Separating the platforms wont really matter if the dumbing down required for the console version seeps into the pc version, and it most likely will.

It may, or may not, since the PC version comes out first I don't expect they will change the PC interface to match the console that comes out much later

Given the type of game, I suspect they wont because it would cause a lot of the playerbase to leave, which is not what they want with the microtransaction they'll have

You people really are negative.

They are producing the game for PC first and foremost. They have a small team working on the console version. PC is their main platform, and they are making it specifically for PC and porting it to the console (if they ever get that far) - they will not be doing it the other way around and therefore limiting the PC version.

I hate fans sometimes. Such idiots.

Separating the platforms wont really matter if the dumbing down required for the console version seeps into the pc version, and it most likely will.

No it won't. They specifically said that they were primarily developing a PC MMORPG and that all their focus was on the PC. The console port is just that : a port.

I think a lot of people forget how Guild Wars was played... You didn't need a bunch of buttons, so making it work for consoles wouldn't be hard. You had like 8 spells you could cast... Basically going to be the same with GW2. It could be done and translate over very well.

If the PC version is near ready for beta, then im prone to think that they would then take the finished pc version and consol-ize it.

Seens how its PC and im assuming being ported to console.

If the PC version is near ready for beta, then im prone to think that they would then take the finished pc version and consol-ize it.

Seens how its PC and im assuming being ported to console.

It's been considered beta since December, not near beta.

I couldn't care less if consoles get Guild Wars 2 as long as I don't have to deal with xbox 360 brats on the pc version. I don't think there is any need for us to worry about the pc version being dumbed down to suit the consoles though.

It's been considered beta since December, not near beta.

I couldn't care less if consoles get Guild Wars 2 as long as I don't have to deal with xbox 360 brats on the pc version. I don't think there is any need for us to worry about the pc version being dumbed down to suit the consoles though.

If you have played HoN or LoL, you will know that the PC crowd is just as bad. I don't think there is any actually online gaming community that is good by any standard :p

If you have played HoN or LoL, you will know that the PC crowd is just as bad. I don't think there is any actually online gaming community that is good by any standard :p

Oh I know that, believe me. I guess I should have just said the fewer immature brats I have to deal with in my gaming environments the better, be they console brats or any other. It's entirely feasible that they would combine the pc and console communities with this sort of game considering it does not rely on twitch reflexes to do well. At least not to the extent that fps games do.

Oh I know that, believe me. I guess I should have just said the fewer immature brats I have to deal with in my gaming environments the better, be they console brats or any other. It's entirely feasible that they would combine the pc and console communities with this sort of game considering it does not rely on twitch reflexes to do well. At least not to the extent that fps games do.

From what I played of it when I was at the studio, it could easily be done on console.... Now if it will look as good as it does on the PC, I highly doubt that. I could see PS3 getting cross platform play, but not on Xbox. We will just have to wait and see though. Either way, I'm waiting for my free pc copy :)

We don't know yet which generation of consoles they are porting for. Is it this generation, the next generation or both?

Next gen wont be out for at least another 2 years. I doubt they will wait that long to release it.

The problem with consoles isn't hotkeys but targeting. A mouse is such an awesome targeting device, game pads don't even come close. Just imagine yourself strafing and dropping a ground-targeted AoE spell on the run 20 yards away from you while still having to manage the camera angle and jump obstacles (this is not an exaggerated scenario, it's pretty common to have to do this if you're a kiting class doing PvP). I just can't see it done with a game pad without flagging yourself as a free kill for anyone using a keyboard/mouse combo.

Yes, the mouse is awesome for targeting but in GW1 I never, ever use the mouse for targeting unless I'm playing with one hand - it's c or tab. That's because the camera swings around quite a bit in Guild Wars and there are often bunches of enemies together that make targeting the right one with the fat GW1 cursor quite hard.

I suspect that with more action orientated combat that the keyboard will retain it's place as the main targeting tool - which then means that it shouldn't be too hard to bind that to a controller.

Of course, they could always use the voice control that kinect offers.

Yes, the mouse is awesome for targeting but in GW1 I never, ever use the mouse for targeting unless I'm playing with one hand - it's c or tab. That's because the camera swings around quite a bit in Guild Wars and there are often bunches of enemies together that make targeting the right one with the fat GW1 cursor quite hard.

I suspect that with more action orientated combat that the keyboard will retain it's place as the main targeting tool - which then means that it shouldn't be too hard to bind that to a controller.

Of course, they could always use the voice control that kinect offers.

I agree with that. I always used tab or c to switch between targets in GW1. Same goes for any mmo I've ever played. Of course there are skills that require you to target the ground and not a specific thing. I suppose for consoles they would have to make a button specifically for cycling through targets.

Maybe if some people were interested, we could form a guild in GW1 and do monument tasks. I would probably be interested in doing that the closer we get to GW2's release. I'm still 30/50, all I've got left to unlock is titles though.

And then maybe carrying that guild over to GW2. Though I'm pretty sure GW2 has servers though instead of channels like GW1, so I don't know how that will work for people in different countries.

Mouse targeting in mmo's is very useful actually. Especially if you do any healing(which i often do in mmo's). In gw1 it would be for clicking who i need to heal in the party box. And in WoW, due to the greatness that was macros, i'd just mouse over who i'd need to heal(either the model or in the raid frames) and use my keybind(a method infinitely faster than healing in gw1). Good luck at actually healing anything other than yourself before it dies without a mouse.

Next gen wont be out for at least another 2 years. I doubt they will wait that long to release it.

For all we know Nintendo could very well(and probably will) start the next generation this year.

Anyway, moving on from those crazy people who think a console port would work and that console ports never have negative effects on games of pc origins..

We have more info on WvW PVP.

http://www.arena.net...-world-vs-world

The game is being designed for PC. The whole mantra is to make the best PC game they can possibly make. I can see no logical way in which developing a console version after the PC game has been released would have a negative impact on the PC version. It just won't. They are not being designed simultaneously and the PC version is the priority. It's not like a Joe Bloggs console game where they have to limit textures, FOV, features and whatnot because their priority is the console, and then rush porting it to a PC platform.

Anyway - What Blackhearted said about mouse targeting for healing is null and void in this case, as there is no dedicated healing. The only way in which the mouse will probably be used for targeting in GW2 is to place area of effect skills - but then only the cursor will be used as the skill can be activated (step 1) and then cast (step 2) by pressing the skill button.

Anyway, moving on from those crazy people who think a console port would work and that console ports never have negative effects on games of pc origins..

We have more info on WvW PVP.

http://www.arena.net...-world-vs-world

The WvW sounds absolutely awesome. It sounds like Aions abyss, only not required to progress through the game. I think I will be spending a great deal of time pvping.

The game is being designed for PC. The whole mantra is to make the best PC game they can possibly make. I can see no logical way in which developing a console version after the PC game has been released would have a negative impact on the PC version. It just won't. They are not being designed simultaneously and the PC version is the priority. It's not like a Joe Bloggs console game where they have to limit textures, FOV, features and whatnot because their priority is the console, and then rush porting it to a PC platform.

Anyway - What Blackhearted said about mouse targeting for healing is null and void in this case, as there is no dedicated healing. The only way in which the mouse will probably be used for targeting in GW2 is to place area of effect skills - but then only the cursor will be used as the skill can be activated (step 1) and then cast (step 2) by pressing the skill button.

It could have a negative impact on the pc if the control scheme for consoles isn't up to par with m&k. That is if they let all versions play together. In that situation it would be very frustrating for the console players.

Then again, up to this point anyone who was interested in GW2 was going to get it for the pc anyways so I think it's pointless to even talk about right now.

No dedicated healing class != no healing skills and no need for healing whatsoever. Healing(aside from your self-heal) will still be there to some degree, regardless of how targeting is handled.

But they have said it won't be done by clicking on your ally's bar and then casting a spell - it will be targeted either at an enemy or with an area of effect skill like mentioned above - so I think the majority of people would be doing that with keyboard shortcuts and not much use of the mouse.

Guild Wrs 2 demo signup is now available! GuildWars2.com

I knew nothing about Guild Wars, and then I saw a video on Youtube about "10 Reasons to be excited about Guild Wars 2", and now I cannot wait, seriously this is the first MMO I've been excited about since WoW.