[Mac] A mess called Adobe CS5

I'm running Adobe CS3 under OS X Tiger still, and it works fine. So I've seen no need to upgrade to CS5 at this point. Seems ta me that CS3 does most (90%) of the same things CS5 does. Somehow, I gets the impression that CS5 is buggy in part because it may not have been 100% optimized for Windows 7 and OS X 10.6 (snow leopard). It's suppose to work for Windows Vista, 7, OS X10.5 and 10.6. Other reports indicate that CS5 doesn't work that well on OS X with an i7 chip. So, it's really a transitional piece which was released too soon. Personally, I'd wait for CS6, because by then Windows 7 and Snow Leopard will have been out on the market for a while, there's more 3rd party software drivers, greater compatibility, and this next release will probably be optimized for it. Plus, it makes little sense to upgrade right now if you have a Mac, because most of the apps aint even 64 bit. At least I was planning to buy a new computer next year, and when CS6 is likely due to be released (likely towards the end of 2011 or early 2012, then I'll consider buying it, pending user reviews/approval. By then, the Apple release will be completely 64 bit.

Is this all a correct assessment? Agree? Disagree?

I really don't find CS5 buggy. It works a lot better than CS4 on both Windows and OS X. Well I'm talking about Photoshop since it's the one I use everyday.

I don't know, I am quite happy with Photoshop CS5 on Snow Leopard. It runs slower than CS3 on my Tiger machine, but then I rarely work with side by side files of several hundred layers each on my Tiger machine.

Sounds like a mess called a Mac. Installs fine on Windows 7. And works fine.

Regardless of platform, Adobe CS5 seems to have been designed primarily for the Desktop- as opposed to the Mobile/Handheld computing market. A number of their products reflect the old paradigm, such as Dreamweaver, while includes partial support for HTML5, but doesn't fully support the new standard. Seems it was thrown in at the last minute given that an extension was released after DW CS5 came out. Of course, this isn't Adobe's fault since the new standards and technologies may have come out after CS5 was close to being released. But it points to a more comprehensive software suite which will be released with Adobe CS6. And while some of the Apple side has 64 bit apps, most are still 32 bt. Probably not Adobe's fault since Apple was indecisive upon which direction to take in its software development cycle (Carbon vs. Cocoa). I've read that Photoshop CS5 works quite well on OS X 10.6, which was optimized for the 64 bit environment; but the performance of other 32 bit based apps performance is lagging.

Keep in mind that Adobe CS3 isn't supported on Mac OS X Snow Leopard in any way (neither is CS4 officially, but I could be wrong). Some Adobe CS3 applications refuse to run on Mac OS X Snow Leopard all together, but this is supposedly being fixed with the v10.6.4 update.

Yeah I know. That's why I haven't bought one of their new machines. Plus CS5 seems to be in limbo right now on the Mac, given that most of its apps are still 32 bit, which slow down in SL. Hopefully by CS6, they'll be completely 64 and the Adobe apps'll be completely optimized for it.

If CS 4 or 5 have some new functionality you want or need then upgrade.

Either way, CS4 and 5 and great. People just love and bitch and moan.

I tried CS4 on Windows at a school, and it seemed very bloated, slow and inefficient. Procedures which used to require 2 or 3 steps in older versions now need an additional 2 or 3. That's not really a time saver, is it? The interface is very clunky and chunky. Either the system slows down dramatically in the middle of a project or else the Machine crashes in the middle of your work. I'm glad I didn't buy it. I'd only do so if a client had a specific need for it.

I quite liked CS3 though. While not without its faults, it seemed very smooth.

Haven't tried CS5 yet, since I haven't encountered a PC which has one with it. But I'd imagine that a person has to buy a completely brand new quad core machine with lots of RAM and Windows 7 installed. It doesn't seem that an older PC will suffice.

• 3 months later...

I realize this thread has been dormant a few months. I just purchased an iMac and installed CS5 Trial. As has been posted throughout this thread, it's buggy as hell.

I have heard Aperture isn't much better, so, what is a reasonable replacement for Photoshop?

Sounds like a mess called a Mac. Installs fine on Windows 7. And works fine.

Nope. You're out of it.

Pixelmator’s a great alternative to Photoshop. Unfortunately it lacks a few key features still. I don’t know how Aperture can replace Photoshop to be honest. Like, if you used Photoshop in the past to manage photo libraries of thousands of pictures, you might as well question your use of Photoshop... I mean it’s awesome to retouch a few pictures, but it’s not a picture manager.

Nope. You're out of it.

Don't feed him - he's just trying to incite flames.

On that note I haven't encountered any major issue on CS5 for Macs, then again I don't do any serious work with it.