HTC Desire

my wife just got one of these HTC Desire's after my suggestion but the battery life seems fairy poor. From the beginning of the day it might have an hour of games played on it and then at the end of the day needs charging.

Is this normal ? it is not rooted or anything..

Battery life is pretty poor no matter what you do with it to be honest, but if you root it you can do some things to help such as underclock the processor when the screen is off.

You need Visionary for that
Thanks but it seems like it's not a simple point and click solution. I can't be bothered playing with commands

Thanks but it seems like it's not a simple point and click solution. I can't be bothered playing with commands

Yes it is. Simply put the Visionary APK onto your SD card, use something like Astro (from the market) to install it, then root from within the interface. It couldn't really get any more simple.

Thank you for the review, I am thinking of getting one, but I Am not so sure yet, as I am comparing HTC Desire and HTC Desire S.

Yes it is. Simply put the Visionary APK onto your SD card, use something like Astro (from the market) to install it, then root from within the interface. It couldn't really get any more simple.

Oh damn. I've having problems with my SD card (phone says it's removed even though it isnt). Im gonna go see Bell today and when I get it sorted, I will give this a shot.

yesterday my htc desire made the ultimate test... i was doing some cardio when the htc desire fell down on the treadmill. well it made like 10 saltos and then fell down on the floor. the backcover went off, so did the akku. i feared the worst, but.... nothing! its still working perfectly, and even better it still has not a single scratch or dent. i was like :o :woot:

pleasant surprise! had an iphone 3g before and it once fall down the floor from a lower hight and well... cover was partly broken etc.

could have been just coincidence and maybe i was very lucky but still it seems to speak for the quality of htc build devices. :cool:

My HTC Desire is arriving tomorrow, are there any good "getting started" sites I can look at?

I'm also on 500MB a month so some advice on conserving bandwidth would be good, I know how some sites like to automatically stream a video (some via adverts), so maybe I need a FlashBlock sort of addon, is there anything like that?

My HTC Desire is arriving tomorrow, are there any good "getting started" sites I can look at?
Everything in the HTC Desire section @XDA.
I'm also on 500MB a month so some advice on conserving bandwidth would be good, I know how some sites like to automatically stream a video (some via adverts), so maybe I need a FlashBlock sort of addon, is there anything like that?
You can turn off Flash altogether in the broswer. So don't worry about that. Also, 500MB is plenty.

Everything in the HTC Desire section @XDA.

You can turn off Flash altogether in the broswer. So don't worry about that. Also, 500MB is plenty.

Or just don't install Flash from the Market? lol

The Samsung Galaxy S2 is a super fast handset thanks to the 1.2Ghz processor that it incorporates. Not only is this one of the largest available in a mobile handset, but it also is a dual core unit, enabling effortless multi tasking and generally quicker response in all areas. The processor is joined by a hefty 1Ghz of RAM and 16GB of internal storage capacity, ideal for storing all manner of material including multiple audio files or snaps and footage captured by the phone itself. With the Galaxy S, Samsung produced one of the most popular and impressive Android smartphones to date. These are large boots to fill for its successor, the Samsung Galaxy S2, however looking at the specification, it looks more than worthy of taking over from this great phone. This phone really does sport the very latest technology, and somehow Samsung have manged to fit it all into a chassis that under 9mm in depth. This wafer thin profile means that the phone feel incredibly small when in the palm of your hand, despite the unit housing a large 4.3 inch screen. Its coming with GingerBird!! and push mail.

The Samsung Galaxy S2 is a super fast handset thanks to the 1.2Ghz processor that it incorporates. Not only is this one of the largest available in a mobile handset, but it also is a dual core unit, enabling effortless multi tasking and generally quicker response in all areas. The processor is joined by a hefty 1Ghz of RAM and 16GB of internal storage capacity, ideal for storing all manner of material including multiple audio files or snaps and footage captured by the phone itself. With the Galaxy S, Samsung produced one of the most popular and impressive Android smartphones to date. These are large boots to fill for its successor, the Samsung Galaxy S2, however looking at the specification, it looks more than worthy of taking over from this great phone. This phone really does sport the very latest technology, and somehow Samsung have manged to fit it all into a chassis that under 9mm in depth. This wafer thin profile means that the phone feel incredibly small when in the palm of your hand, despite the unit housing a large 4.3 inch screen. Its coming with GingerBird!! and push mail.

:shifty: so? this is a htc desire thread...

• 3 weeks later...

My bro has a weird problem with his Desire.

He had Leedroid (2.1) for a long time with no problems and never saw the need to update. Recently though in the last few months his phone randomly reboots. It got so bad that it restarted during a call and got stuck on the HTC logo.

After a lot of nagging, I managed to get into CWM recovery and reflash Leedroid 3.0.5 but it still sometimes happens. :| I think I'll have to flash an RUU to stock and see if the problem persists.

It's the first thing I told him. But he took off his rubber case for a short while and showed me his phone when it happened again but the phone was cool to the touch.

It probably is a hardware fault. If it was caused by an app he installed, it wouldn't happen after a wipe and reflash. I guess I have to find my warranty info.

Gingerbread ROMs are quite stable, but don't be surprised if **** still gets stuck.

Try the stock ROMs to test your hardware.

Just installed RCMix v09 on a friend's desire has some sense 3.0 stuff in it, makes me want a desire now :(

Working really really quick. Sense with gingerbread :D

I see it's just been updated to v1.0 will have to install this for him too when he's next round :p

Can't wait until my contract is up :p

I installed CM7 yesterday, and I finally got everything to work today (had to re-install today).

I had 2 issues: First, I couldn't use the CM7 hboot. CM7 just wouldn't boot at all, stuck at the splash screen. Flashing the Sense hboot and reinstalling works just fine. I'm using cwm 2.5.1.8, so it may work with any later 3.x version of cwm recovery. Then, I noticed I couldn't download Google Maps from the Market (the download was about to start, then a second later it disappeared. no error msg). I then found a few threads where apparently the issue is, when installing CM7 from RomManager, for some reason you'll have problems downloading any large apps from the market. The solution was to re-wipe everything and install manually from recovery.

So far so good with installing and testing things like GPS, wifi, etc (Y)

• 2 weeks later...

My bro has a weird problem with his Desire.

He had Leedroid (2.1) for a long time with no problems and never saw the need to update. Recently though in the last few months his phone randomly reboots. It got so bad that it restarted during a call and got stuck on the HTC logo.

After a lot of nagging, I managed to get into CWM recovery and reflash Leedroid 3.0.5 but it still sometimes happens. :| I think I'll have to flash an RUU to stock and see if the problem persists.

Sorry this replies a little late and I hope you got it sorted all ready. If not then this is an extremely common problem with the desires and it's to do with the radio chip overheating, unfortunately once it goes you need to send it back to be repaired by HTC, there is no user fix.

Sorry this replies a little late and I hope you got it sorted all ready. If not then this is an extremely common problem with the desires and it's to do with the radio chip overheating, unfortunately once it goes you need to send it back to be repaired by HTC, there is no user fix.

My bro usually leaves these things for me to deal with and I've just been a little busy (apart from being ill for the last few weeks). There's around one month left until the warranty runs out, so I'll call HTC UK tomorrow.

Thanks for the info though. (Y)

^ Extremely common issue? That doesn't sound great :|

At least on a more positive note, Google is well aware of the call delays with Gingerbread and is supposedly working on a fix for the next update. There's no point in trying any GB rom, you will still most likely get that 2-3 seconds delay before the person can hear you talk.

Other than that issue, CM7 and Redux 1.2 are both solid for me.

This Gingerbread issue is only with Desire's, right?

Yeah, the call delay happens with the HTC Desire and Google Nexus One phone which are basically the same. Some good news though is that someone made a patch that works for the N1, its somewhere in the thread of Cyanogenmod for the N1.... so I'd say we should expect a fix for this quite soon :cool: