[UK] iPhone 4 Handset Prices Announced PAYG

Source : Geeky Gadgets

The 16GB iPhone 4 will retail for ?189 on their cheapest 18 month contract which costs ?30 a month, whilst the 32GB iPhone 4 will retail for ?280 on their cheapest ?30 a month contract.

16GB Prices/Tarrifs

vodafone-iphone-4price_11.jpg

32GB Prices/Tarrifs

vodafone-iphone-4price_21.jpg

What does everyone in the UK think about these?! I know O2 have released their tarrif prices, but they have kept the handset prices quiet. Nice to finally see a handset price!

EDIT:

Thought I would do some calculations so people can see the total costs (includes handset price).

16GB 24 Months

25GBP PM = ?789

30GBP PM = ?869

35GBP PM = ?929

40GBP PM = ?1,019

45GBP PM = ?1,080

60GBP PM = ?1,440

16GB 18 Months

30GBP PM = ?729

35GBP PM = ?779

40GBP PM = ?809

45GBP PM = ?869

50GBP PM = ?900

65GBP PM = ?1,170

32GB 24 Months

25GBP PM = ?880

30GBP PM = ?959

35GBP PM = ?1,019

40GBP PM = ?1,109

45GBP PM = ?1,169

60GBP PM = ?1,440

32GB 18 Months

30GBP PM = ?820

35GBP PM = ?869

40GBP PM = ?899

45GBP PM = ?959

50GBP PM = ?989

65GBP PM = ?1,170

EDIT No.2

Apple have the iPhone 4 available for Pre-Order through the Apple Store, I say available however this is not the case. They have the page set up but when you click 'Pre Order' you get sent to a link that doesn't exist.

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=MTM3NDkwMzI

iPhone 4 16GB PAYG = ?499

iPhone 4 32GB PAYG = ?599.

Not carrier specific by the looks of it at the moment!

Hmm to be honest that is pretty reasonable considering the technology in the iPhone, its about on par with all the android handsets.

Hmm to be honest that is pretty reasonable considering the technology in the iPhone, its about on par with all the android handsets.

My thought exactly.

How does that compare to the 3GS prices when they first got it?

About the same mate from what I have read!

But if the phone is on par with the tech in the Android phones, and I was under the impression that you could get most of the new Androids free on a £30/£35 contract (24m), then isn't this is a bit pricey?

As it normally is with the iPhone?

I think they have a pretty good pricing model there. I'll wait and see what o2 brings to the table before I start to make any decisions.

Reasonable? You having a laugh?

?35 per month on an 18 month contract for 300 minutes + ?149 for the LESSER iPhone is reasonable? Wow.

?35 per month on an 18 month contract for 300 minutes + ?149 for the LESSER iPhone is reasonable? Wow.

I dont use a lot of minutes so i guess i dont really care, im on a ?15 a month contract and if T-Mobile can give me a similar package to Voda ?25 a month and ?189 for phone id snap it up in an instant.

These prices are ridiculous, at least the Americans get them at a half reasonable price.

You can either pay a huge premium and ?30 per month for an iPhone 4, or get the HTC Desire for FREE for ?30 per month.

I know which I'd choose to be honest.

Dont buy one then, everyone knows Apple products are premium products that cost a lot, early adopters always pay more. Yes you can get a Desire with lower resolution screen, personally i want the screen and app store, ive got an Android phone and the app store pales in comparison to the calibre of apps on iPhone.

All depends on what you use?! For someone like me who is very Text/Data heavy, as opposed to Minutes then it really doesn't bother me. As long as I get Unlimited Texts and a decent amount of Data then I am happy. Minutes are a bonus as I use on average about 100 minutes a month.

You say LESSER, but it's just the capacity that is 'LESSER'. 16GB will be able for me, don't really use my iPhone to store lots of Music/Photos ect....... Apps don't use up much storage either.

You have to weigh up Pro's & Con's of Contract vs PAYG, they have plenty. PAYG with the iPhone you can expect to pay ?450 at the minimum I would say. It's whether people can afford the big outlay to start or not. Contract allows people to 'spread' the cost if you must, most people will be able to sell their previous iPhone 3G or 3GS to cover the cost of the 'Handset' price. If you don't have the luxury of being able to do this, then you have to find other ways to fund it.

Technology is never cheap, especially with highly desirable technology like the iPhone, it's never going to be cheap & networks arent going to offer amazing deals because people are willing to pay the amounts already on offer.

very expensive as always with iphones. HTC Desire is a much better bang for buck phone. Can't wait to see the Motorola and HTC phones in the coming months which will undoubtably conclusively beat the iphone 4 in all areas. The iphone only really wins in battery tests, have that new motion sensor and the higher res screen, can't think of any other positive it has over the EVO 4G. What HTC needs to start doing is advertising more, getting their products onto tv shows and making press unveilings like apple does, they will be able to sell alot more phones this way.

No, only fools think that.

The Desire would cost me about ?180 on the contract i want and it has lesser technology than the iPhone, show me another phone that costs less than ?200 on contract that has 960x640 screen, 5mp camera that is actually decent quality, 720p video capture (without hacks), etc..

The Desire would cost me about ?180 on the contract i want and it has lesser technology than the iPhone, show me another phone that costs less than ?200 on contract that has 960x640 screen, 5mp camera that is actually decent quality, 720p video capture (without hacks), etc..

So having a better screen warrants hundreds of pounds more? I don't see a problem with the Desire screen at all, and I fail to see how the iPhone's "retina" screen will be SO GOOD that it warrants anything more than what it's competitors offer. Good hype though.

The Desire has a very good 5MP camera. So good infact that when my bro's arrived today, we did hand to hand tests with my mates Sony Ericsson Vivaz which DOES have supposed HD recording. We couldn't see any difference in the photos or videos. Me and my bro don't wear glasses either, so it's not like our vision is impaired in anyway.

I'm not saying that the iPhone 4 is bad. I plan on getting one on PAYG. But anyone that get's those ludicrous tariffs posted above deserves to get raped for every penny. Let's see what Three brings to the market.

So having a better screen warrants hundreds of pounds more? I don't see a problem with the Desire screen at all, and I fail to see how the iPhone's "retina" screen will be SO GOOD that it warrants anything more than what it's competitors offer. Good hype though.

The Desire has a very good 5MP camera. So good infact that when my bro's arrived today, we did hand to hand tests with my mates Sony Ericsson Vivaz which DOES have supposed HD recording. We couldn't see any difference in the photos or videos. Me and my bro don't wear glasses either, so it's not like our vision is impaired in anyway.

I'm not saying that the iPhone 4 is bad. I plan on getting one on PAYG. But anyone that get's those ludicrous tariffs posted above deserves to get raped for every penny. Let's see what Three brings to the market.

Its not hundreds of pounds more, on T-Mobile the desire on ?25 a month contract with 300 mins and 300 texts the phone costs ?340. The phone is brand new, after a few months prices will start to come down and you will start to see it being free with certain tarrifs, i dont know why you are ragging on Apple im pretty sure its the mobile networks that set the price of handset offset by monthly tarrif.

I dont care about marketing hyperbole, retina display is an awful name. The iPhone screen though is 960x640, go look at comparison threads the iPhone zoomed all the way out you can read all the small text, on an 800x480/854x480 screen like the myriad of Android phones you cant read the text you have to zoom in, there is more screen real estate and its much higher quality than any android phone out now. The reason it is 960x640 is that the original iphones screens 480x320 divide into iphone 4g resolution which means all those apps wont look as distorted as it would if Apple had gone with the regular 800x480 screen.

Bit harsh saying people deserved to be raped just because they want an iPhone 4g and dont care about the amount of minutes and texts. If you dont like it dont buy it dont whine about it on a forum.

To be honest, those tariffs are better than I was expecting. I'm probably going to move from O2 to Vodafone - getting sick of O2's lack of signal in London (making a phone call at 5pm in London on O2 is almost impossible).

there is more screen real estate and its much higher quality than any android phone out now.

That's bull as the screen is smaller than on the Desire. And the comparisons are a bit dodgy as well. I've got a 3GS sitting infront of me, the New York Times looks no way as bad as some comparisons have shown. Lies-filled marketing to promote the iPhone 4? Maybe.

Bit harsh saying people deserved to be raped just because they want an iPhone 4g and dont care about the amount of minutes and texts. If you dont like it dont buy it dont whine about it on a forum.

What's the point paying over the odd prices for a contract that one may not be content with? Being Sheeple, that's why. If you want to be one, then fine, but I'm still going to criticise.

And didn't you read the bottom? I'm getting the iPhone on PAYG, although not at the stupidly overpriced prices O2 will charge (?549 for the 32GB version). Come on.

Well if anything they are better than what O2 is offering.... but I think ill stay with O2 on the ?45 tarrif and just add a 1gb data bolt on in Oct.

That's bull as the screen is smaller than on the Desire. And the comparisons are a bit dodgy as well. I've got a 3GS sitting infront of me, the New York Times looks no way as bad as some comparisons have shown. Lies-filled marketing to promote the iPhone 4? Maybe.

From the videos and pictures I've seen so far, the difference is humongous compared to the 3G/3Gs. (Y)

I'm not going to debate whether it's better than the Android line-up or other competitors, however it's a huge improvement from it's predecessors..

What's the point paying over the odd prices for a contract that one may not be content with? Being Sheeple, that's why. If you want to be one, then fine, but I'm still going to criticise.

And didn't you read the bottom? I'm getting the iPhone on PAYG, although not at the stupidly overpriced prices O2 will charge (?549 for the 32GB version). Come on.

You are making pretty big assumptions, i hate Apple, its marketing tactics and its followers but i am a big technology geek. I already stated that i dont give a toss about the low minutes and texts as i get unlimited text bolt on for free with my contract and if i only have to pay an extra ?10 a month to get a phone packed with technology that most phones out today cannot touch then i will pay ?189. That doesnt mean im an Apple fanboy you can try and rationalise your criticism as much as you want.