Codename: "Fusion OS"

Question

Hello!

I'm Keith Wright, and I have posted here a few times before, and love Neowin! Anyways the point of this post is that I am starting a Operating System Project codenamed "Fusion OS". I already have concepts, and mock-ups and even have a working build. It is based on Ubuntu (right now.) and uses some things from Fedora Core. The people currently working on the project are me and one other developer. I have a software company Simply Innovation, that will end up marketing it in the end. But the main point of this is that we need some developers and ideas for the project! If you have any ideas just post them below! The aim of the project is to make a STUNNING user interface, and make it a simplistic OS but yet powerful. And we need a name! We will also be developing our own web browser for this OS, which in turn will be available for all Linux distributions. (it is already developed for Windows.) I will post a concept screen shot below to give you an idea of what we already have. So if your interested in being a part of this project, we would greatly appreciate it, and it will be fun, and we can form a great team. We also have a Project Manager website set up to manage everything. If you have any questions or comments do ask!

image001bx.png

Thanks,

Keith Wright.

Looks sweet! Can't wait to try, got a few things.

* For WINE, I would intergrate it if possible, would help with people switching from Windows, or rely on Windows apps.

* Will this be on a Live CD like other Linux OS's. Would love to use it as a Live CD

* If possible, when finished could you make it like Wubi, so it installs through Windows and can easily be removed

* Is it still based on Ubuntu, I hope it is since Ubuntu to me has the most programs available. Mainly browsers like Chrome :D

*Any idea on a date of a test build we can try?

I don't want to be negative and sort off break your enthusiasm, but aren't there hundreds or Linux distros already? And, as someone else said before, the only way to get SOME users to switch from Win (or even OSX) is to have good alternatives for the most used apps in the other OS. Right now, there are many Windows apps that simply don't have alternatives on Linux, or they do, but they suck. I'm giving you just one example: Sound Forge. This is by far the best audio editor out there, and it has been for many years, ever since Sonic Foundry was developing it. You can't honestly tell me that Audacity even begins to compare with SF. Again, this is just one example.

Also, I learned that Wine (or its commercial alternatives, Crossover Office & Games) is not really an option. Lots of bugs, limited compatibility, etc.

I totally agree with the Wine Integration, proper, tested wine integration.

Yes, Linux is not Windows, but alot of users are really bored (albeit Windows 7 will have quelled that a little) of windows, and want an alternative, but to be able to take their applications with them.

For this reason I moved to Mac.

While I dearly love OSX, I've always had a bit of a thing with linux, but It was always far too much leg work to get used to (despite knowing far more about Linux than I knew about OSX, I found OSX to have more than sufficient GUI coverage of the underlying mechanics, to get me buy for two entire months before I had to actually touch terminal, with linux, there's always something that needs hacked. Which I guess is cool, but sometimes its nice to be able to choose when to do the hacking).

I guess what I'm getting at, is that it'd be cool to have a linux distro that just worked.. or at least scanned hardware on an existing system to confirm that it won't (Not sure if this has been covered on linux before..)

Also, assuming it'll run on a Mac Mini... put me down for beta testing, it'd be nice to play with linux again :)

And before anyone points it out, yes I know.. OSX is pretty much unix with alot of money put into it.

Sigh, I want to see something original. :( Why does nobody ever put the taskbar in the middle of the screen?

lol ya that would be a intresting change of pace.

Please make it "like plug and play" meaning, after the install, and running thru the start up wizard, it will just work. including video!!! And make is auto connect to windows7 file shares.

Looks sweet! Can't wait to try, got a few things.

* For WINE, I would intergrate it if possible, would help with people switching from Windows, or rely on Windows apps.

* Will this be on a Live CD like other Linux OS's. Would love to use it as a Live CD

* If possible, when finished could you make it like Wubi, so it installs through Windows and can easily be removed

* Is it still based on Ubuntu, I hope it is since Ubuntu to me has the most programs available. Mainly browsers like Chrome :D

*Any idea on a date of a test build we can try?

1. Yes, do to the demand we will be integrating WINE, but most likely under a different name. (ie. "Windows Compatibility", or "Program Compatibility")

2. Most likely.

3. Not sure about that one yet, will keep it in mind though! ;)

4. I think we WILL probably be basing it on a "stripped down" version of Ubuntu.

5. Probably in early August. :)

And make is auto connect to windows7 file shares.

Another good request to make it "different"

Although this is hard on so many scales as the only way to network Windows/Unix based PCs is (AFAIK) thru Samba. The network translation required out of the box to do this and just make it work is worth it if it is the goal of the distro (which isnt the case here)

Another thing, why are you basing this on Ubuntu and not Debian?

Another good request to make it "different"

Although this is hard on so many scales as the only way to network Windows/Unix based PCs is (AFAIK) thru Samba. The network translation required out of the box to do this and just make it work is worth it if it is the goal of the distro (which isnt the case here)

Another thing, why are you basing this on Ubuntu and not Debian?

I guess we could use Debian. We haven't really decided on a base yet, all the builds up to this point were based on Ubuntu, but since Ubuntu is based on Debian, it wouldnt really matter much. I will post a definitive answer once we discuss it! ;)

Does any form of Linux have actual installers yet? Or do you still have to know command line to install alot of software/drivers? And if so, please put that in FusionOS.

That is a really beautiful UI!

How can you claim that this is a beautiful UI, when all we see is a wallpaper, 4 icons and some text and 2 transparent bars? :wacko:

Wow, now THAT looks like a fantastic OS. And it's the sort of system I would like to implement into my business when it comes up to replacing Windows XP.

If you guys ever need two heavy servers for mirrors or project management please let me know, I'd be more than happy to assist with any expertise I have. Drop me a line sometime and we'll discuss things.

Does any form of Linux have actual installers yet? Or do you still have to know command line to install alot of software/drivers? And if so, please put that in FusionOS.

As bluefish already has said, Linux has installers, in the form of GUI package managers.

And package managers are the best way to manage your software. In Windows-World, each software developer has to include installer/uninstaller code. And they aren't all the same. Plus the system has no idea how to update the apps, so any app that you want to update has to also include their own "check for updates" code. Many apps don't have that, so will remain un-updated unless the user keeps a list of every application file/dll/etc on their hard drive and checks if new updates are out there.

Trust me, "Windows style installers" is not the direction you want to go.

+1 Installers suck, Package Managers and Drag and Drop installs (mac os x) are the way forward!

As bluefish already has said, Linux has installers, in the form of GUI package managers.

And package managers are the best way to manage your software. In Windows-World, each software developer has to include installer/uninstaller code. And they aren't all the same. Plus the system has no idea how to update the apps, so any app that you want to update has to also include their own "check for updates" code. Many apps don't have that, so will remain un-updated unless the user keeps a list of every application file/dll/etc on their hard drive and checks if new updates are out there.

i love apt-get, but a lot of the windows installer issues could be fixed if every developer used msi based installations ;)

i love apt-get, but a lot of the windows installer issues could be fixed if every developer used msi based installations ;)

How so? People are still going to run into issues when they try and uninstall on Windows as the folder that the installation files are stored are generally wiped with Disc Cleaning apps.

can anyone pm me wallpaper ?

If not OS , i would like to have the wallpaper at least

I will pm you the wallpaper in a bit! You will be able to get the OS at least a preview in August! :)

Wish you all the best with this project

Thanks so much! :)

Wow, now THAT looks like a fantastic OS. And it's the sort of system I would like to implement into my business when it comes up to replacing Windows XP.

If you guys ever need two heavy servers for mirrors or project management please let me know, I'd be more than happy to assist with any expertise I have. Drop me a line sometime and we'll discuss things.

Wow, thanks for the offer! :D It would be nice to have a mirror there, so it wouldnt load down our server too much, because last time I tried that our website was unbearably slow! Couldn't even load a page! I will be sure to PM you so we can discuss this! Thanks! :)

- Keith.

I like the look of this and I hope it goes well!

I would love to see a dark version of the theme as well, just for user choice. Dark with transparency is cool. Even more so, it would be cool if there could be a way of adding a feature like in vista or 7 where you can adjust the color of the UI to your taste simply. I don't know is that is a possibility though.

I like the look of this and I hope it goes well!

I would love to see a dark version of the theme as well, just for user choice. Dark with transparency is cool. Even more so, it would be cool if there could be a way of adding a feature like in vista or 7 where you can adjust the color of the UI to your taste simply. I don't know is that is a possibility though.

I didn't think about that! That's a great idea to have the user be able to change the color! I will see about implementing that! Thanks for the suggestion! And thanks for the UI compliment!

- Keith.

Hey,

A little update! Cosmin is now on the Fusion Team, and so is Glassed Silver. Cosmin is working on a new logo for Fusion, and we are working on a official website for the project. More details to come!

Hey,

A little update! Cosmin is now on the Fusion Team, and so is Glassed Silver. Cosmin is working on a new logo for Fusion, and we are working on a official website for the project. More details to come!

Hey everyone!

Since I am now back home, and settled into my new house Fusion OS development is set to begin expect a LOT more news from all of us on the Fusion Team here VERY soon! Thanks for your support, ideas, and patience!

Thanks,

Keith.