Disabling in-text ads on Neowin

Fill in this poll to help us better your Neowin experience  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Did you disable them?

• Yep I did.
    • No I didn't.
  2. 2. Do you agree that Neowin needs ads to survive?

• No absolutely not.
    • Yes I do.
  3. 3. Do you whitelist Neowin anyways?

• No, I block all ads.
    • Yes, but block in-text ads
    • Yes, Neowin is whitelisted with in-text ads

These have been disabled again for members, guests can still follow this guide to opt out!

We have implemented in-text advertising back on the site, times are hard and with all the stuff we're giving away, rising costs, having to pay Tim for these new themes means we have to offset it somewhere!

While it doesn't bother me at all, I can imagine some people will be red faced about Neowin expecting income for the service we provide, below are instructions to disable them should you wish to do so.

post-2-12757294580175.png

Hover over a link, and click the ? mark

post-2-12757294666091.png

A new page will open: http://www.vibrantmedia.com/whatisIntelliTXT.asp?ipid=1210&cc=nl&server=neowin.us.intellitxt.com click the disable tab shown above, and then click to disable.

Its that simple.

Tier2 subscribers do not see these ads.

Added poll by popular request.

While it doesn't bother me at all, I can imagine some people will be red faced about Neowin expecting income for the service we provide, below are instructions to disable them should you wish to do so.

Me neither :)

In fact we have to thank you for the ads so there are more prizes ;-)

I have no problem with enabling text ads as long as it helps the site. Disabling them is easy enough.

You ought to pin this thread though in order to avoid reactions like this one.

The text ads doesn't bother me one bit and besides I have no problem with them [Nice to See the Option though] and it helps the site. :yes:

Huh? I'm sure I've seen those on Neowin before. (oh, right... my reading fail)

Anyway, while they do bother me a bit, as opposed to regular banners, I'll still try not to disable them :p

So let me get this straight.. You had these in-text ads originally on the front page and for guests. Then you asked users why they adblocked Neowin and the majority of them said due to the in-text ads. So you removed them to get people to stop using adblock, or atleast to whitelist Neowin.

Now you've decided to ignore that feedback and bring them back and this time even subject logged in signed up users to them also?

Obviously this doesn't affect me as I'm a Subscriber-2 but I think you are harming the longevity of the site for a quick few bucks.

Also what was wrong with the old theme you only just got it in the first place. :blink: Wasteful Spending much.

• Like 8

So let me get this straight.. You had these in-text ads originally on the front page and for guests. Then you asked users why they adblocked Neowin and the majority of them said due to the in-text ads. So you removed them to get people to stop using adblock, or atleast to whitelist Neowin.

Now you've decided to ignore that feedback and bring them back and this time even subject logged in signed up users to them also?

Obviously this doesn't affect me as I'm a Subscriber-2 but I think you are harming the longevity of the site for a quick few bucks.

Also what was wrong with the old theme you only just got it in the first place. :blink: Wasteful Spending much.

The new theme is great, it's much nicer.

Why go to Windows 7 when you have 98?

Some good arguments, but we have responded to a few issues with the theme update.

Also there are people who don't mind them, so the happy medium is to show people how to opt-out, meaning the ones who don't have an issue with them can see them.

We also have paid staff on the team already, so not improving development of the site is even more wasteful. Some people might not be aware, but some staff are actually paid monthly for their contributions.

• Like 2

I don't mind ads but these... these I cannot stand. I suspect it won't help the downward trend in stats we're seeing.

I take it the opt-out is cookie-based and that I'll need to opt-out on every device/browser I use? :(

• Like 3

I don't mind ads but these... these I cannot stand. I suspect it won't help the downward trend in stats we're seeing.

I take it the opt-out is cookie-based and that I'll need to opt-out on every device/browser I use? :(

At least you can opt out, there's no option for me at all! :angry:

EDIT: Looks like the option is disabled if Adblock is enabled. I just disabled it for that site and it showed up.

EDIT: Looks like the option is disabled if Adblock is enabled. I just disabled it for that site and it showed up.

Jeez, why get so angry when, even if it had been disabled for you, it obviously wouldn't have been disabled on purpose?

There isn't an "opt-out" option, that is for sending information to Vibrate for targeting ads. If you have adblock enabled on vibrant.com, it won't give you the option to disable ads

There isn't an "opt-out" option, that is for sending information to Vibrate for targeting ads. If you have adblock enabled on vibrant.com, it won't give you the option to disable ads

That's what I meant, I figured it out now.

I'll leave them on. I always like to support sites that give me content for free, that's why I never block/disable ads.

I feel the same way and I'm glad to see you do as well.

I was gonna suggest, the minimal cost of it, why not just join as a Tier 2? :)

Since I have -0- income and no health care, I cannot afford it.

Since I have -0- income and no health care, I cannot afford it.

Theres an app Obama for that. :p