Mafia II

Mafia II for you?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. What version will you be purchasing?

• Collectors edition PS3
    • Collectors edition XBOX360
    • Retail PS3
    • Retail XBOX360
    • I will not be purchasing this title
    • PC

Downloaded..played..loved...feels like a more refined gta...will be a great game for consoles as the controls are simplistic.

I wouldn't call it a refined GTA. The controls and camera weren't any better than GTA.

None the less I enjoyed it alot more than I thought I would.

No it isn't, seen that on most Danish shops as well :)

As for the game, it's really amazing. Graphics are very vibrant, very atmospheric and the engine is very well optimized - Running well over 100FPS Average at most times. Although, it does suffer from

some LOD issues, objects and vehicles being drawn almost right in front of you etc. but I guess that's the trade-off and it's fair. The gameplay itself feels very solid, although, it feels as though some of the

minor things like how you move the camera and the variable throttle control was designed with consoles in mind and then just crowbarred to fit the PC - So it does have a whiff of 'port-job' about it, unfortunately.

Gunplay feels very solid and sounds are good, though, the porting thing comes into play with the cover system which is toggle on / off which is quite annoying and the weird looking blood sprites when you

shoot someone as an indicator almost, also console minded 'features'.

Not too sure on the vehicle handling, does feel like it has weight to it, the cars feel nice and bouncy but sometimes it's all a bit too arcadey despite using "Simulation" as physics.

Looking past all the port-job oddities, the game is a gem and definitely an instant-buy! Feels like a worthy successor to Mafia - I say bring it on (Y)

Mafia2Scr.png

I just played the demo and I couldn't be more sold on it.

I can't wait to pick it up at the end of the month. :cool:

Tried the demo on current rig, and it was rated an E in the test!!! Pretty dire considering I was running at 1280x800 with everything on lowest settigns or off. It said something like average 19FPS and lowest 1FPS :/

FYI Currently using an e8400@3ghz, Win7 Pro x64, 4GB ram and a Nvidia 9800GTX+ (512MB) with latest drivers :( Hopefully the new system will be better :)

wow got an avg of 10.2 fps with all setting on high/on including aa and apex(?) physx on my system:

i7 920(stock)

gtx 480(stock)

6gb 1600mhz ram

8800 gts 512 (PPU)

will try again later with the 8800 disabled in nvcp and see if it helps.

Tried the demo on current rig, and it was rated an E in the test!!! Pretty dire considering I was running at 1280x800 with everything on lowest settigns or off. It said something like average 19FPS and lowest 1FPS :/

FYI Currently using an e8400@3ghz, Win7 Pro x64, 4GB ram and a Nvidia 9800GTX+ (512MB) with latest drivers :( Hopefully the new system will be better :)

Is that in the benchmark, or during gameplay? Because I have almost the same rig as you (except that I have an 5770 1GB instead of the 9800GTX+) and the FPS never dropped below 60 according the the fraps's benchmark, running everything on max (with PhysX off) @ 1920x1080. Can't believe you had those results with everything at low @ that resolution.

well disabling my 8800 lowered my avg fps by .3 abut raised my min to 2.4 from 2.2

will try again later with aa off. will be kinda surprising if this increases fps that much since the 480 tends to handle aa so well in most other games but meh, i can live without it.

I am planning on getting the regular Xbox 360 version, I don't have a gaming rig (nor do I care for PC gaming) but the game looks great.

I am planning on getting the regular Xbox 360 version, I don't have a gaming rig (nor do I care for PC gaming) but the game looks great.

post-26672-12815019482535.jpg

Nuff said :)

Damn I knew it looked better but I didn't think it was that much better. Shouldn't at least one of those consoles be capable of something more closely resembling the PC version, and the PS3 looks horrible.

<snipped>

Nuff said :)

I'll admit that the PC version looks the best, but that is supposed to make me want to get into PC gaming? Or negate my choice in console gaming instead?