WickedLasers Unveils "Lightsaber" Powerful Enough to Set People

I find it interesting that their site is hosted in the US, yet they are based in Japan.

The company is in China... which is even more scary (no offense). Buy a laser, have it break, blind/inflame everyone around you :no:

That's one scary thought right there knowing that there could be people running around with something like this in their hands.

hmmm.. it's not possible. you can't build a lightsaber.. it's been proven somewhere. :blink:

its also been proven you can, just not using a laser, you use plasma instead.

Im pretty sure anything over 5MW is illegal in the USA.

you all make it sound like its not easy to get a laser pen then burns stuff as it is. all you need is $60-70. get a laser pen and a DVD burner.

The company is in China... which is even more scary (no offense). Buy a laser, have it break, blind/inflame everyone around you :no:

how is it going to blind you if it breaks?

It is my full intent to purchase one of these, along with a pair weilding goggles and then terrorize every funpark with a mirror maze in the land!

have fun burning your self also...

I will get one of these one day. but will get some actual saftey goggles.

also its 500mW not 1W. please get it correct, there is a MASSIVE diffrence between 1W and 500mW

they also sell the laser pen with goggles.

also its 500mW not 1W. please get it correct, there is a MASSIVE diffrence between 1W and 500mW

I'll get a reflective suit to counter that little problem. If not then it''ll still be worth it....

Disclaimer: To every paranoid jackasss that may read this, I'm only kidding!

It is not illegal for them to sell the laser as they are adhering to the guidelines (labels, warnings aperture shutter and key lock etc..), it is however illegal to operate such a laser without proper variance. And anything class 3b or greater is illegal in the states without variance.

Where did you see it listed at 500mW?

As far as i can see we know it to be >500mW<=1W.

They could very well be classifying the laser based off of peak output which could mean it only puts out 501mW for all of 1.23 seconds and then slops down to a nominal rating of ~430mW. Or it could peak at 1000 and slope down, we dont know.

Where did you see it listed at 500mW?

As far as i can see we know it to be >500mW<=1W.

They could very well be classifying the laser based off of peak output which could mean it only puts out 501mW for all of 1.23 seconds and then slops down to a nominal rating of ~430mW. Or it could peak at 1000 and slope down, we dont know.

was looking at wrong laser sorry. its a 1W

You guys are missing the point seriously.

At no point does it mention the power source? the batteries are likely as rare as a goverment tax reduction and probably depletes in about the same time as it takes for you to down your first beer after a long hard week at work.

At no point does it mention the power source? the batteries are likely as rare as a goverment tax reduction and probably depletes in about the same time as it takes for you to down your first beer after a long hard week at work.

http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/Spyder_III_Pro_Arctic_Series-96-37.html

please actually spend over 5 seconds to look.

you can even look at the laser for .25 seconds from 211 meters away without going blind!

The website says the battery is Lithium-Ion and that it lasts about two hours.

http://www.all-battery.com/browseproducts/One--4-3-AF-%2818650-Size%29-4200-mAh-high-capacity-NiMH-battery.HTML

that is the battery used by the unit.

The real point is that the only people that should be using these devices are people who have variance to use a class IV laser. I will tell you that there aren't many people who need that classification. And nearly NO one will get that classification for use on a hand held variation of that class of laser.

Also for anyone who decides to purchase this and can somehow use it in a "safe manor" be advised that even small exposure to intense blue light causes photochemical retinal degeneration. Basically you wont be able to see the color green again..

http://www.all-battery.com/browseproducts/One--4-3-AF-%2818650-Size%29-4200-mAh-high-capacity-NiMH-battery.HTML

that is the battery used by the unit.

The real point is that the only people that should be using these devices are people who have variance to use a class IV laser. I will tell you that there aren't many people who need that classification. And nearly NO one will get that classification for use on a hand held variation of that class of laser.

Also for anyone who decides to purchase this and can somehow use it in a "safe manor" be advised that even small exposure to intense blue light causes photochemical retinal degeneration. Basically you wont be able to see the color green again..

thats what the goggles they give you free are for?

My inner child / initial reaction was :woot: followed by a :rofl: then I thought about how severely unsafe this is and it quickly turned to a :unsure: :no: as I though about my dumb friends ever wielding one of these and how there are people even worse then them.

Like my smiley face illustrated reasoning? lol

thats what the goggles they give you free are for?

Those glasses block most of the 440nm light from penetrating your eye.. So that really bright laser you bought *LOOKS like it is 3mw instead of 1W. So instead of wasting your money (And your eyes) just buy a 3mw blue laser and skip the glasses.

It's really scary that something like that could even get on the market... Unless everyone around the idiot that purchases this has to sign that release, this company is just foolish...

I'm gonna skip the stuff where I praise this being awesome and great and whatever, but It begs the question, what practical uses does it serve outside of the military or some kind of specialized lab? If it's so damn dangerous, then just turning it on indoors could start a fire or worse, blind me. Even worse by what micro says. I guess SW Fans need to keep waiting.

Well.. a more accurate "Star Wars Kid" video perhaps?

Well.. a more accurate "Star Wars Kid" video perhaps?

I think I may buy one of these to carry instead of my conceal carry! What better self defense tool than to let the robber live for the rest of his life permanently blind instead of killing them?.

I may have found what I will buy with my graduation money, screw that 100mw green laser I bought last week

Though seriously that really dangerous, I do consider buying it, but nobody will be allowed to use, esp not people I hang out with. knowing them they will trying and light birds on fire as they fly past.