Codename: "Fusion OS"

Question

Hello!

I'm Keith Wright, and I have posted here a few times before, and love Neowin! Anyways the point of this post is that I am starting a Operating System Project codenamed "Fusion OS". I already have concepts, and mock-ups and even have a working build. It is based on Ubuntu (right now.) and uses some things from Fedora Core. The people currently working on the project are me and one other developer. I have a software company Simply Innovation, that will end up marketing it in the end. But the main point of this is that we need some developers and ideas for the project! If you have any ideas just post them below! The aim of the project is to make a STUNNING user interface, and make it a simplistic OS but yet powerful. And we need a name! We will also be developing our own web browser for this OS, which in turn will be available for all Linux distributions. (it is already developed for Windows.) I will post a concept screen shot below to give you an idea of what we already have. So if your interested in being a part of this project, we would greatly appreciate it, and it will be fun, and we can form a great team. We also have a Project Manager website set up to manage everything. If you have any questions or comments do ask!

image001bx.png

Thanks,

Keith Wright.

i would totally go for a taskbar in the middle of my screen. at least I want the option. imagine partitioning your desktop into two different spaces. a lot of us with big monitors or multiple monitors would love that. put two taskbars right in the middle of the screen and split the massive thing so you can multi task.

oh and also goodluck on this I will let a few friends know about this and maybe they can offer more help than I can. I personally am not on linux simply because managing multiple monitors was a nightmare and I HAVE to have them. also some of my games wouldn't run on wine.

i would totally go for a taskbar in the middle of my screen. at least I want the option. imagine partitioning your desktop into two different spaces. a lot of us with big monitors or multiple monitors would love that. put two taskbars right in the middle of the screen and split the massive thing so you can multi task.

oh and also goodluck on this I will let a few friends know about this and maybe they can offer more help than I can. I personally am not on linux simply because managing multiple monitors was a nightmare and I HAVE to have them. also some of my games wouldn't run on wine.

Ok, well since a couple people seem to want it in the middle of the screen I will be sure to add an option. ;) the new taskbar is a spin-off of the original Gnome Panel. And thanks for letting some people know I really appreciate that, and I was thinking about integrating Wine with the OS but I am not sure about it yet, what do you think about it?

Nice, I like I like. Thought, Something look off on top.

BTW, what ever happened to Neowin Linux?

Not enough support and no time.

Ok, well since a couple people seem to want it in the middle of the screen I will be sure to add an option. ;) the new taskbar is a spin-off of the original Gnome Panel. And thanks for letting some people know I really appreciate that, and I was thinking about integrating Wine with the OS but I am not sure about it yet, what do you think about it?

Kinda looks like the OSX dock. If your OS does every take off, expect Apple's lawyers to be knocking on your door.

This may be a difficult undertaking: Improve the font. I've always found the font in Linux to be somewhat unimpressive.

Actually they cannot use proprietary fonts which are used in Windows/Mac OS, so they would have to create new fonts.

Actually they cannot use proprietary fonts which are used in Windows/Mac OS, so they would have to create new fonts.

We have found a very nice font that is royalty free I can't remember the exact name right now (ill post it later) but it is very clean and smooth. The one in the screen shot is not that font.

We have found a very nice font that is royalty free I can't remember the exact name right now (ill post it later) but it is very clean and smooth. The one in the screen shot is not that font.

As a graphic designer of Shift Linux (dead linux project) I would like to collaborate with Fusion team. Waiting details on PM.

Cosmin

As a graphic designer of Shift Linux (dead linux project) I would like to collaborate with Fusion team. Waiting details on PM.

Cosmin

I PM'd you some info! Also everyone here is the idea I was talking about , I will add a screenshot below. I made a mockup idea of a menu something like gnoMenu, or Windows' start menu. This is just a concept and is not in production, I just wanted some feedback. What do you think? :)

post-323196-12790694106356.png

I thought you guys might enjoy seeing the second concept we ever drew up for Fusion OS. As you can see its a bit different now. ;)

Sorry, but no. Simply no. PLEASE don't make another bad Mac clone to add to the millions already available.

If you're interested in some graphic designing maybe you wanna ask me? :)

Glassed Silver:mac

Sorry, but no. Simply no. PLEASE don't make another bad Mac clone to add to the millions already available.

This isn't a Mac clone? That was a concept and the dock was a spin off of AWN. If you look at page one it doesn't look like that anymore anyways.

If you're interested in some graphic designing maybe you wanna ask me? :)

Glassed Silver:mac

Yeah, Graphics is going to be a BIG part of this project, Cosmin might be doing graphics also (havent got a reply yet.) But you are welcome to also if you want to be on the team! ;) I will PM you info later.

I want to see someone not using Linux. I wish someone would take the time, and effort to release something that isn't bsed around it. I know it's free and all that crap, but seriously. I love so many systems out there, but Linux is just not far enough ahead.

People need to focus on the backend instead of the pretty UI. Ease of use is the only thing that's going to help Linux, it's getting better, but it still has so far to go. I also want ALL of my Windows apps to work. Not some, not buggy, all of them.

Do that. You'll get users more willing to make the switch.

But the UI you have above looks very nice.

I also want ALL of my Windows apps to work. Not some, not buggy, all of them.

This statement makes you look like a moron. Learn about programming before you say something like this.

I want to see someone not using Linux. I wish someone would take the time, and effort to release something that isn't bsed around it. I know it's free and all that crap, but seriously. I love so many systems out there, but Linux is just not far enough ahead.

People need to focus on the backend instead of the pretty UI. Ease of use is the only thing that's going to help Linux, it's getting better, but it still has so far to go.

I sorta agree with the rest of this post.

You might want to first make something that looks/act like Windows (so users will be familiar with it) then after that work on the "backend"; A distribution system which is easy, a "click-install-run" sort of enviroment, integrate WINE and similar projects with your OS and/or port popular freeware Windows applications, etc.

Also, dont follow GNU/FOSS/FSF rules as that basically has gotten the Linux base nowhere; Make your own rules and maybe some day people will follow it :)

This statement makes you look like a moron. Learn about programming before you say something like this.

I sorta agree with the rest of this post.

You might want to first make something that looks/act like Windows (so users will be familiar with it) then after that work on the "backend"; A distribution system which is easy, a "click-install-run" sort of enviroment, integrate WINE and similar projects with your OS and/or port popular freeware Windows applications, etc.

Also, dont follow GNU/FOSS/FSF rules as that basically has gotten the Linux base nowhere; Make your own rules and maybe some day people will follow it :)

No. I know plenty about the limitations of what I'm asking. I just want some developers to focus on not so much compatability, but actually having good alternatives to applications available under Windows.

For a lot of Linux users, what's available is good enough. I don't want good enough, I want as good, if not better. That's the one thing that annoys me about Linux.

I love it. I really do. But I've found over the years, I'm always back to Windows. Why? Because all the time is spent on people making new pretty GUI's based on software that is already doing a perfectly fine job at being an OS.

...I also want ALL of my Windows apps to work. Not some, not buggy, all of them.

That would be Windows.

Quite honestly, if you are dependent on apps that only run in Windows, then Windows is the platform you need. Not Linux. Not OSX.

If you want a Windows that is NOT Windows, then you want ReactOS, not Linux/OSX/Windows. But don't expect 100% fidelity there, either.

(N) Unnecessary.

No. I know plenty about the limitations of what I'm asking. I just want some developers to focus on not so much compatability, but actually having good alternatives to applications available under Windows.

Ahh but wait

"good alternatives to applications available under Windows."

is ALOT different than

"I also want ALL of my Windows apps to work. Not some, not buggy, all of them."

(N) Unnecessary.

Necessary. The way he worded it in the post before his last post is WAY different then what he says he ment.

People need to focus on the backend instead of the pretty UI. Ease of use is the only thing that's going to help Linux, it's getting better, but it still has so far to go. I also want ALL of my Windows apps to work. Not some, not buggy, all of them.

Dont blame Linux for not being far enough ahead. Linux is a very capable, and stable Operating System. The problem is that the people making Linux distros aren't focusing on usability. And there not including many lightweight, and essential packages. To have good usability you have to have a good UI, and quick and easy access to common places, settings, and do more with fewer clicks. But all your Windows programs will not work on Linux, there not designed for Linux. Now as you said some will, and the ones that dont you can most likely find an alternative. What we will be doing for many core apps for Fusion is taking the source of existing apps, and improving them, there interface, and simplifying names. Like instead of "gedit text editor" it will simply be named something like "Text Editor" clean and simple names. That was just an examplle though! ;)

Looks like a decent work-in-progress OS. Hope it blossoms into its own instead of just another Ubuntu spin-off.