[Official] Kinect - Over 4 million units sold!

It has buttons so it fits well into typical mainstream games?

Uh, what?

Why have it if the sole reason for having it is "it has buttons"? You already have a controller with buttons. And if you're not going to require it to be used for games, why would someone want to get it? It's not like the games are the equivalent of good Wii games -- most right now are just tack-ons, like I said.

Sorry, misread you. Still, the games work and the fact that Move has buttons will assist them in being able to fit them into current 'core' games.

Microsoft has already announced that there will be hybrid games that use Kinect along with the buttons on your controller, which will "assist" as you say.

Microsoft has already announced that there will be hybrid games that use Kinect along with the buttons on your controller, which will "assist" as you say.

What a company says in the early days of a new piece of hardware, and what a company actually does are two different things laugh.gif I hope Microsoft do deliver on their word, but I won't hold my breath just yet.

I don't get their advertising campaign though when they are basically saying 'You are the controller', then having to back track to bring back the real controller to allow you to play games. Sort of shows that sticks/buttons are needed I guess?

What a company says in the early days of a new piece of hardware, and what a company actually does are two different things laugh.gif I hope Microsoft do deliver on their word, but I won't hold my breath just yet.

They already announced some hybrid games...so it's not two different things this time. laugh.gif

I don't get their advertising campaign though when they are basically saying 'You are the controller', then having to back track to bring back the real controller to allow you to play games. Sort of shows that sticks/buttons are needed I guess?

Kinect only games, you ARE the controller. At no point did they say they were replacing core games or controllers. No back tracking rofl.gif

But Kinect only games look terrible and are severely limited in what they can do, which was my point.

Hope the future is bright for Kinect though, I really want one!! laugh.gif

But Kinect only games look terrible and are severely limited in what they can do, which was my point.

Even the capabilities of the system weren't known until the last six months before release iirc.

And they're upgrading the Kinect software soon so they still aren't :p :) But the baseline is set now obviously, which'll make it a lot easier on developers.

I'll have mine set up in a room with much more space later on this week. Anyone up for volleyball or table tennis?

Well you are entitled to your opinion, I will give you that.

Hope the future is bright for Kinect though, I really want one!! laugh.gif

While the idea of an upgrade to the hardware through software was denied by Microsoft I think there is no doubt that the games will only get better. Think about when a console gets released and then compare that to games on that very same console 3-5 years later. It's still the same hardware but as time goes by and the developers learn their way around the hardware they can output better software for it.

The reason I was coming in the thread was to comment on Ubisoft's Motion Sports. A friend lent it to me this weekend and it really surprised me. The menu was very simple and responsive and the games were fun too. I had more fun that I anticipated with the hand-gliding. The horseback riding was hard, though. So far I'm having a great time with my Kinect.

Can someone with Kinect Sports tell me how good it is in comparison to Adventures? I see a ton of reviews saying it's quite a bit better, but I just tried the demo and wasn't feeling it at all. I'm a big sports enthusiast, and it just didn't get the feeling down for me, unlike Adventures.

Can someone with Kinect Sports tell me how good it is in comparison to Adventures? I see a ton of reviews saying it's quite a bit better, but I just tried the demo and wasn't feeling it at all. I'm a big sports enthusiast, and it just didn't get the feeling down for me, unlike Adventures.

Your replies will be all opinions. Kinect Sports is NOT Madden+Tiger+FIFA+Brunswick all in one package. It's a family friendly sports title similar to Wii Sports. You can play against the AI, against friends or family in your house (up to 4 players), or play over Xbox Live.

There is discus, long jump, javelin, sprint, hurdles, boxing, bowling, table tennis, volleyball and soccer. You can choose to go through a loosely termed "career" with beginner, medium and hard difficulty. You can "level up" as well. There are also the mini games, which are similar to the mini games you find in Wii Sports (knocking down a bazillion pins, etc).

As for comparing to Adventures, I like Sports substantially more than Adventures. Much more to do, much more accurate, less lag and you can include more people to play with you. There are ALOT of tutorial screens and cut scene game previews in Kinect Sports, and you can fortunately choose to turn those all off so that you can get into the games faster.

I tried the demo for Kinect Sports, but boy that demo sucked. It was WAY too short and didn't give you much time to "experience" the game.

Your replies will be all opinions. Kinect Sports is NOT Madden+Tiger+FIFA+Brunswick all in one package. It's a family friendly sports title similar to Wii Sports. You can play against the AI, against friends or family in your house (up to 4 players), or play over Xbox Live.

There is discus, long jump, javelin, sprint, hurdles, boxing, bowling, table tennis, volleyball and soccer. You can choose to go through a loosely termed "career" with beginner, medium and hard difficulty. You can "level up" as well. There are also the mini games, which are similar to the mini games you find in Wii Sports (knocking down a bazillion pins, etc).

As for comparing to Adventures, I like Sports substantially more than Adventures. Much more to do, much more accurate, less lag and you can include more people to play with you. There are ALOT of tutorial screens and cut scene game previews in Kinect Sports, and you can fortunately choose to turn those all off so that you can get into the games faster.

I tried the demo for Kinect Sports, but boy that demo sucked. It was WAY too short and didn't give you much time to "experience" the game.

Thanks!

I haven't tried Kinect Sports, but my friend did lend me Motion Sports from Ubisoft and I was impressed with it. I'm not sure if there's a demo for it.

I like Kinect sports roughly the same as Kinect Adventures. Since I already have a wii, the bowling is nothing new, it plays nearly identically and most of the other games as strictly average. The big plus however is the football (soccer for the Americans) whilst it doesn't give you that many options it is great fun playing against a friend gets you nicely warmed up. I got sports included in a package for £300 with the 4gb xbox slim, 250gb hard drive (because they had no 250gb consoles left) and the kinect. I would have been extremely ****ed off if I had pulled out £40 for it, because it is just about worth half of that imo.

Thanks for that, I've been wondering about Kinect Sports as well, so I might go pick it up now.