just to be clear, anet is fully owned and managed by ncsoft west. gw1 might not have ncsoft people from other games managing it directly, but there's no guarantee that gw2 won't have a different level of involvement from people who have done work on ncsoft game devved in korea.

point of reference here is tabula rasa, and you can do you rown research to see how ncsoft directly meddled in that game, which was devved by an ncsoft west studio, and had a deal with richard garriot to give him complete unilateral control over the game during it's dev time and while it was live. right up until they fired him while he was on vacation and closed the game down, and violated the terms of their contract, wrote posts they signed with his name and so on, which is all in litigation now.

as for anet stuff being used for other ncsoft games, well, i highly doubt it. except for auto assault iirc and tabula rasa, all of ncsoft's other games that were devved in house, were done by their korea studios. which is generally totally new people between the time of lineage 2 and aion. games like dungeon runners and exteel were done with seperate teams on shoe string budgets. i'm not sure who does COH development, obviously work gets done on it. ncsoft korea though, like i said, is pretty much an entirely new team for aion. all the lineage 2 people went to form blue hole studio, which has been devving tera. there was a lawsuit against the blue hole studio devs saying the stole the lineage 3 code, and they were given hefty fines, but dev of tera is unnaffected. the head dev of aion has left ncsoft korea to do new games, since he considers aion to be complete(lolz), and a couple other head guys on the aion team are at other companies.

obviously since anet is based in teh west it will be much better able to deal with the attitudes and demands of western gamers, as opposed to what has happened in aion. and honestly it can't be managed any worse than aion, but i've heard some pretty bad stories about gw management by anet by people who love the game but hate anet.

alot of what i've heard about gw2 sounds good, although there was some confusion at some points about world pvp from people following the game vs what was said about the game by anet. world vs world pvp sound more like a big av battlegorund pvp instance, and might be fun to do(i plan to check it out at different levels myself when i try gw2), but it's not world pvp.

also being able to buy skill unlocks sounds like the antithesis of what gw1 was supposedly about. you were supposed to be able to instantly unlock level 20 pvp toons make you skill choices and be pretty much equal in pvp in terms of math and ability to choose skills. at least that's what alot of people have told me and what i recall from the manual of the trilogy retail box. basically it was sold for a long time as a game you could, if you wanted to, do nothing but pvp in, without ever doing any pve at all. sure you had to buy the expansions and such, but am i reading something wrong or misunderstanding here? were these skill unlocks for irl cash in the store in teh expansions? or did you have to buy the expansion boxes then unlock them through pve if you didn't want ot buy the irl cash unlocks?

You had to buy the expansions and then if you didn't want to spend the time unlocking skills one at a time, which I believe they eventually made it so you could do through pve or pvp then you could pay to unlock the skill packs. I don't recall how exactly the skill unlock for pvp worked because I rarely played it. I mean it makes sense that you would have to buy the expansion to get access to skills that exclusively came in the expansion, right? If you didn't have the time or were impatient then it was entirely your choice to pay to unlock skills after that.

Anyways, as far as all that goes it worked in Guild Wars because the two sections of the game were completely separate. Sure you could buy unlock skills but it didn't give you an advantage over some one in pvp or pve.

Anyways I don't know much about NCsoft's other dev teams I can only go by the experiences I had with them while I was playing GW1 and Aion. And while Aion's management was fairly bad my time (several years) playing GW1 was all in all a really good experience. The Anet CM's continually talked to and listened to the communities when they didn't have considering that we weren't/aren't paying a monthly fee for the game.

Edit: and I just realized I don't really have any point/argument in all of that. :pinch: :wacko: :laugh:

meh posts don't have to be argument. i don't come to forums to argue myself, just to talk games and tech and and chew the fat :p

somewhat off topic: the admin of gw2guru who i am friendly with as she's been a mod at aion source for a long time now got me to sign up at gw2uru and told me the offtopic forum mods were sick of all the forum games in that forum. so i made a silly tl;dr post that was totally offtopic. one of the mods instantly perma banned me and deleted my post. she did unban me, and said my post got moved to the introductions thread, but i couldn't find it.

it's kind of strange, all the curse fan sites except aionsource have hardcore strict moderation that the rules they've posted don't even cover. everytime i've signed up for one(i'm up to 3 of them now i think) my posts get modded pretty much instantly, even if it's a silly thread in the off topic forum asking what if zelda was a girl gets moved to the other games section for some reason and merged with the on going zelda thread.

which is kind of a shame because i prefer fansites over official sites for games these days, as long as they have good traffic, because they have a good mix of people still playing and people who have quit but are watchign the game to see if it gets better and come back.

although if you ever played aion and you have since canceled your account you can still post on aion official forums(just don't bring attention to this fact or you'll get banned)

So i wonder what the hold up is on the revealing of the 5th profession. Going by the previous delays between each new class/profession of 5-6 weeks, the new one should have been today. As it is exactly 6 weeks from the necro posting. And NY Comic Con shouldn't be an excuse cause an anet employee has already confirmed last month(over at gw2guru) that the demo there is another rehash of gamescom. They better not be stretching this out even further, as the games release as a whole has already been delayed enough(i'm even doubting a release in time for gw's 6th bday).

Some Hall of monuments info has arrived for those who have been dying for it.

Hall of Monuments

I'd have rather have had a class update though. As the hall of monuments matters less the further the release gets delayed by class updates being delayed.

Some Hall of monuments info has arrived for those who have been dying for it.

Hall of Monuments

I'd have rather have had a class update though. As the hall of monuments matters less the further the release gets delayed by class updates being delayed.

Well, just think of it this way. The further GW2 gets pushed back, the more time you have to complete more Monuments. :)

Got 11/50 rewards on my first character that I played the least (was a warrior), but it's the only one that I remember the name of. Too much to bother installing the game now to get the rest of the rewards, or checking the names of the rest of my characters :(

Got 11/50 rewards on my first character that I played the least (was a warrior), but it's the only one that I remember the name of. Too much to bother installing the game now to get the rest of the rewards, or checking the names of the rest of my characters :(

How is it too much bother? The game only downloads what it needs when installing and streams the rest as you go further.

It's not like you're downloading 1GB+ of data.

I'm at 24/50 atm, myself. I would be at 25/50 but it's so damn impossible to get any gems at the moment to make some vabbian armor.

The HoM calculator is account wide. meaning it doesn't matter what character name you enter, least or most, it counts everything. Also, the first game isn't that big as a whole or hard to install ya know. As said it downloads as needed, and compared to most games these days GW1 is tiny.

Too much to bother [getting the rest of the rewards] not because of the size of the download (and I always used the "gw.exe -image" trigger, so it's def. more than 1 gigabyte to download), but because I got tired of the game two (if not more) years ago (after squeezing pretty much every bit of fun from all the expansions). Installed it a few months ago just for the old times and to see what changed, and had it uninistalled after only few minutes spent in-game.

And don't get me wrong. The game series is good and I can't wait for GW2, but I just had enough of GW1 (plus it's expansions).

God i hope they keep the paragon, i absolutely loved the mix between buffing and damage in that class.

Paragons returning as the second heavy armor class seems unlikely tbh.

John and Eric Answer Your Items and Loot Questions

And I installed the first game today to try and gain at least four more rewards, but I just couldn't bear the game for more than ten minutes for who knows what reason. After visiting a few areas without doing anything but to open the presents for the third, fourth and fifth birthday that I got while not playing the game on six out of seven of my character (one being a PVP character, created three years ago), I just quit and uninstalled the game.

And no wonder I could only remember the name of my first character (the warrior). Others had stupid ones, because all the good ones were already taken. Like this guy :whistle: :

http://img832.images...96/40186876.jpg

I'm surprised they released the info on the Hall of Monuments so early. Maybe the game really will be out sooner than later, hopefully we'll get some news on a beta by the end of the year.

Anyways, my account is 21/50 and I'm going to try to finish some titles in GW1. One of my cartographer title tracks is at like 99.5% and the other two are both above 90%. I want to try to get to 28 for the Stygian Reaver reward. :woot:

I'm surprised they released the info on the Hall of Monuments so early. Maybe the game really will be out sooner than later, hopefully we'll get some news on a beta by the end of the year.

I dunno, i think that seems kinda unlikely. They'd have to speed up their posting and revealing of various info rather significantly to be ready to speak about a beta in the next 2.5 months. And i really don't think they'll drop key things like class updates to a often as 3 weeks per post. Though i wouldn't mind being wrong.

It's just wishful think and that's all. I've always said we probably shouldn't expect to see it until this time next year at the earliest. Maybe around summer time.

Maybe it's just to drive some sales of the first game. I noticed Eye of the North is up on Steam just recently, previously it was not available and had to be bought separately.

• 3 weeks later...

pcgamer had a cool article on gw2 this month. it was talking mainly about how dungeons will play. apparently every class can rez in battle, end every class has multiple roles which they can switch between on th efly. so a healer isn't limited to focusing on healing, he can dps as well. there is no true tank and so on. sounds great to me as while i play a dps mainly in mmo's, i am sick to death of the holy trinity being the hard rule, especially how players feel gimped in pvp because they are specced tank or something.

every dungeon run will get you at least one gear token, which you can trade in for a piece of gear you can actually use. every player in teh group gets at least one on every run, which imho is a move forward from wow's dungeon loot pinata based on RNG loot tables. every dungeon has it's own set, and every level range has it's own dungeon.

dungeons change depending on how many time you've done them and which related quest lines you've completed by running them. th efirst run is a story based run, then the second one branches out from there. bosses will not be the same from run to run, dead bosses stay dead. while this sounds cool i wonder how it will affect grouping as in my buddy ran it once already but it's my first run, will i miss out or will my buddy have to run the same set up again? dungeons won't be randomized, but there will be a set of changes depending on quest completion.

all of this makes me interested in dungeons again since i rage quit them forever in wow tbc after too many fail druid tanks wiping us on trash and never seeming to get the one piece of loot i was in the dungeon for. while making wow's token system seem grindy(well even more grindy).

still i'd like to see more info for progressing through the world vs world pvp map, or if that's even possible. if it is i might just progress my first toon solely through world vs world, or at least as much as possible, depending on what my friends want to do. although i'm a pvper for the sake of pvp and no reward is needed type player, it would be great to have multi level large scale but small group objective driven pvp which makes me imagine the next step or two from wow's av map.

ofc if you haven';t noticed it seems you get a full bar of skills from day one, and in terms of progress you simply get more options both in terms of longer terms strategy(what weapons am i going to equip to day) and in terms of what you want to switch between on the fly in combat itself. seems interesting to a 20 skills on my bars that are hotkeyed plus clickable skills strategically placed using a custom ui unitframes mod in wow type of player(me). i'll have to think of how to hotkey my n52 to switch bars quickly and smartly.

All that pcgamer stuff was known at the end of september when the same info was in the uk edition(which came a couple weeks before the US) and then posted by someone on gw2guru shortly after. And aside from the couple dungeon bits, it contained nothing we didn't already know(such as class roles not being the typical mmo standard).

Anyway... I hope they'll stop the recent slacking on the new info postings sometime soon. As we haven't had anything really new since the HoM, just reiterations of what we already knew at various places. And we're also 3.5 weeks LATE on a class reveal. With the latter doing very little to keep my faith in arenanet's ability to get this game out next year(as this feels like an indirect way of saying "we're delaying the release further").

sorry about that... have;t been really keeping up on the game for the most part. but it seemed interested.

i'm not worried about them delaying. imho i'd rather them delay then release a half assed product.

pcgamer had a cool article on gw2 this month. it was talking mainly about how dungeons will play. apparently every class can rez in battle, end every class has multiple roles which they can switch between on th efly. so a healer isn't limited to focusing on healing, he can dps as well. there is no true tank and so on. sounds great to me as while i play a dps mainly in mmo's, i am sick to death of the holy trinity being the hard rule, especially how players feel gimped in pvp because they are specced tank or something.

every dungeon run will get you at least one gear token, which you can trade in for a piece of gear you can actually use. every player in teh group gets at least one on every run, which imho is a move forward from wow's dungeon loot pinata based on RNG loot tables. every dungeon has it's own set, and every level range has it's own dungeon.

dungeons change depending on how many time you've done them and which related quest lines you've completed by running them. th efirst run is a story based run, then the second one branches out from there. bosses will not be the same from run to run, dead bosses stay dead. while this sounds cool i wonder how it will affect grouping as in my buddy ran it once already but it's my first run, will i miss out or will my buddy have to run the same set up again? dungeons won't be randomized, but there will be a set of changes depending on quest completion.

all of this makes me interested in dungeons again since i rage quit them forever in wow tbc after too many fail druid tanks wiping us on trash and never seeming to get the one piece of loot i was in the dungeon for. while making wow's token system seem grindy(well even more grindy).

still i'd like to see more info for progressing through the world vs world pvp map, or if that's even possible. if it is i might just progress my first toon solely through world vs world, or at least as much as possible, depending on what my friends want to do. although i'm a pvper for the sake of pvp and no reward is needed type player, it would be great to have multi level large scale but small group objective driven pvp which makes me imagine the next step or two from wow's av map.

ofc if you haven';t noticed it seems you get a full bar of skills from day one, and in terms of progress you simply get more options both in terms of longer terms strategy(what weapons am i going to equip to day) and in terms of what you want to switch between on the fly in combat itself. seems interesting to a 20 skills on my bars that are hotkeyed plus clickable skills strategically placed using a custom ui unitframes mod in wow type of player(me). i'll have to think of how to hotkey my n52 to switch bars quickly and smartly.

There's not supposed to be a dedicated healing class in the game. Not the type we're used to think of as a healing class anyways. I remember hearing in one video for another "no monk class". I love this idea because it will help us to not have to sit around in an outpost for hours on end waiting for a rare monk that needs to do what the group is doing.

I'm wondering if there will be heroes and henchmen in the game? I think not because they've said most content's difficulty will dynamically scale to the number of people that are participating. Which is another awesome idea, too, if it works as it should.

There's not supposed to be a dedicated healing class in the game. Not the type were used to think of as a healing class anyways. I remember hearing in one video for another "no monk class". I love this idea because it will help us to not have to sit around in an outpost for hours on end waiting for a rare monk that needs to do what the group is doing.

I loved playing Monk because I could always find a group really easy. I won't toot my own horn but I rocked Monk :laugh:

But when I played other classes, I with the rest of my group would often have to sit about waiting for a Monk until one of us (usually me) decided to 'take one for the team' and switch to our monk.

So although I loved playing Monk I'm actually really happy that they have taken it out of the game as a specific class and are instead giving the other classes healing abilities as a secondary skillset. This will definitely help the game flow much easier. I'm sure we've all been there where you and a group are killing mission after mission together then the monk leaves the group and you wait around for ages finding a new one before everyone calls it quits ending a really good gaming session prematurely. That will be a thing of the past :cool:

I'm wondering if there will be heroes and henchmen in the game? I think not because they've said most content's difficulty will dynamically scale to the number of people that are participating. Which is another awesome idea, too, if it works as it should.

Nope. It was mentioned in one of the many interviews(can't remember which one exactly) that heroes/henchmen are gone. I'd have trouble seeing them fit into a persistent world anyway.

but there will be npc's in the world and such that will fight along side you in a quest area or a dungeon.

oh another thing, you won't have to actually make groups to help each other out with quests and stuff. like if two people are not grouped up and doing the same quest at the same time, unlike other mmo's where you woul dbe fighting each other for first hit on mobs, in gw2, you both get the drop from the mob you helped each other kill.

as well gathering node timers aren't global, so you don't have to race other players to the node or feel like a bitch because you cleared the mobs around a node and then some other player ran in and used it. node timers are player based so if you use up a node, it will still be there for everyone else.