Why Linux (Still) Sucks (And What We Can Do To Fix It)

Why Windows (Still) Sucks (And What We Can Do To Fix It....oooops you can't, ever!)

I really find it fascinating that it's OK to have threads like this one that is tantamount to blatant flame bait, but heaven forbid that a topic named like the one above, is started in a Windows forum! All hell will break out and then finally be closed by a mod because the Linux haters are upsetting the poor Windows users!

I also use windows on one of my PC's!

Cool story bro.

post-52106-12737456312269.jpg

Most asian were/are little people, so they introduce in their culture the Karate and by that, they had a chance of beating people twice their size or even 1 vs 2. But later, some Asians like Bruce Lee - simplified some technics and shared his culture with Americans - where most people had an advantage from mother nature (if exercised the right way). And of course, that made some people behind his culture very mad, cause that was their advantage against the rest of the world.

Same thing applies to Linux and that's why Linux old school users, don't like idea of synaptic, software center and the alike. Since now, even Windows users can use it.. :angry:

I really find it fascinating that it's OK to have threads like this one that is tantamount to blatant flame bait, but heaven forbid that a topic named like the one above, is started in a Windows forum! All hell will break out and then finally be closed by a mod because the Linux haters are upsetting the poor Windows users!

Make one with some plausible reasons and I don't see no harm in that. Since this topic is not a bashing one, like "linux sux (period)" - it's just a debate started by a software developer with real knowledge regarding Linux and some good points. Just check his video and you'll see that he didn't formed this idea around Windows but around Linux and present concerns.

Right. Damn those developers that release free quality software and give you the option to support them by installing a toolbar! mad.gif

Yeah, excpt that that option is usually already checked, and only accessible if you choose to do a custom install (which is something that the average user is often afraid to do, for fear of messing something up).

Yeah, excpt that that option is usually already checked, and only accessible if you choose to do a custom install (which is something that the average user is often afraid to do, for fear of messing something up).

Yeh and those programmers keep using the line "we need to eat" as excuse.... " If they need to eat, they should get a real job...

Yeh and those programmers keep using the line "we need to eat" as excuse.... " If they need to eat, they should get a real job...

I'm sorry, but this is the lamest thing I've ever read. Those stupid programmers, shame on them for not charging you for their stupid software! Further more, shame on them for not providing a tutorial on how to use the custom installer! Damn them for life!

@roadwarrior: I've yet to find an app like that. Try ImgBurn, or Daemon Tools lite, or Yahoo Messenger, etc. Not one of them has a hidden installation checkbox. You can see it clearly and uncheck it, if you wish.

I'm sorry, but this is the lamest thing I've ever read. Those stupid programmers, shame on them for not charging you for their stupid software! Further more, shame on them for not providing a tutorial on how to use the custom installer! Damn them for life!

@roadwarrior: I've yet to find an app like that. Try ImgBurn, or Daemon Tools lite, or Yahoo Messenger, etc. Not one of them has a hidden installation checkbox. You can see it clearly and uncheck it, if you wish.

Maybe cause today with so many free alternatives their software isn't worth buying, yet some do charge in a way or another, like those mentioned above... and among them, it's not just the little guys but also giants like Yahoo! and Google (as in Google Chrome - the spy-ware browser, that from a company that makes money from marketing) - yet there is no option to disable that and not even many that call themselves professionals/advanced users don't know about it.

But my last post was not about that, was more like a sarcasm... since programing is a well-played job if you're good at it.

Maybe cause today with so many free alternatives their software isn't worth buying, yet some do charge in a way or another, like those mentioned above... and among them, it's not just the little guys but also giants like Yahoo! and Google (as in Google Chrome - the spy-ware browser, that from a company that makes money from marketing) - yet there is no option to disable that and not even many that call themselves professionals/advanced users don't know about it.

But my last post was not about that, was more like a sarcasm... since programing is a well-played job if you're good at it.

Oh, sorry, didn't get that. laugh.gif

Anyway, there are some really good apps that are free and much better than paid software. Take ImgBurn for example. I wouldn't try the Nero crap ever again after using this small, but great, program.

Oh, sorry, didn't get that. laugh.gif

Anyway, there are some really good apps that are free and much better than paid software. Take ImgBurn for example. I wouldn't try the Nero crap ever again after using this small, but great, program.

That's true, even I use that ImgBurn for similar reasons... but there is no free substitute for game titles. :)

Same thing applies to Linux and that's why Linux old school users, don't like idea of synaptic, software center and the alike. Since now, even Windows users can use it.. :angry:

Say what? Every Linux user I know loves the package management system in Linux. Not sure where you think that Windows users have a package manager. They don't. Microsoft has an anemic one that handles Windows and Office, I think. But there is no comprehensive package management system in Windows.

Each application must code their own update version checker and upgrader. Most don't even bother. And, try to hope and pray for a single centralized management for your packages, things will have to seriously change at Microsoft for them to change their system to accommodate this sort of advanced package management.

Maybe you should have seen the actual video it about, which was from a meeting held by a linux develper with several other linux users and developers on a linux convention.

The title of the thread was as posted on the linked site. Plus, a good look at the shortcomings of Linux and honest discussion about them is beneficial. One should not be so blind as to say Linux is perfect. Nor should one be so thin-skinned as to get ruffled feathers at the suggestion that there are areas that can be improved.

That pretty much sums up every experience I had with Linux to this very day. Obviously not the exact same issues described there but the end result of thinking "**** this ****" and moving Ubuntu to the Trash very much so.

It does frustrate me somewhat that I can't seem to to make Ubuntu / Linux run properly on my Mac Pro. Both Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Windows 7 run like a dream on it without any effort.

This is quite funny actually. I completely disagree on the anti-linux stuff. Though, I am glad there are still people who don't like Linux. Keeps me motivated :-) There's always Windows for you guys. If you love restrictions, by all means. ;-)

Kind of feels like the 70's, when the rock 'n roll came up: breaking free. Linuxers really want to break free, Windows users really just prefer going to church.

But hey, that's just the way I see things.

Say what? Every Linux user I know loves the package management system in Linux. Not sure where you think that Windows users have a package manager. They don't. Microsoft has an anemic one that handles Windows and Office, I think. But there is no comprehensive package management system in Windows.

Each application must code their own update version checker and upgrader. Most don't even bother. And, try to hope and pray for a single centralized management for your packages, things will have to seriously change at Microsoft for them to change their system to accommodate this sort of advanced package management.

Was referring to point and click options, like Ubuntu Software Center even Synaptic...

The title of the thread was as posted on the linked site. Plus, a good look at the shortcomings of Linux and honest discussion about them is beneficial. One should not be so blind as to say Linux is perfect. Nor should one be so thin-skinned as to get ruffled feathers at the suggestion that there are areas that can be improved.
See I dont have a problem with that. My problem is with the people who expect it to work like Windows and expect us to copy their implementations of how things are done so they can switch. Why not just stay with Windows if it works so well?

See I dont have a problem with that. My problem is with the people who expect it to work like Windows and expect us to copy their implementations of how things are done so they can switch. Why not just stay with Windows if it works so well?

That's the unfortunate Catch-22 that Linux is stuck in.

Need to be close to Windows to make new experimenters feel comfortable. But then Linux suffers the criticism of being a "copy cat". Ubuntu switches the buttons to the left, and look at the crap-storm that raised!

That pretty much sums up every experience I had with Linux to this very day. Obviously not the exact same issues described there but the end result of thinking "**** this ****" and moving Ubuntu to the Trash very much so.It does frustrate me somewhat that I can't seem to to make Ubuntu / Linux run properly on my Mac Pro. Both Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Windows 7 run like a dream on it without any effort.

Maybe you're doing it wrong. Ubuntu has far lower hardware requirements than Windows 7 and MacOSX, if those "run like a dream" than Linux will run even better on that system.

As for "that summing up your experience" do know that that image represents nothing more than FUD, a very old one that keeps getting repeated when lacking valid arguments to criticize Linux, which isn't the perfect OS (quite far from that). It was true something like 13+ years ago. Then came the package systems (rpm, deb, (...)) that package your software for you in way similar to what is done in a Windows world. After that, advanced package managers came into use, like synaptic, here it is again:

post-52106-12738347978264.jpg

These allow you to install all of your software quite easily, you just search for what you want in the graphical interface and select a checkbox to install. How easier could that become?

When it comes to software management, Linux is in another league when compared to Windows. Maybe in a few years we'll get something similar in a Windows world, Microsoft is known for just that, it's part of their "Embrace, extend and extinguish" strategy.

Also, do know that compiling software from source is seen as an advantage by many who wish to do it, not just to the "hobbyists" but to many others like corporations who wish to alter something in a piece of software to suite their needs. Even governments are now doing just that, realizing the true potential of open source software. The Windows world cannot offer anything to compete against this, it's a closed world, leaving open source software as the only option for many tasks.

Bzzzt, wrong answer, but thanks for playing.

post-26908-127383575429.jpg

if those "run like a dream" than Linux will run even better on that system.

End users like to look at the performance of a system as a sum of all its parts, which includes Flash, games, browsing, etc. Running with less overhead but not being good at specific things can easily turn away a user.

Maybe you're doing it wrong. Ubuntu has far lower hardware requirements than Windows 7 and MacOSX, if those "run like a dream" than Linux will run even better on that system.

Yeah, sorry but, BS!

I've just done a lot of triels on this and logged everything, all the problems I had with getting stuff to work on a "simple" ubuntu distro, on a new computer. and besides all the other issues. a major issue compared to windows, performance. It was fairly horrible, with or without 3D accelerated desktop.

so that's old BS FUD.

For starters Ubuntu and its fanboys need to disappear (preferably in the most painful way possible) and we need to start over with people who arent obsessed with tweaking GUI elements and have those be practically the only changes in updated builds.

Ubuntu is sooooooo slow and sooooooo overhyped its sickening to anyone who has been around unices for more than 5 minutes

For crying out loud, even MS finally stopped doing gui only changes......finally, but they did it

And Multimedia needs to work right after install and without spending 600 man hours on it. Multimedia (un)support is the one reason i dont bother switching to Linux full time...theres always some bloody glitch or other that makes me reboot into windows where i can actually use multimedia....

Ubuntu is overhyped. When you look at it closely it's not much more than a Debian Sid snapshot with a different theme and some more or less useful add-ons.

Ubuntu is overhyped. When you look at it closely it's not much more than a Debian Sid snapshot with a different theme and some more or less useful add-ons.

What Ubuntu has is a (small but at least existent) marketing machine creating some mind share, hence why they get all the hype, prising and/or blame for features that other distros already had.

The thing is that if you want to deliver a product you don't only need to develop the product but also to let people know that the product is there. Canonical might not excel at the former, but at least they do a fair contribution on the later.

While I somewhat agree with you, Ubuntu has managed to get a lot of people to look at Linux and that's a good thing. Call it good marketing or whatever but they're doing some good for the general linux community