[Official] Mafia II

Header.png

About.png

From the developers of the award-winning Mafia comes Mafia II, a beautifully crafted look into the dark and the unforgiving world of the Mafia. Expanding upon the original hit that captivated more than 2 million gamers

around the world, 2K Czech takes players deeper into the Mafia with a mature and exciting experience that will immerse players like never before. Powered by 2K Czech's next-generation engine built specifically for Mafia II, the

player will experience the true evolution of the Mafia game that defined the genre. Gunfights, hand-to-hand combat and vehicular exploration feature new depth and dimension that allow players to experience the world of Mafia II in a way

that will keep them coming back for more.

- Immersive Gangster Experience: Through strong, authentic characterization, compelling narrative and stunning presentation, the mature storyline will make players understand the pull and impossible life in the Mafia.

- Illusion Engine™: 2K Czech's proprietary Illusion Engine, allows gamers to explore Empire Bay's 10 Square miles while transitioning from beautifully rendered outdoor environments to intricately designed interiors seamlessly

without the need for loading times.

- Authentic Portrayal of Mid-20th Century America: Experience an epic story set across two decades where the clothing, cars and advertising are meticulously created to replicate the feel of a '40s and '50s American city;

as players progress through the eras of the city and its elements will change to reflect the time period.

- Soundtrack Reflects the Mood of the Era: Players will be immersed in the Golden Era of America as Mafia II features tracks from some of the era's most influential artists.

- Steamworks: achievements and leaderboards included!

New Features:

- There are over 120 licensed songs split between both eras and over 3 hours of original composed music.

- There are about 50 different vehicles between both eras and can get dirty, suffer damage and run out of gas.

- The AI has been improved, so the pedestrians will smoke, read newspapers, buy clothes, and wait for buses, while homeless people will search through garbage bins.

- The player will own their own customizable car that can even be customized with a personal license plate. Three vehicles can be stored in Vito's garage.

- Since such heavy emphasis has been placed on your own personal ride, the ability to utilize public transportation has been taken out. Vito may still ride in a cab for mission or two though.

- Vehicles will play a major role in Mafia II.

- Vito can buy various foods and drinks in restaurants scattered about the city.

- Vito can also vandalize those restaurants and any other stores and the cops will be called. If you return to the scene of the crime you'll see police tape and the clerk or witnesses telling the officer your description based on what clothes you were wearing.

- Cops only radio for reinforcements if you committed a large enough crime. New and multiple strategies to deceive them.

- The police can chase other criminals instead of just you, and therefore it will contribute to their new, greater leniency.

- There are 15 main missions and some interwoven, voluntary sub-missions.

- New and improved checkpoints.

- The story may vary depending on how the player chooses to progress throughout the game.

- In missions with a car, Joe often rides with you and he'll sometimes be driving. Drive by shooting has been completely taken out. Joe will shoot out of the window when you're driving and you may be able to return the favor when he's driving.

- There are multiple gangs who have their territories in the different districts of Empire Bay.

- There are two types of context-sensitive environment interactions: A "standard" action and a "violent" action.

- Vito can steal a car by smashing the window, lockpicking, or carjacking

- Objects in the environment e.g. bottles, chairs, etc. will be interactive, in both standard and violent contexts.

- The game features over 200 hand-to-hand animations, as well as using the environment as an integral part of that combat.

- A cover system will be incorporated.

- Cover positions are used and can be destroyed.

- Graphically, violence will take a less 'gory', more realistic approach (i.e. bullet wounds, blood stains/ splatters.)

- Many guns from the first game are back (i.e. Thompson M1928, Colt 1911, pump-shotgun) but the 50's will bring about more modern firearms.

- There is no auto-aim, but there will be a slight aim-correction.

- There is very little indication of your health; the HUD can be switched on and off, the contents of the HUD can also be altered.

- Health regenerates slowly, faster when taking cover, even faster when eating food.

- Includes over 50 collectible Vintage Playboy Centerfolds.

The game will contain two hours of in-game cutscenes. The original game, Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven, had a screenplay of 400 pages, opposed to the 700 pages of the sequel. Daniel Vávra, the writer and director of the original and the sequel, discussed the new angle of the game stating: "The old game was a tribute to gangster films, a romantic vision. Mafia II is grittier, real, a darker world, and the effects are based in reality." Official PlayStation Magazine states: "A high body count is still promised in this tale set in a fictional city 'inspired by' New York of the 1940s and '50s, but those casualties will come the hard way -- through small-scale operations rather than mass firefights."

Story.png

"Born the son of a poor immigrant, Vito is a beaten down Italian American who is trying to escape the life of poverty that consumed his childhood. It was on the streets that Vito learns that joining the Mafia is the only route to

wealth and respect for people of his standing. Wanting to escape the life of hardship that his father led, he dreams about becoming a "Made Man." A petty criminal his whole life, Vito, along with his childhood friend, Joe, will

descend into the world of organized crime. Together, they will work to prove themselves to the Mafia as they try to make their names on the streets. Starting with low-level jobs like robbery and stealing cars,

Vito and Joe escalate quickly up the Mafia family ladder ... but the life as a wise isn't quite as glamorous as it seems."

Mafia II is a gritty drama which chronicles the rise of World War II Veteran Vito Scaletta, the son of Sicilian immigrants. As the game progresses, Vito will join a crime family and become a made man.

The story begins with the player character Vito returning home on leave from World War II. Vito had joined the U.S. military as a way of avoiding jail time for a botched robbery. He then discovers that his father died and left his family $2000 in debt. Vito reunites with his old friend, Joe Barbaro, and the two quickly embark upon a life of crime. Their criminal ascension starts with Mikey, a car mechanic who gets in a conflict with Joe.

Mikey also needs a certain type of car to chop for parts, and will pay $400 for one that the police are not tailing. Soon enough, Vito, Joe, and Henry Tomasino (already a made man in the Clemente family) find themselves battling with, for, against, and around three crime factions: the Falcone, Vinci and Clemente families. The player is later introduced to Eddie Scarpa (a capo in the Falcone crime family). Another character is Marty, a young, novice getaway driver who takes Vito and Joe to the Empire Arms hotel in the mission "Room Service" involving the assassination of the Clemente family's don.

Media.png

screenshot_pc_mafia_ii131.jpg

screenshot_pc_mafia_ii120.jpg

screenshot_pc_mafia_ii106.jpg

screenshot_pc_mafia_ii072.jpg

screenshot_pc_mafia_ii128.jpg

View more screenshots: IGN, TeamXbox, ShackNews, Google Search.

View more videos: GameTrailers

Demo.png

The demo sees you in a level called “Buzzsaw”, which takes place during “the summer of the 50s.” Joe and Henry are to take out a mob boss called “The Fat Man”. The level you play is unique to the demo,

so you will not replay it in the retail release nor does it contain any spoilers.

Xbox 360:

Content: Mafia II Playable Demo

Price: Free

Availability: All Xbox LIVE regions

Dash Text: Vito has started to make a name for himself on the streets of Empire Bay, someone who can be trusted to get a job done. In this hot-leaded playable demo, you and Joe get one of your first serious assignments, to deal with a chump that isn’t playing ball the way the Mob likes it. Make a Man of yourself in Mafia II.

Add to your 360 download queue!

PC:

The demo is only available through Steam, once steam is open browse to this page ( The Mafia II Pre-order page ) and click "Download Demo" or alternatively,

browse to this page ( Demos page ) and you will find it at the very top ( time of writing ).

PS3:

You can find the demo in the Playstation Store.

SysReq.png

Minimum System Requirements

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.0 GHz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+

Memory: 1.5 Gb

Hard Drive: 8 Gb free

Video Memory: 512 Mb

Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8600 / ATI Radeon HD 2600

Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

DirectX: 9.0c

Keyboard

Mouse

DVD Rom Drive

Recommended System Requirements

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.5 Ghz / AMD Phenom X4 @ 2.5 Ghz

Memory: 2 Gb

Hard Drive: 10 Gb free

Video Memory: 1 Gb

Video Card: nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX / ATI Radeon HD 3870

Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

DirectX: 9.0c

Keyboard

Mouse

DVD Rom Drive

PHSYX/APEX ENHANCEMENTS SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP (SP2 or later) / Windows Vista / Windows 7 Minimum Processor: 2.4 GHz Quad Core processor

Recommended Processor: 2.66 GHz Core i7-920 RAM: 2 GB

Video Cards and resolution: APEX medium settings

Minimum: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 (or better) for Graphics and a dedicated NVIDIA 9800GTX (or better) for PhysX

Recommended: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 (or better)

Video Cards and resolution: APEX High settings

Minimum: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 (or better) and a dedicated NVIDIA 9800GTX (or better) for PhysX

Recommended: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 for Graphics and a dedicated NVIDIA GTX 285 (or better) for PhysX NVIDIA GPU driver: 197.13 or later.

NVIDIA PhysX driver: 10.04.02_9.10.0522. Included and automatically installed with the game.

Editions.png

Standard Edition:

Standard.png

Contains;

- The Game

- Manual

Bonus Edition / Special Edition:

Bonus.png

Contains;

- The Game

- Manual

- "Made man" pack

- "War Hero" pack

- Will have a cardboard outer 'o-ring' sleeve, possibly with a 'browser flap'

Collector's Edition:

Collect.png

Contains;

- The Game

- Manual

- Art Book

- Soundtrack

- SteelBook case

- Map of Empire City ( "high quality, tear-resistant" )

- "Made Man" pack

Digital Deluxe Edition:

Digital.png

( Steam exclusive pack - http://store.steampowered.com/app/50460/ )

Contains;

- The Game

- "Made man" pack

- Digital Art Book

- Soundtrack ( Download )

- Digital map of Empire City

- Pre-order and get a free copy of Mafia 1

US Pre-order Bonuses:

- GameStop has the "Vegas Pack" featuring Vegas-inspired cars and suits, and a "War Hero Pack" with two military vehicles and uniforms.

- Amazon offers the "Renegade Pack" including '50s-style cars and leather and lettermen's jackets for Vito, so you can live out your Happy Days crime fantasies. You also get a $10 discount on a future game purchase.

- Best Buy has the "Greaser Pack" with two "hot-rod speedsters" and two racing-style outfits.

- Walmart.com is offering a "$10 Gift Card" which will allow you to buy $10 worth of merchandise at Walmart.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've gotta get around to playing the Steam demo today. Obviously, I'm gonna apply the various tweaks before trying it out.

Sethos, do you know how to enable nighttime, the car dynamic damage, and the rain? I've seen how to sort out the PhysX BS and I've got the patch to remove the demo timer, but that's it.

I've gotta get around to playing the Steam demo today. Obviously, I'm gonna apply the various tweaks before trying it out.

Sethos, do you know how to enable nighttime, the car dynamic damage, and the rain? I've seen how to sort out the PhysX BS and I've got the patch to remove the demo timer, but that's it.

Yeah, check this out http://www.mafia.modmywhat.com/article/New-Mafia-2-DevConsole-brings-you-LUA-support--V0-4-/692 and then see the comments for inspiration.

Looks nice (Y)

Wish I had the passion to be bothered making OT for NW any more. The PS3 section is pretty dead though :p

Hopefully GT5 will arouse my interests again laugh.gif

Wish I had the passion to be bothered making OT for NW any more. The PS3 section is pretty dead though :p

Hopefully GT5 will arouse my interests again laugh.gif

It better. You could probably fill up the first page of the thread just with game info! :p

Pre-ordered the Special Edition (the one marked "Bonus Edition" in OP) after playing the demo a few times.

Wasn't paying any attention to this, but now I'm looking forward to it. :)

Pre-ordered the Special Edition (the one marked "Bonus Edition" in OP) after playing the demo a few times.

Wasn't paying any attention to this, but now I'm looking forward to it. :)

Added 'Special Edition' to that title - All those versions are confusing me, I probably got it all wrong :laugh:

i thought DLC will have new missions.

but its just 2 new Clothes +2 new cars.

i think modding community will give better looking cars, real cars :p

Yeah, just based on the Demo, it looks to be a game that will see a lot of modding - Yet another reason to get the PC version!

I also decided to update my Avatar and Signature, I'm so damn hyped for this baby :D

Played the demo on the 360, thought it was very close to GTA, never player the first one so maybe its just that genre. Was good though I enjoyed it, probably wait a while before I buy it, too many games coming out :p

No Collectors Edition for PC in Poland :/ at least for now, PS3 and X360 are available, but no PC.

Even in India Collector's Edition is not yet available for PC but available for X360 and PS3

Even in India Collector's Edition is not yet available for PC but available for X360 and PS3

Yeah I think I'm gonna wait until 23th and if there's still no Collectors Edition I'm gonna order standard version.

I know the Collector's Edition isn't being released in the UK but haven't heard anything about anywhere else - Perhaps ask your local retailer whether they'll be receiving it or not?

I know the Collector's Edition isn't being released in the UK but haven't heard anything about anywhere else - Perhaps ask your local retailer whether they'll be receiving it or not?

Polish distributor has CE listed on its site but it's nowhere to be found (including distributors online shop), biggest online game shop replied that it won't be available in there, some other shops say that it might be available closer to the premiere date so I guess the only thing to do is to wait.

Polish distributor has CE listed on its site but it's nowhere to be found (including distributors online shop), biggest online game shop replied that it won't be available in there, some other shops say that it might be available closer to the premiere date so I guess the only thing to do is to wait.

Now I'm getting uncertain about my CE Pre-order, hopefully the store I ordered at will receive copies ...

For anyone interested in some hybrid benchmarking results:

W7-x64, i7-930 @ 3.8GHz, 6GB-RAM, ATI 5870 + GTS 250, 1920*1080;

This is on highest possible settings, including everything turned ON and PhysX to the max;

Min Max Avg

44 (62) 58.717

55 (62) 59.85

49 (61) 57.817

44 (61) 55.95

48 (62) 58.183

54 (63) 59.717

37 (61) 53.117

Done with fraps throughout the demo.

I didn't want to start a new thread for this. But I'm sure it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Upcoming action game Mafia II traces the experience of a fictitious mobster working his way up the Mafia food chain. To Italian-American service organization UNICO National, however, that experience perpetuates unfair stereotypes.

On Thursday, UNICO president Andre' DiMino demanded that distributor Take Two Interactive "halt" the August 24th release of the game. In a letter to Take Two boss Strauss Zelnick, DiMino called the game "a pile of racist nonsense."

mafia2_300.jpg

"Why would [Take Two] foist a game on their targeted audience of young people wherein they will indoctrinate a new generation into directly associating Italians and Italian Americans with violent, murderous organized crime, to the exclusion of all of the other 'mafias' run by other ethnic and racial groups," he continued. "Take Two is directly, blatantly and unfairly discriminating and demeaning one group to the exclusion of all others. We are demanding they halt release of the game and cleanse it of all references to Italians and Italian Americans."

Considering the entire game is based on the exploits of an Italian immigrant making his way through a massive city run by competing Mafia families, purging the title of its Italian ties is unlikely. And Zelnick certainly isn't backing down.

"Mafia II tells a compelling story about organized crime in America - a subject that for decades has been featured in movies, television shows and novels," he responded in an official statement. "Neither UNICO nor any other organization purporting to represent Italian-Americans has seen or played Mafia II."

He also takes issue with the assertion that Mafia II targets "young people."

"At Take-Two, we balance our right to free expression with what we believe is a thoughtful and responsible approach to creating and marketing our products," he continued. "Mafia II is M-rated in accordance with our industry's strict standards. It is specifically not targeted toward young people."

"We will only release a title that meets our standards: as art, as entertainment and as a socially responsible product. We aim to distinguish creative and compelling story telling that advances artistic expression from subject matter that gratuitously exploits or glorifies violence or stereotypes. I fully and completely stand behind our creative teams and products, including Mafia II."

Mafia II is just the latest media property to incur the wrath of UNICO. DiMino recently called out hit MTV reality show 'Jersey Shore' for using "ethnic slurs, violence and poor behavior to marginalize and stereotype Italian-Americans.?

Likewise, this is hardly Zelnick's first time courting controversy. As the parent company to both 2K Games (Mafia II, Bioshock) and Rockstar Games (Grand Theft Auto, Manhunt, Read Dead Redemption), Take Two has been on the receiving end of more angry letters than just about any company under the sun.

Source

Three words to that guy: get a life.

Why is almost every game that doesn't center around Brits or Americans considered racist now? This is as stupid as the Resident Evil 5 one. "OMG THEY'RE KILLING AFRICANS!!!" It's based in Africa, so what do you expect? Secondly, they're zombies, so they're not technically alive.