Why I Canceled My Halo: Reach Pre-order

166 members have voted

1. 1. Will you pay $60 for Xbox Live Gold to play online?

• No, $50 is bad enough!
    • Yes, it's only $10 more.

Maybe it was just having an off day or something, but when I tried Netflix HD (shortly after the Xbox integration came out), it was absolutely horrible. It didn't look HD at all. I had to double check the movie I was watching was actually an HD rental (trust me, it was). Since then, I haven't even bothered with Netflix.

Was it a recent movie? If it was an old movie it may have simply been a lazy transfer.

Was it a recent movie? If it was an old movie it may have simply been a lazy transfer.

Can't remember exactly what movie it was, but I know it was fairly recent. At least from 2008.

Personally, I?ll be taking my $60+ for Halo: Reach and putting it towards Sony?s PlayStation Move.

....lol. I know I know, personal preference, but are you serious? I can sort of understand some people digging the magic pixie wands, but as a trade for what promises to be a AAA title like Reach, that's just odd. Passing on Halo for Resistance 3 (or whatever they're up to now), that I could understand.

....lol. I know I know, personal preference, but are you serious? I can sort of understand some people digging the magic pixie wands, but as a trade for what promises to be a AAA title like Reach, that's just odd. Passing on Halo for Resistance 3 (or whatever they're up to now), that I could understand.

It's probably more of a timing thing, while he may fulfill his alien hunting desires with Resistance 3 at some point in the future its not like he's going to set aside his $60 until then.

As for the general fed-up-edness with MS and Xbox I would agree, unfortunately the Xbox exclusives like Reach are the only reason I have it in the first place so I don't know if it makes sense to forgo reach and put that money towards my refocus on PC gaming or keep investing in the Xbox only as a means to play the games that can't be played elsewhere.

:blink: It's only $10 a year extra and your still getting it cheap! down under we pay AUD$79.95 (which currently equals ~USD$71) so stop your complaining :p

TBut as long as there are those of us who crave a good image

Thats me.

Bluray will have a market

Yup, for a little while at least.

How is the 1080p through DirectTV? Are there artifacts or tearing?

It's awesome. I haven't had any issues. If you visit us over at the AVS forums, we discuss this stuff until we are blue in the face :). CNET also found them pretty much the same:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10064560-1.html

Maybe it was just having an off day or something, but when I tried Netflix HD (shortly after the Xbox integration came out), it was absolutely horrible. It didn't look HD at all. I had to double check the movie I was watching was actually an HD rental (trust me, it was). Since then, I haven't even bothered with Netflix.

Netflix HD works great here. It's not BD quality, but it's indeed HD looking.

Why I Didn't Cancel My Halo: Reach Preorder

1. I'm not a whiny little b***h.

2. Halo: Reach is going to be legit.

This thread really shouldn't be alive.

Dude why you mad?

It's his money and opinion. Let him speak his piece.

Personally I love Halo too much to switch to a PS3.

Dude why you mad?

AHAHAHAHAHAHA Fail. Wasn't it YOU who said this a few posts back? "I've decided to purchase a PS3 instead of a 360 R2. Microsoft just wants money.."

I'd say it's you who's not doing the thinking. Talk about inconsistent. You'll basically say whatever it is you think people want to hear, and you don't make your own opinion. I noticed you're absent from the other thread where you basically said that stoning people to death was humane (the story of you saying that is spreading across the board).

So then, "dude", why not stop telling other people what to do? Because god forbid someone disagrees with an OP. I mean come on. We might end up having threads that are actually longer than 1 whole page if we allow people to agree. (massive sarcasm there since you probably missed it)

AHAHAHAHAHAHA Fail. Wasn't it YOU who said this a few posts back? "I've decided to purchase a PS3 instead of a 360 R2. Microsoft just wants money.."

I'd say it's you who's not doing the thinking. Talk about inconsistent. You'll basically say whatever it is you think people want to hear, and you don't make your own opinion. I noticed you're absent from the other thread where you basically said that stoning people to death was humane (the story of you saying that is spreading across the board).

So then, "dude", why not stop telling other people what to do? Because god forbid someone disagrees with an OP. I mean come on. We might end up having threads that are actually longer than 1 whole page if we allow people to agree. (massive sarcasm there since you probably missed it)

Dude you are so mad.

I never told anyone what to do.

A mature person admits when he's wrong, in this case we're discussing entertainment preferences so in essence there is no wrong and right.

I understand the OP feelings on this matter so I can sympathize. But I realize there's no need to go to extremes. It's true MS wants more money but when I read later on it's 80 cents per month I was like "meh.. I'll live"

Cool your trigger happy jets :devil:

Dude why you mad?

Spenser was just speaking his his opinion and peace as well. Can he not?

The price of Xbox Live was a huge factor into choosing what to get, I ultimately bought a Playstation 3 due to it's ability to play free multiplayer. The 360 and the PS3 are the same price now so I actually saved money, I don't have to pay for my controller to eat batteries, I get Blu-Ray instead of DVD, thus I get better quality games, the system is more powerful, I get more features, and of course, I dont have to pay for the ability to play online..

The price of Xbox Live was a huge factor into choosing what to get, I ultimately bought a Playstation 3 due to it's ability to play free multiplayer. The 360 and the PS3 are the same price now so I actually saved money, I don't have to pay for my controller to eat batteries, I get Blu-Ray instead of DVD, thus I get better quality games, the system is more powerful, I get more features, and of course, I dont have to pay for the ability to play online..

WTF laugh.gif

As for Spencer I'm just wondering why he needed to get upset, I never mentioned he needn't post his views.

I'm not upset. I just stated my reasons for keeping my Halo preorder. I was making a point that's apparently beyond you, the main part of which would be that this thread is and always was mainly about the price increase and not about Halo: Reach, and as such, there's already a thread, created before this thread was, discussing the price increase and the same back and forth is going on in both of them. So as I said, this thread shouldn't be alive.

I think its a con. You pay a fee to have internet access in your home. Then you have to pay a fee to access the internet for gaming through your xbox?

Yes, because Microsoft gets a cut of what you pay to your ISP. Blizzard, SOE, etc. all do too. They're all just running scams. [/sarcasm]

How can people even think this logic is sound? News flash: servers and maintenance staff cost money! Crazy, I know.

I think its a con. You pay a fee to have internet access in your home. Then you have to pay a fee to access the internet for gaming through your xbox?

Yes, there's a major conspiracy between Microsoft and the world's Internet Service Providers, not to mention the fact that you are forced to buy a gold subscription!

I'm generally pretty biased toward my PS3, and let my Live lapse in July. Figured I'd just move all my multiplayer to the PS3 and not worry about it... and that would be great if my friends on PSN were ever 1.)online and playing & 2.)playing the same games as me. The 360 just feels like it is missing something without full Live access, and even though I'm really annoyed they cancelled 1 vs 100, I grabbed a cheap card from Amazon the other day, some games are fine to play with strangers but some (and especially co-op) require people you have at least some relationship with, at least for me. Yes, I know it's $10 and it's the principle of the thing and blah, blah, blah... but $.83/month isn't nearly as annoying as an empty lobby for a game you really want to play.

Yes, because Microsoft gets a cut of what you pay to your ISP. Blizzard, SOE, etc. all do too. They're all just running scams. [/sarcasm]

How can people even think this logic is sound? News flash: servers and maintenance staff cost money! Crazy, I know.

No, Microsoft gets' a cut from all of the ads on the dashboard...last I checked paying a premium meant no ads...

No, Microsoft gets' a cut from all of the ads on the dashboard...last I checked paying a premium meant no ads...

Last I checked, the Spotlight channel was genuinely pretty useful. It's a great way to see new content.

Last I checked, the Spotlight channel was genuinely pretty useful. It's a great way to see new content.

I follow enough gaming sites to know what's coming out. And considering I still come across cheaters/hackers and still see lag and ads, I don't see why I'm paying for XBL.

I follow enough gaming sites to know what's coming out. And considering I still come across cheaters/hackers and still see lag and ads, I don't see why I'm paying for XBL.

Well, I guess you should be glad that you're not paying anymore. :D Isn't it great that you have that choice?

Regardless of all the opinions about pay and free, free is going to die very soon. The writing is on the wall. Game companies already talking about charging for online play with used games, Sony just started up a paid service, Microsoft is upping the cost of XBL, free will not be around much longer. Online play is a cash cow, PC game makers (WOW for instance) knows this and console makers are just starting to realize this. It will not surprise me if game makers start charging $1-$2 a month for server fees, if companies start raising prices and charging for what used to be free and gamers pay it, more and more companies will jump on the band wagon. I see Sony losing the free service within a year or so. I love online play and everything XBL offers and so do many, many people, they will pay and this new business model will take off.