[UK] iPhone 4 Handset Prices Announced PAYG

The tariffs seem pretty much what I was expecting, would have liked to see the phone becoming free in the 24 month ?30-35 range though.

There is no doubt that the iPhone4 will be a hit, whilst I'm not a fan of the device Apple have done pretty much everything right with the iPhone so far (even with releasing pretty standard features months into its life cycle) and don't see them messing it up now.

For now though i'm happy with my Desire :)

I'd like to say that the iPhone 4 is available to Pre-Order on Apple UK. They have it showing and priced, but click on the Pre-Order Button and the link it takes you to, doesn't exist.

PAYG Prices from Apple are 16GB = £499 & 32GB = £599.

Here is the link: http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=MTM3NDkwMzI

The PAYG prices are certainly up. I paid ?550 for the 32Gb 3GS last september. I can't remember how much they were charging for the 16gb but presumably about ?450.

Guess I'll have to stay happy with my 3GS for another year!!!

Just to confirm that the i4 direct from Apple UK is being sold unlocked and SIM-free. That might explain the seemingly higher prices when compared to the US prices since the i4 in the US is subject to a two-year contract.

Just to confirm that the i4 direct from Apple UK is being sold unlocked and SIM-free. That might explain the seemingly higher prices when compared to the US prices since the i4 in the US is subject to a two-year contract.

Do they even sell it PAYG in the US? Let alone handset only.

What I'm not liking the look of is that carriers over here are trying to push consumers more and more towards the 2 year contracts, the deals are looking decidedly worse when you compare last years 18 month contracts to this years.

£499 for a phone, Im out.

Hopefully the networks will discount a little, to get some more customers.

Rumours are saying that no networks will release pricing today, due to supply issuses. :rolleyes:

It also seems like Apple might not deliver to Scotland :pinch: :laugh:

£500 lol, the 16gb 3GS is £450 so they increase the price by £50. You could buy a very nice laptop for £500 with a 3G card etc, iphones are just a rip off, the HTC EVO 4G is a better phone overall and cheaper. The next HTC and motorola phones will kick the iphone4's ass as they only have that new motion sensor and higher res screen advantage over their competitors. Give it 4 months and we'll be saying apple who? motorola said they may be bringing out a 2ghz phone later this year, that would be tasty. The iphone4's front facing camera is only 640x480 and i think only 15fps judging from the engadget video review, the EVO 4G has 1.3mp i believe and 30fps and it will also work with other phones and will work on 3G which iphone4 won't until 2011.

Iphone4 is certainly a nice improvement but its still lacking in quite a few areas.

Its like that with any new phone, contracts and handsets are expensive, wait a few months prices will drop.

They wont :p

With the exception of end of line stock (i.e. getting rid of old models (2G, 3Gs now), I don't think Apple have ever reduced the price of the iPhone.

I *very* much doubt that. The Apple store said "from ?499" which suggests different prices for different operators.

There's no law in the UK which states that phones must be sold unlocked - they'd never do it.

The Apple store said "from £499" which suggests different prices for different operators.

Or it suggests that the 16GB iPhone 4 is £499, and 32GB version is more?

I'm pretty sure that these are the unlocked prices. PAYG prices have yet to be announced.

I think it's a good price for a first iPhone. But if you already have one I think these prices aren't worth the upgrade. I have a 32GB 3GS which I paid £540 for from Apples store. The new one is £599 and I don't feel the need to upgrade although I think the new iPhone has some great specifications. I'll wait a year and see what the next iPhone is like. After-all with OS 4 on the 3GS (which I've already installed) I don't really have that itch to get the latest thing.

Am I in the minority with my thinking on this? -- What say you current iPhone owners?

Or it suggests that the 16GB iPhone 4 is £499, and 32GB version is more?

I'm pretty sure that these are the unlocked prices. PAYG prices have yet to be announced.

No, it said "From £499" for 16GB and "From £599" for 32GB.

Apple have never sold unlocked iPhones in the UK, and I doubt they'll start now (and if they do, I doubt it'll be £499/£599).

Apple (directly) are selling the iPhone 4 SIM free and unlocked. Its on their website. I've tried to order but it failed miserably, so reserved instore :D

The reservation asked whether I want to get it on contract, PAYG or... SIM free.

The Store when it worked clearly stated it was sim free and a service was needed.

Apple have never sold unlocked iPhones in the UK, and I doubt they'll start now.

They've never needed to because it was only on O2 before (talking about just initial launches). It's the only iPhone that is being released on more than 1 network at launch, so now there's a reason to sell unlocked ones.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just debating whether or not those prices are for unlocked or PAYG iPhones.

They've never needed to because it was only on O2 before (talking about just initial launches). It's the only iPhone that is being released on more than 1 network at launch, so now there's a reason to sell unlocked ones.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just debating whether or not those prices are for unlocked or PAYG iPhones.

On their website they stated that it was unlocked, but it's a bit suspicious that the site has been taken down so quickly. If they were unlocked, why would prices be "from"...

ip4_1.jpg

Edit: Actually, looks like the "from" text is the mistake, not the "unlocked" text.

Just managed to add the iPhone 4 16GB to my basket and saw the Accessory Prices but then it kicked me out. Dock ?25 & Applcare ?60 were the main things I took note of.

Just managed to add the iPhone 4 16GB to my basket and saw the Accessory Prices but then it kicked me out. Dock ?25 & Applcare ?60 were the main things I took note of.

Available accessories:

Apple iPhone 4 Bumper - Black - ?25.00

Apple iPhone 4 Bumper - White - ?25.00

Apple iPhone 4 Bumper - Pink - ?25.00

Apple iPhone 4 Bumper - Blue - ?25.00

Apple iPhone 4 Bumper - Green - ?25.00

Apple iPhone 4 Bumper - Orange - ?25.00

Apple iPhone 4 Dock - ?25.00

Apple iPhone 4 Universal Dock Adapters - ?7.00

Apple World Travel Adapter Kit - ?30.00

Apple USB Power Adapter - ?25.00

Apple Dock Connector to USB Cable - ?15.00

MobileMe - ?43.99

MobileMe Family Pack - ?73.99

iPhone - AppleCare Protection Plan - ?60.00

Its not hundreds of pounds more, on T-Mobile the desire on ?25 a month contract with 300 mins and 300 texts the phone costs ?340. The phone is brand new, after a few months prices will start to come down and you will start to see it being free with certain tarrifs, i dont know why you are ragging on Apple im pretty sure its the mobile networks that set the price of handset offset by monthly tarrif.

Uh...i recently bought a Desire on T-Mobile and it's ?15 per month for 300 mins/texts + 'unlimited' internet and the handset cost me around ?110 not including the ?30 cashback.

Also those PayG prices are more expensive than the 3GS was. I picked up my 3GS in February for ?440, not ?499.

Massive LOL @ the Apple crew trying to justify this ridiculous price. By all means go ahead and waste your money. There is no doubt the I4 is a nice bit of kit, but it isn?t worth that much at all. I?ll take my Desire any day thanks.