Meet Firefox 4.0.1

i moved all earlier builds all add ons, erased the directory, installed a fresh install of RC1 and..! i keep getting crash every few seconds of starting it up! any advices?!

i moved all earlier builds all add ons, erased the directory, installed a fresh install of RC1 and..! i keep getting crash every few seconds of starting it up! any advices?!

Did you start with a fresh profile? I was having this problem, but something in my profile was crashing it. I moved my profile and started with a new one and then selectively moved in what I needed. No problems anymore.

Did you start with a fresh profile? I was having this problem, but something in my profile was crashing it. I moved my profile and started with a new one and then selectively moved in what I needed. No problems anymore.

Thanks, but excuse my stupidity how can i change the profile ? i don't see an option for that!

Go to Run -> firefox.exe -profilemanager -no-remote

-no-remote -> It is there so that if you have firefox currently running, you will still be able to open the profile manager. It is useful on running multiple profiles simultaneously as well. You can add it on the shortcut as well.

Well, I'm lazy so here you go:

Managing profiles

I'm sure I found a more detailed guide but forgot about it.

Post if you have further questions.

****, there's a way to remove the "Additional Plugins are required to display all the media on this page." message:

plugins.hide_infobar_for_missing_plugin;true

i found this posted on mozilla forums.. bad news for the march 22 release date :(

"FWIW there will be a second RC because of a security issue in ANGLE. I'm not sure if this affects the 22nd of march release date tho."

I don't think it is a big problem, we are waiting so long, that one week more make no difference, it is better to get 99% safe and ready product. ;)

Thought I would finally give it a go since it's almost there.

Don't like the orange "firefox" menu up there. Seems like a waste of space. They should move it to the left of the first tab and even make it an icon or something smaller.

Another issue but more me being use to something. Right clicking on a link to bring up the action. New tab is now top, new window is second which I keep using, must have been the opposite set up in the 3.6 Firefox.

Other than that so far, seems fine.

FF4 is still on for March 22 even with RC2 coming tomorrow..

http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.planning/browse_thread/thread/d7cd3c9e9650b1b3#

All,

Two issues popped up (hilariously, almost immediately after Damon sent his email) which have caused us to take two very small, very isolated fixes in order to better protect Firefox 4 users. These fixes will be included in Firefox 4 RC2 for Windows, OSX and Linux (which should be available tomorrow) and Firefox 4 RC1 for Android.

There is no change required to our schedule. We still expect to release the final version of Firefox 4 for Windows, OSX and Linux on March 22nd as planned.

cheers,

mike

Thought I would finally give it a go since it's almost there.

Don't like the orange "firefox" menu up there. Seems like a waste of space. They should move it to the left of the first tab and even make it an icon or something smaller.

Another issue but more me being use to something. Right clicking on a link to bring up the action. New tab is now top, new window is second which I keep using, must have been the opposite set up in the 3.6 Firefox.

Other than that so far, seems fine.

It's easy to replace/remove that using stylish.

It's ftp, it's not really for 'public' use. It is indeed the build. It's like the "leaked" RC1 builds.

Off topic: Did neowin change colors? It's a different shade of blue I'm seeing now.

Off topic: Did neowin change colors? It's a different shade of blue I'm seeing now.

You're right. I just had to change mine back to Midnight. The forums have been having a few glitches lately apparently.

I've noticed this little annoyance in Fx 4 upto RC1:

I've set

browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab;false

and enabled taskbar previews.

When I close the last(and only) tab, its title changes from the site title to "New Tab".

In the taskbar preview, it has no label at all, its supposed to be labelled "Mozilla Firefox" but its not.

Does it happen to others or is it just me?

Here's the pic:

r0v13k.jpg

Hmmm, mine says it's up to date in the "About" screen.

I think that's because these builds are still "intermediaries" and not yet classified as RC2. I got the same message you got.

just wait for the official RC2 build coming out later today... there could be a build 4 if they run into problems. better to use official build than something that could possibly not be final.

yep build 3 is scheduled to be pushed to the release mirrors very soon.. most likely in the next couple of hours :)