[Official] Mafia II

Sounds like this game is very, very similar to Mafia 1 and just goes to show that one of the best games I've ever played doesn't work in the current crappy gaming 'climate'.

Looks like I'm going to be sitting with a permanent erection playing this baby :wub:

It's one of my favourite games ever as well, but just because it is doesn't mean I can't agree evolution in gaming has led to conveniences once "unheard of" in gaming that I now prefer.

Being a dick when it comes to saving doesn't make a game any harder, just more frustrating. Save any time can break a game, but making me do things over and over if it involves repetition of mundane tasks gets on my nerves.

It's one of my favourite games ever as well, but just because it is doesn't mean I can't agree evolution in gaming has led to conveniences once "unheard of" in gaming that I now prefer.

Being a dick when it comes to saving doesn't make a game any harder, just more frustrating.

Isn't about making it harder, is about putting the knife to your throat and up your game. It's the best checkpoint method.

Saving every 3 second and games being easier and more forgiving then your mum' isn't evolution, gaming has taken a massive step back to cater for the masses.

Meh, enjoyment > having to do something long winded over and over (like driving a car for 5 mins whilst listening to the same dialogue I've heard 5 times).

Checkpoints should be fairly frequent IMO if the game lacks save any time.

If you suck you have to do it over and over again ;) The enjoyment is in the extra adrenalin kick knowing failure will frustrate you and then overcoming it.

Checkpoints should be rare as hell <3

( Let's just agree to disagree, shall we (Y) )

If you suck you have to do it over and over again ;) The enjoyment is in the extra adrenalin kick knowing failure will frustrate you and then overcoming it.

Checkpoints should be rare as hell <3

( Let's just agree to disagree, shall we (Y) )

Then my console would be running for 2 hours solid whilst I go pick my GF up in town putting my electricity bill up :p

Then my console would be running for 2 hours solid whilst I go pick my GF up in town putting my electricity bill up :p

Good, that's how gaming should be :p

Isn't about making it harder, is about putting the knife to your throat and up your game. It's the best checkpoint method.

:laugh:

It's a ****ty method of prolonging the game. It's by far the worst checkpoint method.

****ty metod of prolonging a game is making it a sandbox so big that you have to drive 15km just to get some ammo (i. e. Far Cry 2). Hope this isn't the case with Mafia.

"Eurogamer.net ? 4/10

Eurogamer.fr ? 10/10

Eurogamer.it ? 8/10

Eurogamer.cz ? 9/10"

Bit inconsistent :rofl:

Definitely goes to show that either the UK reviewer shouldn't have been the staff member picked for the game, or they did it for page hits.

Probably both.

I decided to acquire an advanced demo of this game before purchase due to the mixed reviews and all I can say is WTF were the poor scores for? The game is really good and definitely worth a purchase - most criticised the basic gunplay but it feels fine to me. Guns have a nice kick, the aiming is smooth and I like the blood spray for hits. Fighting is a bit easy but I can live with that.

What I love most about this game is the driving - a pure pleasure. Music is lush, the graphics are great (not the best I've ever seen but it's as good as GTAIV without the killer system requirements - running it at 1920x1080 with all on high, 2x aa and 2x anis with physx high gave steady 35-45fps) and the sound effects are excellent. It really captures the 40's.

A few graphical glitches with ingame graphics cut scenes but nothing major.

8 out of 10 for me :)

weird that eurogamer gave it a 4 but it the background of the website there's a Mafia 2 wallpaper commercial.. You'd think the advertising people would have a saying in that matter like every other corrupted game review site.

I've turned off the Apex pysics, Am i missing out a lot?

I've seen this video that compares on and off but other then the way the clothing moves i don't see any changes in the game.

You know what???

F*** the reviews. They say the shooting is boring/average and the hand combat and long distance driving is tedious and not satisfying.

I played for 3 hours, and I LOVE it. Yes, even the hand combat. You can get good at it, and it seem fair and cool. So is driving.

Just because the idiot do not like the genre, or are on a time limit to finish and write the review, does not mean i'd listen to them.

Trust me, if you liked the demo - this game is GREAT. If you liked Mafia 1, buy this game.

I enjoyed the demo so I picked it up and haven't been disappointed at all. As I mentioned before, many of the negatives that reviewers were giving it were reasons I liked it in the first place (I didn't want a GTA open world concept which many reviewers seemed to want). I've been enjoying the game so far with no real big complaints though I'm only at chapter 4 so I'm just getting into the swing of things now. Haven't had any issues with the checkpoint system but we'll see how it goes as I progress through it a bit further.

REally they got some screwed up review about this game. I really like this one I just played the first mafia game and the slow cars and keyboard control layout from hell got me quitting the game after an hour. This game seems corrected all the issues.

Eurogamer are a bunch of ###### most of the time. they've always been the type to criticize the sun for being hot, what do you expect. definitely getting this one when i get the chance, going on the demo it's very nice.