Xbox LIVE Update Preview Program

Not sure what I was thinking when I accepted the beta program. I flew by the "party chat will be disabled" feature disabled survey question. I READ it, but I didn't actually THINK about what I read. My fault. I guess I won't be in party chats for awhile. realmad.gif

I think you can chat with beta users during preview program. But during beta preview program, you can not chat with anyone else outside of beta program. We will see.

And when it becomes final, the public chat will be enabled.

You should have gotten another xbox as backup. I have 2 xboxs ... one is 120gb and other is 250gb elite (MW2 Edition)

120GB edition is for netflix, beta usage, and online gaming.

250GB edition is for serious gaming such as halo, racing, etc..

When I get a Kinect, I might use it on my 120GB after beta program is over.

Heh, I just want to know when we get to download this.

I guess you didn't read all during sign up process. They said preview program will be available in about 2 weeks. You will be notified about it.

I guess you didn't read all during sign up process. They said preview program will be available in about 2 weeks. You will be notified about it.

Wow, no **** dude, of course I read that. Saying it'll be available within two weeks isn't what I'm asking.

I think you can chat with beta users during preview program. But during beta preview program, you can not chat with anyone else outside of beta program. We will see.

And when it becomes final, the public chat will be enabled.

You should have gotten another xbox as backup. I have 2 xboxs ... one is 120gb and other is 250gb elite (MW2 Edition)

I do have 2 :)

I bet most of the people I chat with will join the program, so you are probably spot on there. Should be safe then :)

Its a preview not a beta. This along with the massive amount of people is just to do a word of mouth spread the word hype about it

Why do you think that? Every other preview program has been with beta software. As in the software was updated between when it was first deployed to preview program members and when it was finally released.

I do have 2 :)

I bet most of the people I chat with will join the program, so you are probably spot on there. Should be safe then :)

Cool then. :cool:

Wow, no **** dude, of course I read that. Saying it'll be available within two weeks isn't what I'm asking.

My bad. Sorry. I probably misunderstand.

Why do you think that? Every other preview program has been with beta software. As in the software was updated between when it was first deployed to preview program members and when it was finally released.

Because when I was part of a dashboard and other Xbox 360 betas it was labeled as beta, not preview. And the update between preview and public was just to remove the locks. Why do this level of Beta when all the hardware it will be tested on has what, less then 5 configurations other then storage space.

It's not like a computer, I can take my 360 HDD off my unit and it will work exactially the same on yours just like on my 360, unless you have a slim that has a different Hdd connector

Because when I was part of a dashboard and other Xbox 360 betas it was labeled as beta, not preview. And the update between preview and public was just to remove the locks. Why do this level of Beta when all the hardware it will be tested on has what, less then 5 configurations other then storage space.

It's not like a computer, I can take my 360 HDD off my unit and it will work exactially the same on yours just like on my 360, unless you have a slim that has a different Hdd connector

Dude, of course its a beta. There's no other way for them to do a heavy load test on all the new software without doing something like this. They're probably hoping they've done everything right and they don't have to change the software between the preview and the full-scale release (and lets face it, they probably have done it right), but the fact remains that we're still using a new piece of software that can change depending on how it reacts to the load and how we react to it between our preview and its actual release. Differentiate between 'preview' and 'beta' if you want, but for all points and purposes they're the same in a case like this.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/07/20/xbox-360-system-update-preview-program.aspx

The above blog post is from last year. It was refered to as a preview program then too. But the software deployed to the xbox at the start of the program was updated several times before it ended.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/07/20/xbox-360-system-update-preview-program.aspx

The above blog post is from last year. It was refered to as a preview program then too. But the software deployed to the xbox at the start of the program was updated several times before it ended.

Still a preview, betas are what i get from the connect site itself, the ones that ARENT posted on Majors blog, limited participation count and NDA

The dashboard still gets patches even after it goes public, doesn't change anything

If it was a full-on beta then surely they would have released it already, and labeled it as a beta...and not let masses of people join it?

Unless there's a showstopper bug then it would probably stay identical; and I would be surprised if it is the same build that was leaked last week.

Eh, you guys can call it a beta if you want, but it's probably more similar to a RC if we're speaking in software terms. It's likely nothing will end up getting changed and we won't even need to update after the preview.

Edit - not worth it, if people want to feel special by calling it a beta, feel free

Special? I don't care what its called either way, I think making a big deal about any sort of distinction between the two is to be retarded. See my previous post.

I was accepted the day they started this, but now I log into Connect and I cannot find it!

Hmmmm same here, I was accepted, but can no longer find it on connect!

They've probably taken it down as the program is now full. If you were accepted, you'll still be participating.

I still see it on my Dashboard.

I was accepted the day they started this, but now I log into Connect and I cannot find it!

Xbox preview program doesn't belong onto the public version of Connect. The preview program is on a separate private Connect page (like you made one of your pages private on your wordpress which you don't want specific people to see your private page.)

You should have bookmarked it when you signed up.

Just wait until the program becomes available for us to use on our xbox, they will send the link to us via email to let us know that it's ready to use. It will be ready within 2 weeks.