Meet Firefox 4.0.1

I've officially made the switch from Chrome 10 to Firefox 4. The only two things I miss from Chrome are in-page translations and the Google Docs PDF/PowerPoint Viewer.

It saves on me. Even after restart.

Glad to know it does for someone. Has never worked for me. Even if you make a new toolbar right underneath the Bookmarks Toolbar?

I've noticed this little annoyance in Fx 4 upto RC1:I've set

browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab;false

and enabled taskbar previews.When I close the last(and only) tab, its title changes from the site title to "New Tab".In the taskbar preview, it has no label at all, its supposed to be labelled "Mozilla Firefox" but its not.Does it happen to others or is it just me?Here's the pic:

r0v13k.jpg

With HW Acceleration on:Tab titles vanish briefly after opening tabs quickly by holding Ctrl+T

631020154t.png

With HW Acceleration off:Tab titles remain even if opening tabs rapidly. Anyone experienced this as well?

Two of the many annoyances that plague Fx 4.0. Definitely needs more "polish".

P.S: If anybody know any stylish scripts to get rid of these, please do tell.

Two things I've noticed so far:

1. The Aero borders are about 1 pixel too wide.

2. Scrolling a website while your mouse is hovered over flash objects causes the scrolling to be jerky.

titles and scrolling are fine here. borders not a problem.

firefox4 choose your color stylish script is activated. using dark color, full trans, and paint all. this helps.

is it wise to install FF4 over FF3.6 or uninstall FF3 first? i assume most settings will carry over? if so can i use profile manage to switch between settings?

Install to new dir. I have mine installed to FF4 instead of the recommended. It's a new folder in program files. I have both versions now as well as minefield. LOL.

once you've installed FF4 insto a seprate dir you cna put this into your run command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\FF4\firefox.exe" -p -no-remote

it will bring up the profile menu:

(ignore the fact it says minefield this is an old screenshot)

post-361542-0-77890000-1300846399.jpg

make a new profile:

now you can also run both version at the same time.

This also keeps stuff seperate.

to keep the setting apply to your FF4 shortcut on your desktop and it'll prompt with profile thing, select the profile not used for FF3.6 and there.

post-18459-0-39710400-1300737846.png

so it's just me ?

%DRIVE%:\Users\<YOUR_PROFILE>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

unpin all firefox apps, delete ff apps in the folder above, start ff, pin ff.

Or try another sequence) hth.

Is there a permanent way to have bigger toolbar icons? Usually they are too small, but then when I go to customize they will appear big sometimes and stay that way til I restart Firefox. I think it's because of the theme I'm using, Strata Reloaded 2.6.6. Either that, or a possible conflict with the extension Toolbar Buttons. Is there an extension, or stylish to make the toolbar icons like say medium sized? Let me know. Thanks! Here's a screenshot. I want them to stay like this. http://www.fileserve.com/file/nWcTSrJ

look

neXnj.gif

its using 102MB with NOTHING loaded!. Thats what it consume from a cold startup!. Why this happend when in 3.6 barely uses 35MB at MAX when startup?. There is nothing that justify that memory uses, NOTHING!! :angry:

What extensions are you using? If you're using adblock update to the development version.

http://adblockplus.org/en/development-builds

Firefox 4 uses about 60MB with one tab open for me with 4gb total memory.

Glad to know it does for someone. Has never worked for me. Even if you make a new toolbar right underneath the Bookmarks Toolbar?

Yes it does. Maybe some of your extensions again?

Is there any sort of roadmap for the next version after 4.0? I mean more so 4.05, 4.1, etc, not the likes of 5.0.

Do you guys think we can break the 8mil set by firefox 3? We're at 5.6M currently. I wonder how many Win7 users downloades FX4 though cause it's not fair to compare it to the 2.4M (?) who downloaded IE9

Is there any sort of roadmap for the next version after 4.0? I mean more so 4.05, 4.1, etc, not the likes of 5.0.

Well, 4.0.1 would be a security/maintenance release, so probably not what you're interested in. 5.0 is the next one, and not far away ... what are you expecting to happen in between?

is it wise to install FF4 over FF3.6 or uninstall FF3 first? i assume most settings will carry over? if so can i use profile manage to switch between settings?

Installing over 3.6 should be fine, your settings will carry over. It'll say 'upgrade' during the install process.

You only need to do a clean copy if you've been running into problems. (And running 3.6 and 4.0 side by side now is pointless, unless you're absolutely desperate for a 3.6 addon that hasn't been updated)

Why the gui looks less attractive than RC with me ?! the tabs edges seems not smooth so far, any hints?

Screenshot, please. And we don't even know what you're comparing it to.

Why the gui looks less attractive than RC with me ?! the tabs edges seems not smooth so far, any hints?

There is no way that the RC will look any different from the final build. It's the release candidate.

Well, 4.0.1 would be a security/maintenance release, so probably not what you're interested in. 5.0 is the next one, and not far away ... what are you expecting to happen in between?

Well I'm moving over from Chrome so I'm used to getting weekly bug fixes/optimizations and I wouldn't like to think I need to wait for 5.0 for anything more than security releases.

I know there is minefield, but I don't like the branding. Wish Fx had like a dev channel that looked/operated the same as the main build, but was just bleeding edge.