• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[Mac] A mess called Adobe CS5

.Neo    1,834

After installing Adobe CS5 Design Premium I'm absolutely amazed by the amount of support files that the application suite apparently requires:

- Location of your choosing - Main application folder

- /Applications - Folder named Adobe holding Adobe Help.app

- /Applications/Utilities - Adobe AIR Application Installer.app, Adobe AIR Uninstaller.app

- /Applications/Utilities - Folder named Adobe Installers containing a single alias to the uninstaller app

- /Applications/Utilities - Folder named Adobe Utilities - CS5 containing two Toolkit folders

- /Library + ~/Library - No less than 13 additional support folders called "Adobe" filled with all kind of files and folders

- /Library/PreferencePanes - Growl

- Cache - Tons of Adobe cache folders

I honestly don't get why this is needed and why stuff like Growl is being forced upon me. Also the Uninstaller fails to get rid of everything even if you tell it to do so. :/

Timan    554

Growl support is awesome :p

But I was ###### when stuff like adobe air got installed when i clearly unchecked it during the install.

Gladiatorus    278

How long did it take to install?

.Neo    1,834

Ever since Mac OS X Snow Leopard the Adobe CS4 Master Collection installer is acting up. When I uncheck unwanted parts folders and (corrupt) applications files are still being created. I find it extremely disappointing that they haven't fixed this with CS5.

The trial version of Design Premium (DMG file) took about 10 minutes to install on my Mac Pro.

Nagisan    248

I too would like to know, how long does CS5 take to install compared to CS4? Just installing CS4 Photoshop and Dreamweaver takes nearly an hour on my system...

EDIT: As the question was answered above....how long did a similar CS4 package take to install on your system?

.Neo    1,834

Well that wouldn't be a fair comparison since the trial version

A) Doesn't contain all applications. Adobe Acrobat Pro is missing for example

B) The CS5 Master Collection trial weighs in at ? roughly 6 GB while the CS4 Master Collection Retail package consists out of 4 applications DVDs that weigh in at roughly 15 GB total.

Udedenkz    51

If I am bored I always try to remove as much of the application as possible, that is delete help files, readmes, licences, and even dynamic link libraries, plugins, etc that I don't use.

You can do the same.

You can also have a 3rd party app track all the registry keys and files written by Adobe installer...

etc.

Edit,

What I am saying, is make yourself a lited version of Adobe and use that if you don't like the 'mess'.

speedstr3789    32
I honestly don't get why this is needed...[./quote]

Because you don't write software?

I'm sure the programmers have their reasons and it's not like it's taking up a ton of space.

• Like 1

.Neo    1,834
Because you don't write software?

I'm sure the programmers have their reasons and it's not like it's taking up a ton of space.

Oh right, yeah, that must be it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Gladiatorus    278

I too would like to know, how long does CS5 take to install compared to CS4? Just installing CS4 Photoshop and Dreamweaver takes nearly an hour on my system...

EDIT: As the question was answered above....how long did a similar CS4 package take to install on your system?

Well, my computer is VERY old, installing 8 apps took about 2.5 hours. :angry:

.Neo    1,834
You can also have a 3rd party app track all the registry keys and files written by Adobe installer...

You're in the Mac section.

qdave    159

Nagisa, it takes me about 10 minutes to install Photoshop CS5 with Dreamweaver. Not sure about cs4, but uninstalling it took much more time than installing cs5 :p

Btw is there a way to remove Air after installation?

Nagisan    248

Nagisa, it takes me about 10 minutes to install Photoshop CS5 with Dreamweaver. Not sure about cs4, but uninstalling it took much more time than installing cs5 :p

Great to hear, I always dread reinstalling my system from scratch cause Photoshop and Dreamweaver CS4 take as much time to install as it takes me to install 90% of the other apps I use....its freaking annoying.

.Neo    1,834
But I was ****ed when stuff like adobe air got installed when i clearly unchecked it during the install.

Exactly.

Rudy    457

Can it finally be installed on a computer with a case sensitive file system?

KoL    36

Growl get installed with CS5?? I installed CS5 yesterday and I notice later that I had Growl installed and I didn't download it.

.Neo    1,834

Growl get installed with CS5?? I installed CS5 yesterday and I notice later that I had Growl installed and I didn't download it.

Yup.

andersonshatch    0

Can it finally be installed on a computer with a case sensitive file system?

Much to my annoyance, no. :(

PyX    140

Well it was the same thing with CS4. It created a lot of mess everywhere. It also ****es me off a LOT.

Actually, I hate Mac apps that create folders in the Applications folder. Seriously… just make it an icon named "Photoshop.app" and that's it. Stuff all the mess in the .app file, that's where it has to go.

But hey, at least it's Intel 64-bit and it starts blazingly fast (here at least). It's just that it's a mess.

And people wonder why the relationship between Adobe Apple gets tensed…

On another note, I think Apple should centralize all the updates of every application on their servers, exactly like iPhone apps. The Software Update app would detect your apps and detect the necessary updates for ALL the system. We wouldn't have **** like Adobe Updater, Microsoft Updater, Parallels Updater, etc. They're a mess to deal with, they’re all different visually and they work differently, and they create a bunch of additional files. I don't know if Apple would need to provide additional APIs to make something like that, but I'm pretty positive on that…

And a big LOL at the guy who said “it’s because you don’t write software and they do”. This is the kind of excuse companies pull and I can’t hold myself from laughing… It’s surely that, yeah.

giga    45

My gripes are all UI related. Seems like these guys just don't care as some of these have been here for years.

13zbrx2.png

x5wqp2.png

I know these controls used to be Aqua back in CS4. Hell, is that a Windows XP folder?

deo9so.png

More custom made controls?

2zfo4sx.png

Two dropdowns right next to each other. Both different.

2nqfa6r.pnge01qmh.png

That said, it really is more responsive than previous versions. Zooming in and out of images is much quicker (the pixel view at high zoom levels is great). Launch times are much improved. Camera Raw adjustments quicker.

Love the rule of thirds view when cropping (about time). I can also finally move the focus of the keyboard to "Don't save" when quitting now with tab key.

23m06ts.png

n2ml9v.png

104jbkw.png

.Neo    1,834

Lack of Aqua elements is partially because Adobe used Flash to develop certain parts of the Photoshop CS5 interface. And people wonder why Apple doesn't want the same crap to happen on the iPhone.

There is no real reason why the close/minimize/zoom buttons are located in a different place...

GUI-wise I don't think there are many other applications on Mac OS X that parallel the train wreck that is Adobe CS.

Nagisan    248

I wonder if they fixed the spill over that CS4 has in Windows when you run multiple monitors. Basically, if you maximized a CS4 app (or at least Photoshop and Dreamweaver), you would lose about 5-10 pixels on the left side of an adjacent monitor (at least when the 2nd monitor is on the right) while the application was the focused window. Gets a bit annoying when you run things like Ultramon for a second taskbar and you get a gap between the left side of the screen edge and the left side of the taskbar...

ObiWanToby    35

I installed the trial, seems to have a few bugs. I see photoshop.exe remains running when I close an image sometimes (not apple related). That is kinda bothersome, just because I do not know why it would do that.

Filling in the background stuff doesn't work all the time. It has worked on a few photos but sometimes the results are just horrid. Extracting an element from a photograph works well though. Soft edges are easier to deal with. This might be worth buying, I do not know.

Quillz    1,003

I really don't understand why it's so hard for Adobe to follow UI standards as much as possible. Like stated, you've got drop-downs that use different styles, misplaced window widgets, etc. If developing part of the UI using Flash, could they still have not used standard Aqua widgets, especially in that image processor window?

They used Cocoa to make CS5 and yet it looks less native than did CS4.

.Neo    1,834
If developing part of the UI using Flash, could they still have not used standard Aqua widgets, especially in that image processor window?

Apparently not. This is a perfect example really of why Apple has so many problems with iPhone apps being developed through Flash CS5. The user experience is almost always sub-par compared to applications that have been developed using Apple's toolkit.