2. 2. i WANT a:

• Plasma TV
    • LED TV
    • LCD TV

No option for LCD? :s

anyways, LED definitely

Plasmas are a dying breed

LEDs are still technically LCDs ;)

There needs to be an answer choice (for the second question) that says "I have what I want"

LED is way brighter and they have a better contrast ratio, since its not just one big lamp in there. Every pixel got their own LED light.

LED is way brighter and they have a better contrast ratio, since its not just one big lamp in there. Every pixel got their own LED light.

When the question is Plasma or LED, why are you listing the advantages of LED over LCD ?

and FYI, even on back lit LED no, every pixel does not have it's own LED, it's more like roughly around 1000 LEDS in the backlight, depending on the brand, either way it's nowhere near the amount of pixels. and most LED's being sidelit it doesn't matter anyway.

Plasma is the one where EVERY pixel controls how much light, if any, it creates. and has superior contrast, far superior to that of LED's only the best RGB LED back lit Sony's come "close" to a decent plasma panel. though the plasma panel is significantly cheaper for higher PQ.

plasmas have a MUCH better contrast ratio than any other tv you buy, unless its a dynamic dimming BACKLIT LED, not the thin edgelit ones.

and if its a newer plasma its just as thin as the LED tvs, better picture than the majority of lcd/led tvs, and they're much cheaper.

LED = DLP OR LCD, maybe more

I have a 61 " LED DLP 3D

I have a 52" LCD (non-led)

LCD is by far better then the DLP for picture and black level, the samsung LCD have black levels that are outstanding. The LED TV's seem to be slightly duller. But the LED TV's will get much better.

So stay with LCD and is LED is in the price budget go for it but its not really a deal breaker...

They say that the LED are a long living product but after a short time the red LED had to be replaced because it blew out.

** P.S.

Please do not believe any review / suggestion where the words "Dynamic Contrast Ratio" come to play because its a bunch of bull****

That's wrong.

LED backlit LCD TVs do not have one LED per pixel, far from it.

Currently have a large plasma, it has great picture and all, but it gets very warm and consumes quite a bit of energy....without sitting a plasma and LED side-by-side to compare picture quality, I would much rather have an LED for the energy savings. Not to mention Plasma's are notorious for burn-in, so I have to be careful when my nephews are over that they do not walk away for long periods leaving a game in the pause menu and what not.

i have a plasma which i will be more than happy with for the next 4-5 years...but i want an oled/laser tv..... led is overrated. stick with a decent mid-range plasma and lcd and get it calibrated properly... i think you will be pleasantly surprised....

Currently have a large plasma, it has great picture and all, but it gets very warm and consumes quite a bit of energy....without sitting a plasma and LED side-by-side to compare picture quality, I would much rather have an LED for the energy savings. Not to mention Plasma's are notorious for burn-in, so I have to be careful when my nephews are over that they do not walk away for long periods leaving a game in the pause menu and what not.

They WERE notorious for burn in. modern plasmas won't have burn in or image retention. nothing worse than any LCD panel anyway (yeah they have image retention too). Plasma burn in has been history for years now.

and you don't need to have them side by side to see the superior blacks and contrast level of a plasma.

A lot of people in this thread seem confused. LED is not a type of display panel technology it is a type of backlight.

That's OLED.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_LED

It's the same story every time someone makes this thread. happens every few months. but yet they never learn the differences between LCD, LED sidelit, LED Backli, plasma,OLED. and old myths that have been solved for the last 5 years keep popping up.

Well thanks for letting me know guys. ^^ Either way, I've heard that Plasma TV's don't last very long. So OP is better of with a LED.

I think that it depends a lot on the room type.

If you have a room without windows or thick curtains so that sunlight or glare isn't a problem, Plasma will probably give you the best picture quality with the deepest blacks.

If you have a room where the TV will have to fight with sunlight on occasion, LCD will probably be better.

I have zero interest in Plasma technology and thus would be happy to go from a LCD model to an LED version.

They WERE notorious for burn in. modern plasmas won't have burn in or image retention. nothing worse than any LCD panel anyway (yeah they have image retention too). Plasma burn in has been history for years now.

and you don't need to have them side by side to see the superior blacks and contrast level of a plasma.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=opera&q=lg+plasma+tv&oe=utf-8&cid=11361735772888932906&ei=aaTwS4K4FITa2QT-naDiDQ&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA&os=tech-specs

Thats the Plasma I have (or at least, extremely similar)....not exactly sure how old it is, more than 3 years though, back when I bought it we paid close to (I think) $4000 for it, so as you can see the price has dramatically dropped since then. Not sure how long ago plasma's stopped having image burn/retention, and it is an LG which typically have pretty high quality builds, but it is still something I fear could happen if things are left on the screen for too long.

As for the picture quality, I see all kinds of LCDs and LEDs next to Plasmas in stores and what not, and they all look the same to me. Every now and then one or two are obviously better looking than the others, but it typically has to do with the contrast and brightness, and not particularly the type of TV it is (and yes, I know plasma's generally have much higher contrast). I do not watch tons of TV though, so I do not notice huge differences between picture quality when going from one TV to the other.

where did you hear that from? i've heard horror stories on both :)

As with the Burn In issue, thats true with earlier plasma TVs. New plasmas have just as long of a life as most LCD TVs.