Meet Firefox 4.0.1

You're not by chance using the 64bit version of IE9 are you?

No, I am using the 32-bit version.

If you have "store and display recently opened items in the Start Menu and the taskbar" unchecked, jumplists for pinned sites will not show up for IE9, only the 2 tasks show up (inprivate browsing and new tab).

I looked at that option, and it is checked. My jumplists for other programs such as firefox and itunes work just fine. I've tried un-pinning & re-pinning, but haven't been able to get the jumplist in IE9.

IE9's jumplist should be using favicons... It's working on mine. Did you deploy that emergency favicon fix a few months back by chance?

no fav icons on mine, here's what i have in my jumplist

jumplist.png

no fav icons on mine, here's what i have in my jumplist

jumplist.png

For my IE9 jumlist, I don't even have the frequent sites part. I just see the tasks, and three options at the bottom.

I've been installing Firefox 4 on computers at work, and the damn thing keeps requiring a reboot!

This is insane. IE9 now installs without requiring a reboot (for the first time, ever), and suddenly Firefox requires a reboot (which it never has, in the past)?

Does anyone know why it requires a reboot, and how to avoid rebooting? It refuses to even start up until you reboot.

I'm sure it has to do with it being an upgrade from 3.6, but still...

Arg!

I've been installing Firefox 4 on computers at work, and the damn thing keeps requiring a reboot!

This is insane. IE9 now installs without requiring a reboot (for the first time, ever), and suddenly Firefox requires a reboot (which it never has, in the past)?

Does anyone know why it requires a reboot, and how to avoid rebooting? It refuses to even start up until you reboot.

I'm sure it has to do with it being an upgrade from 3.6, but still...

Arg!

Most software uses reboot to,

- Start background bloat processes and services

- Restart explorer shell to load the newly installed extensions

Firefox shouldn't be doing either thing.

Fonts still look terrible. It will be my "backup browser", but I will never use this full-time. Thanks anyway, Mozilla. Oh, and it still has to be tweaked to be anywhere near as fast as Chrome, but yet it's still slower. So, in a nutshell: 1 year of development for ... a fancier UI?

1yr in development and the CSS and HTML5 standards support are enormously better and its faster too. Built-in WebM support is great, firefox4 is pretty good, they just need to fix the blurry fonts that alot of people are seeing as virtually no users will know that disabling directwrite will fix the font blurryness.

• Like 1

Well yea, looks to be a bit of a problem with font rendering and hardware acceleration, don't suppose anyone know a way of fixing this beside turning hardware acceleration off?

And yes, all my drivers are up to date(AMD/ATI) and Windows 7 is up to date.

No it doesn't require a reboot.

I've never had to reboot after installing and/or unisntalling FF on any home or work PC.

Wow, so I must be imagining it, then.

Most software uses reboot to,

- Start background bloat processes and services

- Restart explorer shell to load the newly installed extensions

Firefox shouldn't be doing either thing.

It seems to have to do with .moz-upgrade and .moz-delete files being left behind. But it frequently happens when I update an otherwise normal Firefox 3.6.x install, on both XP and Windows 7.

Fun fact:

If you do "toolbars/customize", the "stop/reload" button turns into two buttons (reload, then stop). If you change the order to "stop, then reload," it will show both buttons in that order. If you leave the original order, it will merge them into two buttons when you finish customizing.

post-362658-0-40197900-1300738555.png

It won't install.I've tried the installation a number of times,and all that happens is the extractor running and everything going quiet afterwards,as if the thing never ran.

I uninstalled the previous version of Firefox,but nothing gives.

What could possibly be wrong?

I even tried with Run as admin...nothing.

I was takin some test here : http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/

and I have to say that IE9 is sometimes 2 times faster (200%) than firefox 4 (both are hardware accelerated). More in HTML5. Im not a IE fan, there is nothing more far than me being a IE fan but in this case, I see their browser is by far faster. I dont know if that page(s) are optimized to work with their browser, but its really fast compared with this lastest version of firefox.

So far I'm very unimpressed with FF4. It doesn't seem to be any faster than FF 3.6.xx and it's definitely slower than IE9 and Chrome.

Maybe if Mozilla didn't spend a year deciding whether or not to keep the statusbar they could have improved this thing.

Overall, I like Firefox 4, but at the same time, I'm wholly un-impressed with it. It still feels rough around the edges, and I don't think the developers are trying at all to make the browser stick out and shine on their respective operating systems. IE: Lack of OS version integration.

So far I'm very unimpressed with FF4. It doesn't seem to be any faster than FF 3.6.xx and it's definitely slower than IE9 and Chrome.

Maybe if Mozilla didn't spend a year deciding whether or not to keep the statusbar they could have improved this thing.

Are you sure?

1yr in development and the CSS and HTML5 standards support are enormously better and its faster too. Built-in WebM support is great, firefox4 is pretty good, they just need to fix the blurry fonts that alot of people are seeing as virtually no users will know that disabling directwrite will fix the font blurryness.

Thank you, good sir! Finally :) Now I can use Firefox without wondering if I need new glasses...

Well I'm using it. Been a longtime Firefox user since day one, but I must say I'm not liking this overhaul. I configured it to look and act like 3x, but I'm not feeling it really. Very 1st problem I had was the Hardware acc. I had to turn that junk off, the fonts were killing my eyes, seems others are complaining of the issue also while I was looking for a fix.

Anyway, aside from the font issue and the clunky 'smooth scrolling' I'm OK but I liked 3x much better. I'll just wait I think and see if this all gets fixed, if not I must chose to move to Chrome =(