The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

From here through reddit

First reviews are up too it seems.

Embargo? What embargo! That said though, these appear to be very skimpy on the details and probably the only one I would trust would be the Jeuxvideo score, despite the platitude laden bulletpoints.

(From gog.com)

CD-ACTION (Biggest polish respected game mag) ? 9+/10

[World first exclusive review so we should notice that it may be biased]

+ amazing graphic/audio

+ superb story

+ real mature game

+ great humor

- stealth sections

- game has ending (it?s not infinite ? joke gripe)

PELIT (Finish biggest gaming respected mag) ? 93/100

?Sexistic, humoristic, atmospheric and brutal,

Witcher 2 redeems all of my expectations.?

PC-ACTION (german mag) ? Score: very good

+ Charismatic, totally cool hero

+ decisions have a major impact on story and gameplay

+ Brilliant graphics, dense atmosphere

+ Prima drawn characters

- Story is weaker towards the end

- 3 Act to short and poor in Quests

- combat control sometimes inaccurate ?

JEUXVIDEO (Fr magazine) ? 19/20

- The Witcher 2 keeps it?s promises and even more.

- The rpg that?s cd project give to us is simply hallucinating.

- The devs give us an intelligent rpg, adult, beautiful and damn immersive.

- TW2 is higher than the first, and I even could say that it?s the best rpg i have ever played.

Can't wait to see more scores, even though I've decided to buy it after the exams, which go all the way into July :cry:

Well it seems the game has leaked, and a whole bunch of comments being made on the sites I have seen it listed about not pirating the game, although some astute commenters are counter arguing do not even bother posting such comments on sites known for pirating and leaking. :laugh:

I am really, really torn about purchasing this game. I have yet to really like an RPG, more or less ever, but something about this game just appeals to me, and honestly if I do purchase it, it will be from GOG, as I really, really just support their whole DRM less model.

The other thing is I know for an absolute fact if I do play it, it would not be for weeks, as I am going to play LA Noire first. So the only reason I am looking to preorder it now would be to save the $5, but then I am saying to myself just wait for reviews, beat LA Noire, then see if I want to play it. I just like saving money. :laugh:

Well it seems the game has leaked, and a whole bunch of comments being made on the sites I have seen it listed about not pirating the game, although some astute commenters are counter arguing do not even bother posting such comments on sites known for pirating and leaking. :laugh:

I am really, really torn about purchasing this game. I have yet to really like an RPG, more or less ever, but something about this game just appeals to me, and honestly if I do purchase it, it will be from GOG, as I really, really just support their whole DRM less model.

The other thing is I know for an absolute fact if I do play it, it would not be for weeks, as I am going to play LA Noire first. So the only reason I am looking to preorder it now would be to save the $5, but then I am saying to myself just wait for reviews, beat LA Noire, then see if I want to play it. I just like saving money. :laugh:

You could have (still can?) buy the original for $5. Not too much of a cost to determine if you will like it or not...

You could have (still can?) buy the original for $5. Not too much of a cost to determine if you will like it or not...

Yeah I already got the first one the other day, was not a big fan because of the combat system. Everything else about it I liked. But I have heard this game has a better combat system, hence my interest.

I am still confused about the combat system though.

What I like is an Assassins Creed type combat system, where it is real time and some actual "gameplay" to it.

I know people consider the combat system of the first one to be real time, but I did not really consider it to be one.

So I am confused as to if this is just a more refined version of the first game's combat system, which I do admit is more like a traditional RPG, or if it is more of an action type game combat system, like an Assassins Creed for lack of a better example.

All of the boards I frequent, have a no share/no pirate rule for this game. Seems they respect that the developer actually cares and does not want to nickel and dime users. I myself bought the premium edition, first PC game I buy since SC2, I am amazed how much the developer cares.

EA/Activision/Bethesda Pay attention, this is how you develop games and not nickel and dime users, with horsecrap dlc that was already on the disc.

Two sentences from the IGN preview "review" solidified it for me...

Combat has also received a significant overhaul. Gone is the restrictive timing-based system used in the original, replaced by a more free-form system that should be more familiar to those who play third-person action games.

But a huge part of me really purchased this game for two very important reasons.

I support PC gaming and want to see it flourish.

I really support the whole concept of DRM free games.

post-34384-0-45162500-1305590586.jpg

It is done.

Two sentences from the IGN preview "review" solidified it for me...

But a huge part of me really purchased this game for two very important reasons.

I support PC gaming and want to see it flourish.

I really support the whole concept of DRM free games.

post-34384-0-45162500-1305590586.jpg

It is done.

This is pretty much the same reason why I bought the game, not only that but also the way CDProjekt handled the game especially offering 'free' additional "collector's" items at standard price like the mouse (preorder bonus), a nice guide book, soundtrack, etc.. which imo is a deal you can't resist. If developers do this, not just PC developers but also consoles then they deserve all the support and my money.

Well i Played the Witcher 2 for 3 hours last night, first impressions >

First off, im amazed my computer can play this thing on high settings (Radeon 4850 512mb) and it still look brill (even if my graphics card sounds like its screaming for the sweet release of death) at first the controls were a little awkward to get use to but after learning all the shortcuts and this helped alot (obviously)

Combat was also a bit weird to begin with, i died something like 8 times on the same spot (a bit with lots of fire) and became so frustrated i loaded a previous save and did a different bit (coming back to the bit with fire at the end...and doing it first time) I think this is because I learned about the signs and what they did and also understood how the combat system works better. Its not just click as fast as you can, its a lot to do with timing (similarities to Batman : Arkham Asylum) there are a few moments when the combat feels a bit clumsy, like when trying to block and the button not responding, but maybe thats to do with certain factors whilst in combat (like having a sign active or something) not sure yet.

Either way, ive got use to the combat now and its much more satisfying and fun, the graphics are amazing and to think this whole game was built on a custom made engine makes me only hope that the devs get a good return on their hard work. I even like the soundtrack so far. Can really see myself enjoying this game!

Only problem now is to try and not play it during all my spare time! arrrrrrrr

If you're getting the server is to busy message it's because the games currently only uploaded to the US West Coast servers, change the server to Seattle or San Jose and it'll work fine.

hey inferniac i apologized to you a few pages earlier because i'm not getting The Witcher 2. i just assume everyone in Poland is somehow related to CD Projekt :laugh:

hey inferniac i apologized to you a few pages earlier because i'm not getting The Witcher 2. i just assume everyone in Poland is somehow related to CD Projekt :laugh:

I thought so :p Game does get a lot of coverage here so I did post some news, but the studio is located in a different city :D

BTW

Valve has confirmed that the Steam version of fantasy role-playing PC exclusive The Witcher 2 does not include digital rights management after players found reference to the dreaded SecuROM in the game.

Gamers detected SecuROM in the Steam version, due to be activated in approximately eight hours, and took to the Steam forum to express their concern.

However, according to Valve's Chris D, there's nothing to worry about.

"I just got a heads up from CD Projekt that the game doesn't have SecuROM, they just didn't bother to pull out the dummy files...so that's good," he wrote.

In the build up to the game's launch Polish developer CD Projekt promised fans the game would not include any DRM at all ? if bought from its digital shop GOG.com, which only sells DRM-free games.

Last year CD Projekt told Eurogamer digital rights management treats gamers like "criminals".

It "doesn't work", CEO and co-founder Marcin Iwi?ski said.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-17-valve-calms-the-witcher-2-drm-concern

Most likely a Bioware employee trying to troll. Notice how he/she has a total of three reviews: The Witcher 2 (gave a 0), and two reviews of Dragon Age II (gave a 10).

Just read his 'review' :D

Look to the masters at BioWare with their latest RPG epic, Dragon Age 2, for inspiration in your future games, CD Project. You certainly won't find it making shallow sex simulators based on plagiarized fantasy novels.

I'm having a major stuttering problem with the game from the start; I haven't even started the game yet. As soon as I turned the game on the video starts stuttering like running crysis on Pentium 2. Just installed beta nVidia 275.27 and will see if those help.

BTW running i7 2600k, GTX 470 with 6 gig ram, Win 7 x64.

I've bought the game retail as I didn't really want to wait for 16Gb of data to download.

It's an awesome game so far, but I have noticed a couple of things....

For those that have bought the retail version of the game, when you where doing the secure rom activation, did you notice that the activation program reported that you have unlimited activations for the product key? I thought there was supposed to be a 5 activation limit?

Also, when launching the game, do you find that it takes a good 20-30 seconds for the game to start up? I'm talking about the time taken to go from the 'Launch game' option to seeing the intro videos. just wondering if anyone else had noticed what seems to be a long initial load time?

I've not actually had any problems running the game so far once it loads.

I've bought the game retail as I didn't really want to wait for 16Gb of data to download.

For those that have bought the retail version of the game, when you where doing the secure rom activation, did you notice that the activation program reported that you have unlimited activations for the product key? I thought there was supposed to be a 5 activation limit?

Also, when launching the game, do you find that it takes a good 20-30 seconds for the game to start up? I'm talking about the time taken to go from the 'Launch game' option to seeing the intro videos. just wondering if anyone else had noticed what seems to be a long initial load time?

Well you have gotten further then me, as it will not even launch for me. :laugh:

I click Launch Game, then I get a pop up saying "Please use launcher to activate the game," a little icon shows up in my System Tray, the Icon of the head shows up for a few seconds, then both disappear and it just takes me back to the window with the options such as Launch Game, Register Game, etc. This is a thread about the issue I am having.

When I try to Register The Game, I get a server not connected error message.

When i try to launch the patcher exe within the folder, I get a bunch of different errors.

So yeah, I found that above thread that suggested uninstalling the game, disabling UAC and Anti Virus completely, then reinstalling the game, but man for a game that has no DRM, this sure is the most issues I have had just trying to get a game to run in quite some time.

I am actually heading to bed soon, so will see what I can figure out tomorrow. Cannot say I am all that impressed with the whole DRM free thing anymore. :laugh:

Just an FYI to anyone having the same issue that I did, doing what was suggested worked.

Uninstall the game.

Disable UAC and AV software.

Reinstall the game.

The above worked. I even re enabled UAC and my AV, just had to click Allow a few times with Kaspersky, and everything now works, from the game itself, to the patcher, to actually being able to register the game.

So yeah, have to go to bed now, but just wanted to help anyone who may have had the same issue.

I updated the original post to add game info, screenshots, and videos. It's something I should have done weeks ago. :p

The Witcher 2 is amazing.

Simply amazing.

Screenies in the spoilers - looks amazing.

cut scenes which use the actual engine

th_witcher22011-05-1809-33-17-91.png

th_witcher22011-05-1809-29-56-18.png

th_witcher22011-05-1809-28-12-52.png

in-game screenies

th_witcher22011-05-1809-46-52-27.png

th_witcher22011-05-1809-46-39-79.png

th_witcher22011-05-1809-46-36-12.png

th_witcher22011-05-1809-46-34-26.png

th_witcher22011-05-1809-46-31-63.png

th_witcher22011-05-1809-46-29-06.png

Screeny of my settings - can't run SSAO/Bloom/High Shadows because it just eats up your FPS. With these settings I get a solid 45fps. Motion blur is annoying so I turned it off too.

Untitled-1-4.jpg

My random answers in bold xD

Yes, there's still 5 activation limit but it means that you can install the game as many times as you want but you can run only the game for up to 5 users at the same time. So the game is 'limited' to 5 users if that makes any sense lol

Yup, happened to me as well.. not sure why it takes so long to load too :/

My random answers in bold xD

Thanks for your reply. Good to know its not just me with the initially long load times!

The securom thing is a little confusing, I just hope that CD Projekt are true to their word and patch out the DRM after a few months.

Woo it is finally here.

Feels weird to be using the blu-ray drive, i've been so used to steam. I swear it just creaked when the disc started to spin.