[Official] Kinect - Over 4 million units sold!

Yes, you will lose immersion indeed. I had mine off center like the image you have above for a little bit last night as I was running some wiring and my son was playing. It was all the way to the left of the TV, and it worked just fine. It's not ideal, but you are between a rock and a hard place with your living room setup.

Something else that just dawned on me while thinking about all of this, a lot of the time while I am playing something, my wife is on the couch on her laptop, or whatever the case may be. The couch on the right is her couch, the couch in front of the TV is my couch, for the obvious reason it is smack dab in the middle of the TV, so it is ideal for when I play whatever I play.

So let's say I want to play some Kinect just by myself, I think that means I would then tell her she cannot be on the right couch because it would also track her movement, even if she is just sitting there with her laptop. Am I right there? I mean it is not like she does a ton of movement while sitting on the couch, but obviously, there would be some natural movement (reaching to get a drink, her phone, etc. etc.).

So I think that is yet another obstacle in my setup. pinch.gif

I think all signs are pointing to the fact it is just not going to work in my current setup. I was really looking forward to hooking it up later tonight, but common sense is telling me it just is not going to work out because of the couch issue I now just thought of and the width issue.

I was playing last night, my girlfriend was sitting on the couch behind me, and the Kinect never noticed her during the game. This was Dance Central, so you can see the outline of yourself, and it never mistook the two of us.

But yes, I can say that space is an issue. Still trying to figure that out myself.

If she shows up in the field of view, especially if you do Kinect ID with her for facial/body recognition, the system will indeed recognize her and could put her on the screen. My son had to duck out of the field of view a few times last night because it would add him to the game, or sometimes it was asking player two to take control of the cursor.

I think all signs are pointing to the fact it is just not going to work in my current setup. I was really looking forward to hooking it up later tonight, but common sense is telling me it just is not going to work out because of the couch issue I now just thought of and the width issue.

If you decide you don't want it, you should keep it and sell it on ebay closer to the xmas season. It should be worth a good value by then.

Something else that just dawned on me while thinking about all of this, a lot of the time while I am playing something, my wife is on the couch on her laptop, or whatever the case may be. The couch on the right is her couch, the couch in front of the TV is my couch, for the obvious reason it is smack dab in the middle of the TV, so it is ideal for when I play whatever I play.

So let's say I want to play some Kinect just by myself, I think that means I would then tell her she cannot be on the right couch because it would also track her movement, even if she is just sitting there with her laptop. Am I right there? I mean it is not like she does a ton of movement while sitting on the couch, but obviously, there would be some natural movement (reaching to get a drink, her phone, etc. etc.).

So I think that is yet another obstacle in my setup. pinch.gif

Shouldn't be a problem, if you're using the kinect it will focus on you. she will need to step into the gamer area to be considered.

as for beign detected out of game, you need to wave 3 teams with an actual wave motion, so she won't be detected and activate the kinect hub without doing that. so reachign for coffee shouldn't be a problem, and in game she won't be detected unlee she get up next to you in the game area.

Larry, as everyone else said, it won't pick your wife up while she is sitting on the couch. My girlfriend was sitting on the couch behind me just watching, and it never recognized her. She would have to wave at the sensor and be in the game area as HawkMan said.

Just sucks that the right side is so tight space wise for you.

If she shows up in the field of view, especially if you do Kinect ID with her for facial/body recognition, the system will indeed recognize her and could put her on the screen. My son had to duck out of the field of view a few times last night because it would add him to the game, or sometimes it was asking player two to take control of the cursor.

Depends on the game, maybe, Dance Central won't pick anyone up unless they're standing. Adventures did seem happier to throw in anyone who came near the field of view.

If you decide you don't want it, you should keep it and sell it on ebay closer to the xmas season. It should be worth a good value by then.

I technically only have 30 days to return it to Gamestop if I do not want it.

So okay, thanks to everyone else that answered, was not sure about the whole thing with my wife also being in the background.

So would the best thing to do is not even set her up for facial recognition? Would she still be able to play games without it?

Realistically speaking I would be the one controlling it all of the time, so not sure what the benefits to being set up with the facial recognition thing are and are not just yet, but if she does not need it, but can still play, then I will probably not set her up. I am assuming down the road if I ever wanted to add her, I could. I know she is interested in one of the fitness games eventually, so I may have to add her for that?

So thanks again to everyone for the responses, I am still really up in the air about the whole space issue, but I may just go ahead and set it up and hope for the best, and then if it does not work, just hoping I would be able to sell it on EBay or Craigslist for the price I paid. I just really am not sure what to do here. I honestly am not.

Is there a list anywhere of upcoming Kinect games for next year?

Larry, check this **** out

plus they're releasing a new Steel Batallion game (with Kinect instead of 100 buttons)

and the dude who made No More Heroes is making a new game, but it's yet to be titled or shown

So would the best thing to do is not even set her up for facial recognition? Would she still be able to play games without it?

Yes.

Realistically speaking I would be the one controlling it all of the time, so not sure what the benefits to being set up with the facial recognition thing are and are not just yet, but if she does not need it, but can still play, then I will probably not set her up.

The recognition signs you in with your XBL account without the need to use the controller, pull up the guide, etc. Your wife and you could drop in and out with Kinect ID, and it would know who is who for each respective score and acheevos and tie them to those accounts.

I am assuming down the road if I ever wanted to add her, I could. I know she is interested in one of the fitness games eventually, so I may have to add her for that?

Yup.

I bought it and tried dance central last night with the gf! We had a blast and the freestyle was plain funny. Ican see it being a blast at partys.

Going to try the fitness evolved tonight and adventures

Thanks for all the replies and the help everyone.

I just returned it. Between the uncertainty with the width, the fact it really would be a pain in the ass moving my coffee table every-time I would want to play it (I did a test run real quick and it was definitely annoying), and the lackluster list of currently announced upcoming games, it just made no sense to keep it.

If they eventually release some games that excite me, then I will reconsider it, but as of now, I realized it was strictly just an impulse buy because they actually had one in stock, so it is returned, and I will just go ahead and enjoy Call Of Duty Black Ops when it is released next week.

Thanks again though, all the help is appreciated and really helped me solidify my decision. (Y)

Also, I made some kids really happy. Literally as I was returning it, a women came in with her two sons, both probably under 10 years old, asked if they had Kinect, and the guy said "As a matter of fact, now we have one thanks to this gentlemen." So it all worked out for the best. :yes:

Also, I made some kids really happy. Literally as I was returning it, a women came in with her two sons, both probably under 10 years old, asked if they had Kinect, and the guy said "As a matter of fact, now we have one thanks to this gentlemen." So it all worked out for the best. :yes:

(Y)

I'm sure once good games come out for it there will be plenty in stock.

Probably made some kids Christmas come early. :D

I'm surprised at the lack of space for some people, there would be no hope for the mine and the gfs place, there would be a serious lack of room unless I tried to set it up in a hallway, wouldn't even be able to move the living room so it was facing the length of the room as everything is set to be connected in place.

Just hope the gf doesn't find out about any of the fitness games, lol.

Tried Adventures this morning, Rallyball was a blast. The rafting one was a pain... just because it was hard to really control where you were going.

She tried the Fitness Evolve, and it was very impressive. After an impressive profile, measuring all of your arm lengths, etc, she got to the real test. She worked out with it for an hour or so, and was quite impressed. The tracking on it was very impressive. Doing all the tai chi, and cardio was great. She got quite a sweat.

The only thing she told me was it didn't track the knee kicks very well with the cardio game where you have to hit the boxes. Other than that, she loved it.

My impressions of Kinect so far. It's fun. Much more fun than the Move (as far as casual titles go). As of today, at 3:47pm CDT, I only have Kinect Adventures and the 3 demos that came with it (Dance, Joyride and Your Shape).

I have the Kinect hooked up to my Xbox 360 S. The Kinect hardware is resting on the top of my TV in the center. For those who don't have it yet, you will be instructed to put in a "disc" to install Kinect. The instructions also say to remove this disc once install is complete. Well, Kinect doesn't come with an install disc. It comes with the Kinect Adventures game on DVD, and it's that disc that you will want to put in the DVD drive. Obviously you won't need to remove it after install if you plan on playing it.

As for Kinect, it was just plug in, answer a couple quick questions...mic test, sound test, etc. Took a couple minutes. Then you go right into the game and play.

If you choose, you can later go and setup your Kinect ID. It's the "LEFT" page of the Kinect HUB. This is where you will spend another 5 or so minutes answering a couple more questions, and following the directions on the screen to do the recognition. Also on the Kinect HUB is the Kinect Tuner. It has some of the same questions you saw at the onset of installing Kinect, but it adds a voice recognition part, where you just have to read back the numbers on the screen.

Setup was painless and easy. The issue I had with Kinect ID was it took about 5 retries clicking "ok" to say that it recognized me. After that, KinectID remembers me each time I walk in.

Kinect Adventures...this is a Wii style casual game through and through. There is lag in this game. And yes, it is noticeable. The lag isn't an issue once you play each game a couple times, then you are just used to the "delay". For example, you will want to jump a little sooner in some of the games in Kinect Adventures. Other movements, such as moving to the side were not as laggy however.

Those that asked, yes you can turn off the photo taking feature in Kinect Adventures.

Dance Central and the Your Shape demos, superb and lag free from what I could tell. Very impressive, very accurate, and immediate responses. Dance Central is just like Rockband, but instead of matching the key colors, you just matching the leg/arm/head/hand/feet movements. You get the famous 5 stars if you do well, 1 star if you do poor. You get bonus points for doing good, the crowd gets more excited the better you do, and it tells you when you screw up and what part of your body messed up.

Joyride, it's great for little kids. Again, seems like a Wii title. Some lag. No gas...it's just go go go. It's like Mario Kart without the ability to stop/slow your car down.

Voice recognition, flawless and spot on in Zune Movies, Music, ESPN and moving about in Kinect HUB. Response time and recognition is perfect and instant. The same can be said for the minority report menu navigation with your hands. Works flawless, but will be slower to use than a controller and voice recognition. If you memorize the boxes (I have 17 boxes on my hub), then using voice is actually much faster than controller.

The actual feel of the Kinect hardware, quality wise, is very impressive. It's very light, yet it's packed with technology. The motorized tilt is slick, and you barely notice it move and you can't hear it.

As for space, I moved my couch back. Yes, you need some space for 2 or more people. Where my couch was prior to setting up Kinect did work with one person, but it was way to tight for two. Moving it back addressed this.

As for my setup, see below. Note, I haven't assembled my couch back together yet, so disregard the larger gaps between the sections. I need to make sure I have it right where I want it before I put it back together.

IMG_2180.JPG

IMG_2182.JPG

IMG_2183.JPG

IMG_2185.JPG

IMG_2190.JPG

IMG_2191.JPG

IMG_2193.JPG

IMG_2197.JPG

Those pictures AW just made it seem like a reason to show off your living room! : p

I'm now debating whether to get it or not, haha, after my bad mouthing of it...Seeing as it has sold pretty well, maybe there'll be some half-decent games coming out for it in the near future. That, and I need something for my birthday and Christmas presents!

AWBrian, what are you using to mount the sensor to the tv?

I'm extremely hesitant to stick anything to my TV, even if it's on the top where you really can't see it if the sensor gets removed.