of this game I don't want to be galloping on my horse at 12FPS.

Tsk, get one of them Ben Hack Heck Huck Hick ( What's his face ) and carry it around wherever you go.

Anyway, I'm interested in seeing what they come up with regarding the PS3 - It's quite poor if they still can't match the two versions.

Framerate I think GTA IV is the measuring standard, doubt they'll go below that threshold.

Tsk, get one of them Ben Hack Heck Huck Hick ( What's his face ) and carry it around wherever you go.

Anyway, I'm interested in seeing what they come up with regarding the PS3 - It's quite poor if they still can't match the two versions.

Framerate I think GTA IV is the measuring standard, doubt they'll go below that threshold.

The Ben Heck laptops always look like ****, I don't want my street cred going down.

The GTA4 framerate was pretty poor with a lot of explosions, but I guess it was okay most other times. There seems to be a lot of fire/smoke in this game, I think those effects will replace the FPS dips of firing rockets everywhere in GTA4.

As with any open world game on a console though I expect these sorts of things, as long as they don't get in the way of the fun I'm having I can live with the trade offs.

I can see another hard drive install coming for the PS3 version..... If that's the case it better at least make the game on par with the 360 version framerate wise.

It was noticeable in GTA IV but it didn't get in the way of the gameplay experience, in my opinion. I expect RDR to be exactly the same

and any tweaks to the engine have been made in order to improve the graphics and still maintain the same framerate.

Plus, I can't see many of those "crazy moments" happening like in GTA IV, where you went nuts with an RPG and cars were blowing up left and right and the

FPS dipped to 10 - Unless they added explosive horses .... :|

It was noticeable in GTA IV but it didn't get in the way of the gameplay experience, in my opinion. I expect RDR to be exactly the same

and any tweaks to the engine have been made in order to improve the graphics and still maintain the same framerate.

Plus, I can't see many of those "crazy moments" happening like in GTA IV, where you went nuts with an RPG and cars were blowing up left and right and the

FPS dipped to 10 - Unless they added explosive horses .... :|

Now that's some DLC I'd pay for.

Well, they could at least let you strap dynamite to them....

Glad I didn't spend my money on Just Cause 2 and waited on this bad boy, although I still wan't to get Just Cause 2 when it's like ?5.

Don't give them any ideas.

And just replay the Just Cause 2 demo 5-6 times and you've had enough of that game.

I'm starting to consider moving to the US, so I can get these games a few days earlier ... God I hate waiting.

Don't give them any ideas.

And just replay the Just Cause 2 demo 5-6 times and you've had enough of that game.

I'm starting to consider moving to the US, so I can get these games a few days earlier ... God I hate waiting.

If I can be arsed taking my PS3 abroad I'm so coming on here on the 18th and posting pics of me playing it laugh.gif

At the very least I'll take pics of the game in my hands, but then you'll all be laughing a few days later when you're actually playing it....

Perhaps I'll just be playing my xylophone 300px-718smiley.svg.png

I will hunt you down if you get it before me though.

Hmmm bugger, forgot about that, good thing I bought some double whipped cream, dorritos, and vegetables for dinner.