• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

WickedLasers Unveils "Lightsaber" Powerful Enough to Set People

Sparrowmonk    3

I want one, that's all I am going to say!

It goes without saying that this product is not safe for children

With recent advances in lasers, many have fantasized about creating "real life lightsabers". Many military commanders have fantasized about creating portable blasters along the lines of those portrayed in fictional workers like Star Trek and Star Wars. The Spyder III Pro Arctic laser from WickedLasers can be seen perhaps as the culmination of those efforts and perhaps the first consumer laser weapon.

The laser is built with a diode from Casio's new mercury-free Green Slim projectors which ironically have a somewhat blue tint. The laser is rated at 1 watt of power and retails for a mere $200 USD.

http://www.dailytech.com/WickedLasers+Unveils+Lightsaber+Powerful+Enough+to+Set+People+on+Fire/article18681.htm

Conjor    40

Although this is very cool, something like this could be as dangerous as a firearm.

Just think about it - anyone with 200 bucks laying around can go and get one of these things. With it, they can light peoples personal affects on fire - not to mention the person themselves (even from a distance); permanently blind someone at a whim (again from a distance); and who knows what else - watch a Star Wars movie for more ideas.

(in Yoda voice) Put regulations in place to stop abuse, the government should. Yeesssssss.

micro    109

This is a joke. I used to sell lasers for many years. It makes me sick when a company like this just wildly disregards any form of safety sense and allows just about anyone to purchase this product. Do you know what kind of qualifications you need to have to be able to LEGALLY have a class IV laser!???

It takes a long time just to be certified for class 3B, let alone class IV...

Just the use of this laser within any enclosed area will cause irreparable eye damage, no need for directional pointing to be blinded, you can point this at a wall and that is IT.

I have no idea why this company is still in business. Lasers like this should NEVER EVER be sold to the public, especially with the tags "burns x balloons and matches within x time".

/end of rant.

• Like 2

+Fulcrum    201

I'm gonna skip the stuff where I praise this being awesome and great and whatever, but It begs the question, what practical uses does it serve outside of the military or some kind of specialized lab? If it's so damn dangerous, then just turning it on indoors could start a fire or worse, blind me. Even worse by what micro says. I guess SW Fans need to keep waiting.

Conjor    40

I find it interesting that their site is hosted in the US, yet they are based in Japan.

I guess basing their company in Japan lets them avoid some of the regulatory issues that a company based in the states would have.

Which also will make it a problem for the government to do any sort of regulating with this product (and others from WickedLasers)

Scary...

Shock Doc    8

You turn it on outside, blind a pilot, plane crashes...

exotoxic    686

It goes without saying that this product is not safe for children

or adults.. what a stupid thing to be selling (N) You can just imagine some co*k getting a hold of one and driving round blinding and burning people for "fun" :angry:

KaneHusky    13

I think that thing is really cool but by no means should anyone without proper training and licensing be allowed to touch such a powerful and dangerous device. :blink:

James812    12

Should not be a commercial product. Period.

primexx    372

according to the classifications anything above 5mW can blind you instantly, which is anything that can reflect 0.5% of the light... like a wall. I can't imagine what the point of even making it available is since you basically can't turn it on anywhere without blinding someone.

Konstanov    58

I have $200 somewhere around here, and the hot air balloon festival is coming up.

spenser.d    1,100

Umm...

Do Want.

Razorwing    640

hmmm.. it's not possible. you can't build a lightsaber.. it's been proven somewhere. :blink:

carmatic    54

i've heard that the Casio projector which this laser comes from wasnt very good, it has a interesting concept like using the blue straight from the laser, getting green by shining the laser at a phosphor, and using red led's .... the problem was that the phosphor green they used had too much of a blue colour in it

Lazure    52

Why would a laser blind you if you're not looking at it? does it give off some kinda radiation or something?

carmatic    54

Why would a laser blind you if you're not looking at it? does it give off some kinda radiation or something?

if you point at something reflective and you are looking at the reflective thing

primexx    372

no radiation, but reflections of strong lasers are still strong enough to blind you if you look at those.

Pharos    24

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety#Class_4

Class 4

LASER RADIATION

AVOID EYE OR SKIN EXPOSURE TO

DIRECT OR SCATTERED RADIATION

CLASS 4 LASER PRODUCT

Class 4 lasers include all lasers with beam power greater than class 3B. By definition, a class-4 laser can burn the skin, in addition to potentially devastating and permanent eye damage as a result of direct or diffuse beam viewing. These lasers may ignite combustible materials, and thus may represent a fire risk. Class 4 lasers must be equipped with a key switch and a safety interlock. Most entertainment, industrial, scientific, military, and medical lasers are in this category.

Alan-    11

or adults.. what a stupid thing to be selling (N) You can just imagine some co*k getting a hold of one and driving round blinding and burning people for "fun" :angry:

You mean like people already do with simple laser pointers. realmad.gif

carmatic    54

the strange thing is that the reviews of that Casio projector where the laser comes from actuallly say that the blue (from the laser) isnt strong enough, along with the red from the LED's ... they complained that the green from the phospor is excessive, as well as being too bluish

micro    109

Im interested in knowing how they pulled off 1watt with a mere 3.7v pulling 1a..

Growled    3,880

It may be foolish but I want one.

• Like 1

Tailwind    329

I totally agree that this should not be sold anywhere - can you imagine what'd happen if some idiots got hold of it? :huh:

iamwhoiam    69

I think I may try to get one and see if it gets through customs.

thornz0    1

I want one of these just to have...but I'm not responsible enough. I wish it was a little safer with the same level or woah damn that's badass.