HTC Desire

How do I format to ext3 on the SD card?
Either use gParted or the ROM Manager app. Using the app is much easier.
Will rooting it enable me to uninstall the default applications?
Yes, but I would root --> install custom ROM --> and then remove apps
Will rooting it enable me to uninstall the default applications? If so, is it just a case of uninstalling it from the menu like any other application?
Not really, two ways to do it. Remove the APK from the ZIP before you flash the ROM. Or use ADB. I've just both methods fine.
Also, if I take a backup with the official HTC software, will it be all broken when I come to put all my contacts and such back on it?
Your contacts should be stored on your Google Account so that won't matter. But no, if you take a backup (using Nandroid) then it will backup your phone as it is - EVERYTHING is included. So you won't lose anything.

So I simply unzip the ROM, delete things like Tweeter (game) and such and then zip it back up and flash it?

Won't then the installer throw a wobbily because it cant find certain files? But then I guess I could surely just delete the Tweeter game (and other things) after I have loaded the ROM onto the phone?

I don't really use my Google account (Gmail right?) so I don't think it has any of my contacts on it :s

So I simply unzip the ROM, delete things like Tweeter (game) and such and then zip it back up and flash it?

Won't then the installer throw a wobbily because it cant find certain files? But then I guess I could surely just delete the Tweeter game (and other things) after I have loaded the ROM onto the phone?

I don't really use my Google account (Gmail right?) so I don't think it has any of my contacts on it :s

The installer will throw a wobbly if you remove core stuff yes. I would install as is, do a backup and then remove stuff using ADB.

And you don't sync everything to your Google Account...what? What's the point in having an Android phone then!

And you don't sync everything to your Google Account...what? What's the point in having an Android phone then!

Sense looked pretty :p

Windows mobile Sense doesn't look as pretty :p

Go isn't that big tbh, you could check the /data/local/download app to manually clear any files in there, you will need root explorer or ES File Explorer with root options enabled to browse that folder. It saved me an extra 36MB as downloaded apps were still there.

If I want to use ES File Explorer's Root Explorer then I'd have to have CM or some other ROM. A classmate is going to show me CM7 this Friday to see if I actually want to switch from Sense to CM. Knowing that I can go back to Sense makes the switch a little easier. I already know I'm probably going to miss a few things from Sense ones I've switched.

Are there any random reboots you've had with CM? Or any withdrawals to Sense? :p

For anyone else with an HTC Desire on Cellular South here in the US, they just announced yesterday that 2.2 will be coming very soon. Cellular South has finished their work on it, and it has been submitted to Google for final approval, which could take up to three weeks (10 to 15 business days). Keep watching their Facebook page or their web site for updates! Finally we will be able to run Froyo with Sense without having to root or run hacked ROMS.

After muchos reading about rooting and such, it seems a lot of faff for what I want to do.

I simply want to be able to delete default applications :/

There's a high risk, with many horror stories. I'd prefer just to root without deleting all my settings and such but I can see that after rooting, then it will look, feel and essentially be the same as before.

Such a shame you can't just use a Windows UI to delete default files, instead of typing into a command prompt which always hates me :/

Not really interested in a custom ROM, I'm happy with Sense.

After muchos reading about rooting and such, it seems a lot of faff for what I want to do.

There's a high risk, with many horror stories. I'd prefer just to root without deleting all my settings and such but I can see that after rooting, then it will look, feel and essentially be the same as before.

Such a shame you can't just use a Windows UI to delete default files, instead of typing into a command prompt which always hates me :/

After you root your phone, you can use a Root Uninstaller app. Much easier than navigating to system folders or (omg) reflashing your OS.

https://market.android.com/details?id=org.baole.rootuninstall&feature=search_result

"There's a high risk, with many horror stories." Are you sure? When I rooted I found the horror stories to be few and far between.

Flashing radios is notoriously dangerous but rooting and flashing ROMs causes few problems what I gather and have seen.

What are the radios?

I gather it isn't just FM :p

If I can simply root my current system without wiping it then I'll be happy, so here comes un-revoked I guess :)

Hmm, so I just used the Unrevoked program to root it.

Now I'm not sure what I can do, ha ha.

Is there something that allows me to move apps to the SD card?

Is there something that will tell me if the phone is rooted?

Can I apply OTA updates and still be rooted? (I haven't installed a custom ROM)

Is there a way to change some of the settings, for instance, turning off the start up sound?

Hmm, sorry for the questions.

Hmm, so I just used the Unrevoked program to root it.

Now I'm not sure what I can do, ha ha.

Is there something that allows me to move apps to the SD card?

Is there something that will tell me if the phone is rooted?

Can I apply OTA updates and still be rooted? (I haven't installed a custom ROM)

Is there a way to change some of the settings, for instance, turning off the start up sound?

Hmm, sorry for the questions.

If you apply an OTA update, you will probably lose root. Most ROMs (I would personally recommend LeeDrOiD) are usually built from the latest base anyway

As for disabling the startup sound: instructions here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=675580

Is there a step-by-step guide to use the ADB?

I can't seem to get it to do anything, Command Prompt just tells me it's an un-recognised command.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I just got the Desire yesterday and it's one sweet phone. I'm now running Oxygen 1.0.4 stable Froyo until the boot loop problem is resolved in Gingerbread.

Man, I just got the Desire yesterday and it's one sweet phone. I'm now running Oxygen 1.0.4 stable Froyo until the boot loop problem is resolved in Gingerbread.

It has been fixed and added to the git as of two days ago - so you'll be safe to go when they next release a build.

Is there any kinda point and click software to root my phone so I can install CM7 or another custom firmware? Or should I just wait until the official Gingerbread comes?

Is there any kinda point and click software to root my phone so I can install CM7 or another custom firmware? Or should I just wait until the official Gingerbread comes?

Unrevoked mate.

yup unrEVOked or whatever they call it is about as simple point and click as it gets.

my wife just got one of these HTC Desire's after my suggestion but the battery life seems fairy poor. From the beginning of the day it might have an hour of games played on it and then at the end of the day needs charging.

Is this normal ? it is not rooted or anything..

Yeah the battery takes a while to reach its optimal performance. Don't worry about it, just keeep charging it normally, and you'll notice that it'll get better. :)

Yeah the battery takes a while to reach its optimal performance. Don't worry about it, just keeep charging it normally, and you'll notice that it'll get better. :)

Yep, I definitely noticed that since 2 days. I can actually charge my desire, and on normal usage (some browsing, sync on, brightness set to about 40%) it can last 2 days.

If you have Auto-Brightness on, try it off.... It's such a useless feature, wasting your battery trying to constantly detect the sunlight when its goal is to save battery.