Why I Canceled My Halo: Reach Pre-order

166 members have voted

1. 1. Will you pay $60 for Xbox Live Gold to play online?

• No, $50 is bad enough!
    • Yes, it's only $10 more.

The price of Xbox Live was a huge factor into choosing what to get, I ultimately bought a Playstation 3 due to it's ability to play free multiplayer. The 360 and the PS3 are the same price now so I actually saved money, I don't have to pay for my controller to eat batteries, I get Blu-Ray instead of DVD, thus I get better quality games, the system is more powerful, I get more features, and of course, I dont have to pay for the ability to play online..

Um, WUT? I'm pretty sure that more space does not automatically mean better quality, System is more powerful? Then why was red dead 640p and xbox was 720p? and who cares about powerful anyway when pc is the best roflz

more features? I own ps3 and xbox and no way more features Psn sucks massive jojos compared to xbox live, u cant even cross game chat plus the xbox live system is more refined and the interface is easier to use. Coming from

someone who owns all three therefore I am not trying to justify my purchase (LOL at pplz who do that) the xbox live system r way bettar

Oh and personally I have experienced alot of lag on psn network and ps3 games in general but that might be the game not the service

Once online movie streaming gives you more than 2.0 stereo (DTS k thx) I'll give a ****. I didn't buy a sound system to sit and collect dust. Sure there's many more people like me.

Yes, because Microsoft gets a cut of what you pay to your ISP. Blizzard, SOE, etc. all do too. They're all just running scams. [/sarcasm]

How can people even think this logic is sound? News flash: servers and maintenance staff cost money! Crazy, I know.

Yes, there's a major conspiracy between Microsoft and the world's Internet Service Providers, not to mention the fact that you are forced to buy a gold subscription!

My point is that you have to pay. You already paid for the game, then you have to pay again to play online. So now your paying for the game, your monthly internet bill AND subscription to play the game online...

Why are Neowin members taking to being so sarcastic toward each other recently?

My point is that you have to pay. You already paid for the game, then you have to pay again to play online. So now your paying for the game, your monthly internet bill AND subscription to play the game online...

Why are Neowin members taking to being so sarcastic toward each other recently?

This only applies if you purchase an online game and most games have fairly decent offline components. It would seem to me there a good number of people here who have forgotten the days of offline console gaming. They still exist and they are 100% subscription free. Games like Assassins Creed, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Gears of War, Halo, Soul Calibur, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid, Call of Duty, Uncharted, God of War, Little Big Planet, etc. all have perfectly viable offline gameplay. There are very few games that do not. It isn't MS's fault that people are willing to pay to play online games and it also isn't their fault that people today care more about multiplayer than single player.

This only applies if you purchase an online game and most games have fairly decent offline components. It would seem to me there a good number of people here who have forgotten the days of offline console gaming. They still exist and they are 100% subscription free. Games like Assassins Creed, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Gears of War, Halo, Soul Calibur, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid, Call of Duty, Uncharted, God of War, Little Big Planet, etc. all have perfectly viable offline gameplay. There are very few games that do not. It isn't MS's fault that people are willing to pay to play online games and it also isn't their fault that people today care more about multiplayer than single player.

Dont get me wrong, im not MS bashing at all. There are others out there that would\do charge for the service.

My point is that the online subscription to play the game should be in the initial cost. That being said, if they did that, they would simply charge more for the game.

Simple solution to this, revert back to pc games, its cheaper, possibly higher quality (depending on your system), lots of room for modifications, free DLCs, free multiplayer, and game developers dont have to pay microsoft a royalty to make games on their system. PC gaming is not dead, just needs more support from actual customers to make it thriving, the developers goes where the money is, but a lot of them would love to develop for PC because there are less restrictions. Its the consumers that really decides where the money goes, in the end console gaming is what costs more hidden fees than anything else.

People get defensive when you assault their religion with reason and logic.

A little too far.

Simple solution to this, revert back to pc games, its cheaper, possibly higher quality (depending on your system), lots of room for modifications, free DLCs, free multiplayer, and game developers dont have to pay microsoft a royalty to make games on their system. PC gaming is not dead, just needs more support from actual customers to make it thriving, the developers goes where the money is, but a lot of them would love to develop for PC because there are less restrictions. Its the consumers that really decides where the money goes, in the end console gaming is what costs more hidden fees than anything else.

The PC has just as many restrictions and hurdles to jump through. Publishers, Mac/PC, Steam, etc. Not to mention making a game for the PC is just as if not harder than the consoles (maybe not the PS3) specifically because the hardware is constantly changing and there are hundreds of configurations that need to be accounted for in the bug finding/optimization processes. Either way, PC gaming isn't necessarily cheaper nor is it of any higher quality. DLC is not free, either (look at Steam).

A little too far.

They way people act sometimes about there preferred way to play games I don't think it was to far.

i had no idea 16 cent a day was a big deal

It is when you have a black tar heroin addiction to feed!

Cry me a river.

I know right? Some people have serious sand in their vaginas. It's not as if they've doubled the price or anything, it's remained the same since 2002 despite inflation/taxes/other government money excuses. Why don't you send a whining letter to Major Nelson? I'm sure he'll add that to his don't-give-a-****-list. ;)

They way people act sometimes about there preferred way to play games I don't think it was to far.

The comparison suggests that his opinion on religion is that it lacks logic and reason, which would have to be true for his analogy to work. And therefore, he is indirectly bashing religions. That is why I said it was too far.

The comparison suggests that his opinion on religion is that it lacks logic and reason, which would have to be true for his analogy to work. And therefore, he is indirectly bashing religions. That is why I said it was too far.

Well I didn't look into it that deeply but if I did I could see how it can come off as offensive

Well I didn't look into it that deeply but if I did I could see how it can come off as offensive

Not worried about it, just pointing it out.