Why Linux (Still) Sucks (And What We Can Do To Fix It)

Udedenkz

I have to agree with everything in the video.

What a mindless anti-productive effort such as multiple sound systems?

:no:

Linux is not a viable alternative unless it address Adobe's issues so that Adobe Flash for Linux would have hardware acceleration.

n_K

You don't really undesratdnd how memory management works and what using memory means do you ?

what's the point of having 2, 4,8 or more Gigs of ram if you're not going to use it ? Windows does use it, but if something else needs it, like photoshop, it will release it, in fact it doesn't even need to release it so you don't even lose that nanosecond. It simply tags the memory as usable, and whatever program needs the memory will overwrite it.

Yeh I do, you have memory for storing parts of program code, and data, etc.

So you think it's GOOD that if you boot into windows 7 with 24GB of RAM that it starts with 20GB in use already?

I'm not going to argue, but you really are showing off how much of a plonker/idiot you are.

HawkMan

Yeh I do, you have memory for storing parts of program code, and data, etc.

So you think it's GOOD that if you boot into windows 7 with 24GB of RAM that it starts with 20GB in use already?

I'm not going to argue, but you really are showing off how much of a plonker/idiot you are.

Actually, you again showed off that, not only do you not understand memory management, you also don't understand caching.

To start of with, you should learn the difference of "in use" and "cached". that's if you actually want to learn and be a productive IT person.

oh yeah, Good job on the whole "when you can't win an argument, start calling names and walk the other way saying you don't need to prove whatever you're trying to claim".

Behemoth

If Vista used 1.5GB of ram, I'm going to guess it's a 2GB system

That means that your uber optimized awesomeness linux system currently IS NOT using 1.6GB of ram. to put it another way, you're wasting almost 3/4ths of your ram.

Way to go.

Actually, its a 3GB system.

Jeebus, these threads always bring out the MS fanboys.

HawkMan

So I'm an MS fanboy because I don't support your FUD?

I use whatever OS works for the job and does the job the best way and easiest.

When you sprout BS about memory usage showing you don't even understand how the memory management and pre caching works, you can't go and blame everyone who doesn't agree with you a fanboy, then you'll have to call the linux people who actually know what they're talking about MS fanboys as well.

Motoko.

When you sprout BS about memory usage showing you don't even understand how the memory management and pre caching works, you can't go and blame everyone who doesn't agree with you a fanboy, then you'll have to call the linux people who actually know what they're talking about MS fanboys as well.

If you don't mind me asking what was the last distro you used?

Behemoth

Okay, I guess I am Linux user that doesn't know what they're talking about. I haven't been using it exclusively for 3+ years. I also don't support 300+ Debian servers on a daily basis.

What exactly is your problem? Are you bringing out your internet tough guy card?

• Like 1
markjensen

@ markjensen

You use Virtualbox much? Any idea how to get the Microphone to work in it? Windows Host, Ubuntu Guest. Vmware Player supported the Mic, but not 3D acceleration. So I swithced to Virtualbox, but it appears the Mic doesn't work.

Actually, no. I dislike virtualization because of the very problems that you bring up. The additional hardware abstraction layer in the middle causes problems.

I used virtualization when I was helping with Neowin's Shift Linux, but other than that, it is just a toy for me to play with on rare occasion.

Linux is not a viable alternative unless it address Adobe's issues so that Adobe Flash for Linux would have hardware acceleration.

How is "Linux" going to fix Adobe's closed-source Flash? :blink:

People can ask Adobe, and even put a "pretty please" in there. But, it is Adobe's code; Adobe's responsibility. The Open Source community has alternatives like Gnash, but it is nowhere near as compatible with the flash out there as it needs to be. :no:

Kreuger

Here's what this thread should be:

Why you should use whatever OS suits your needs.

Answer:

No one freaking cares. Use what works for you.

I'm getting tired of seeing this come up again and again. I don't care if anyone else uses linux or how much of the market it has. And I especially don't care why people don't like it.

• Like 2
HawkMan

If you don't mind me asking what was the last distro you used?

Well just now recently, Ubuntu, PCLOS and OpenSuse.

on that note, I particularly liked how openSure suicided after I ran an update causing it to refuse to boot at all. back to PCLOS, it's the one with the least bugs.

Okay, I guess I am Linux user that doesn't know what they're talking about. I haven't been using it exclusively for 3+ years. I also don't support 300+ Debian servers on a daily basis.

What exactly is your problem? Are you bringing out your internet tough guy card?

Then how come you don't udnerstand the difference between memory in use and cached memory.

and why do you compare memory in use + cached memory in windows with just memory in use on linux then ?

are you just purposely tryign to spread fud then ?

markjensen
...And I especially don't care why people don't like it.

+1 Rep for that.

I think constructive criticism is good, in fact, needed for a product to improve. I just don't see the point in a hate-fest.

Could be worse, though. This could be an Apple or Adobe (or Sony, or...) thread!

HawkMan

+1 Rep for that.

I think constructive criticism is good, in fact, needed for a product to improve. I just don't see the point in a hate-fest.

Could be worse, though. This could be an Apple or Adobe (or Sony, or...) thread!

Unfortunately a lot of linux people also ignore that there are very real problems with linux. Even in responses to this video there are people claiming that there are no problems even with the mess that is audio systems.

Heck in PCLOS, it had found my audio and installed driver and everything, but no audio, if I checked the checkbox to use pulse instead, then I got audio, but the max volume I got was 10% of what it should have been.

as for diversity, it's ok to want diversity. But having as many distro's as there are now is only hearting everyone by spreading talent too thin. keep one super user friendly distro like ubuntu, one pro/bleeding edge distro in the vein of fedor, and one gentoo/arch/slackware DIY distro.

And then make sure there is a common library and that EVERYTHING works across them all, one package manager that install correctly on them all.

and they need to make accelerated desktops just work. so far I've been through everything from just not working, to distro's that seem to have two accelerated desktops that aren't aware of each other and will "fight" causing things to go really bad. Especially bad when you have the themeing linux users pride themselves on, and turnign on accelerated desktops suddenly change you to another theme engine that grabs themes from somewhere else. But it doesn't replace the theme selector in the "control panel".

Basically though, people just need to realize that blind loyalty isn't helping anyone, least of all themselves.

You're not disloyal if you point out the flaws in your own system

and your're not a fanboy of the competition if you do point out the flaw in whatever system you're currently using.

iamwhoiam

Answer:

I'm getting tired of seeing this come up again and again. I don't care if anyone else uses linux or how much of the market it has. And I especially don't care why people don't like it.

Then don't click the threads. It is that easy.

Motoko.

Answer:

I'm assuming the underlying reason why people would care about GNU/Linux is due to how much support and applications will be available in the future. Right now there's an abundance of great software to use but commercial products that drive industry standards (Example: Adobe Creative Suit) are what prevent people from looking at open source and allot of people don't like the idea of dual booting. That's at least how I view this sort of trend.

Behemoth

Unfortunately a lot of linux people also ignore that there are very real problems with linux. Even in responses to this video there are people claiming that there are no problems even with the mess that is audio systems.

Heck in PCLOS, it had found my audio and installed driver and everything, but no audio, if I checked the checkbox to use pulse instead, then I got audio, but the max volume I got was 10% of what it should have been.

as for diversity, it's ok to want diversity. But having as many distro's as there are now is only hearting everyone by spreading talent too thin. keep one super user friendly distro like ubuntu, one pro/bleeding edge distro in the vein of fedor, and one gentoo/arch/slackware DIY distro.

And then make sure there is a common library and that EVERYTHING works across them all, one package manager that install correctly on them all.

and they need to make accelerated desktops just work. so far I've been through everything from just not working, to distro's that seem to have two accelerated desktops that aren't aware of each other and will "fight" causing things to go really bad. Especially bad when you have the themeing linux users pride themselves on, and turnign on accelerated desktops suddenly change you to another theme engine that grabs themes from somewhere else. But it doesn't replace the theme selector in the "control panel".

Basically though, people just need to realize that blind loyalty isn't helping anyone, least of all themselves.

You're not disloyal if you point out the flaws in your own system

and your're not a fanboy of the competition if you do point out the flaw in whatever system you're currently using.

You make valid points. I for one do not have blind loyalty to Linux, as I use Windows as well 40+ hours a week.

I choose to use Linux on my systems because I enjoy using it and I enjoy learning more about it. I could care less who else uses it, or for what reasons. To each their own.

tablet_user

No these threads bring out the ignorant Linux zealots. All the years I've used Linux and I'm embarrassed by some of the comments i see from these kids.

For instance I was on gnome-look and some guy made a really nice win7 theme and the page flooded with linux kids just hating on the guy like he took their bible and spit on it.

• Like 2
Motoko.

No these threads bring out the ignorant Linux zealots. All the years I've used Linux and I'm embarrassed by some of the comments i see from these kids.

For instance I was on gnome-look and some guy made a really nice win7 theme and the page flooded with linux kids just hating on the guy like he took their bible and spit on it.

Society is screwed up then.

People are use to individualizing themselves to belong somewhere in the world and that's where ignorance/arrogance is born.

There should be no compulsion in anything.

sanctified

Society is screwed up then.

People are use to individualizing themselves to belong somewhere in the world and that's where ignorance/arrogance is born.

There should be no compulsion in anything.

While I understand you I wonder if that is even possible.

Saul Goodman

I've read through the 11 pages and watched the video. Why does it still suck? Easy, its because some of the bare basics aren't completely solved yet. Watching the video its embarrassing the issues are still a problem. I thought about what could be done to solve some of them and really vertical integration would go a long way, yet thats the exact opposite of the "Linux DNA".

I know its the Linux nature to diversify but its clear to see why conforming can really improve certain aspects of the environment. For me personally Linux doesn't offer anything over a commercial OS on any of my machine types. I like the Linux idea, what it stands for and its benefits but I can always see why more people don't adopt it.

SintaX

lol @ people who say "linux" is "ugly"

Linux is an OS or a kernel ??

Gnome is a window manager or OS?

You can't say "linux" is ugly because it has nothing to do with what you think you are seeing.

There is also Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Nubuntu, and thousands of other packages, and these are just basically different window-managers, the same way explorer.exe is what windows uses.

• Like 1
Udedenkz

How is "Linux" going to fix Adobe's closed-source Flash? :blink:

I meant addressing Adobe's reasons for not implementing acceleration for Flash Player for Linux.

I don't care about open source.

markjensen

I meant addressing Adobe's reasons for not implementing acceleration for Flash Player for Linux.

I don't care about open source.

The source being closed is critical to the problem, you see.

Linux kernel devs cannot "do" anything but beg. Not sure what you think they ought to address, other than complaining.

If the source were open, then they could make appropriate coding changes.

So, regardless of whether you care or not, it is important in this situation, as you seem to hold Linux developers to task for this issue, but fail to see that they have no power other than requesting or stomping their feet.

Behemoth

Why am I being referred to as an ignorant Linux zealot? At what point did I come across as such?

Please refrain from grouping me with the 'kids' you are referring to. I assure you that I am not.

Negi

The source being closed is critical to the problem, you see.

Linux kernel devs cannot "do" anything but beg. Not sure what you think they ought to address, other than complaining.

If the source were open, then they could make appropriate coding changes.

So, regardless of whether you care or not, it is important in this situation, as you seem to hold Linux developers to task for this issue, but fail to see that they have no power other than requesting or stomping their feet.

Except that the problem may be on Linux's end instead of Adobe's. Then it doesn't matter whether Flash is open source or not.

Does Linux provide the necessary APIs for Flash to perform hardware acceleration?

radmonius

The real issues is lake of mainstream software suppot