Board stats for September 2010

How would I upgrade my membership without wait the year to pass by?

PM Redmak. He can sort out an upgrade to Tier 2 for you.

It happens, tech forums go through their lows and highs.. I've seen several tech forums outright disappear due to inactivity. I mean they are there, but little to no activity.. example.. (Iexbeta, AeroXP)

For me it is the dominance of the forums with general discussion and non technology related news that has stopped me contributing even a quarter of what I used to. I mean, if you ask a tech related question here these days the people just aren't that knowledgeable or you don't get a response. I have facebook to talk rubbish about the 6pm news and the latest celebrity scandal.

I do like the front page though. Even though some of it is just regurgitated stuff that other sites posted days before, there is a lot of good reading and different perspectives still to be had.

+1

*I still love you Neowin :p

For me it is the dominance of the forums with general discussion and non technology related news that has stopped me contributing even a quarter of what I used to. I mean, if you ask a tech related question here these days the people just aren't that knowledgeable or you don't get a response. I have facebook to talk rubbish about the 6pm news and the latest celebrity scandal.

I do like the front page though. Even though some of it is just regurgitated stuff that other sites posted days before, there is a lot of good reading and different perspectives still to be had.

Non tech related discussion can be switched off in My Settings, plus guests don't see a lot of our off topic forums.

The off topic forums were also added due to member demand quite a while ago (years).

Non tech related discussion can be switched off in My Settings, plus guests don't see a lot of our off topic forums.

The off topic forums were also added due to member demand quite a while ago (years).

Where abouts? I already filter non-technical forums but that only applies to the mini-spy and spy - two things I never use. I browse by new content. I have no doubt you added off-topic forums at the demand of users and that really isn't relevant to my comments. There is a place for them, but my comment was pointing out that they now dominate to the detriment of technical.

Where abouts? I already filter non-technical forums but that only applies to the mini-spy and spy - two things I never use. I browse by new content. I have no doubt you added off-topic forums at the demand of users and that really isn't relevant to my comments. There is a place for them, but my comment was pointing out that they now dominate to the detriment of technical.

It's the "I'm at work" checkbox, which goes a little further than filtering the spies.

I'm at work

Makes the forum suitable for the workplace. It removes Not Safe For Work topics and removes non technical forums from the full- and mini-spy

The "show images as links" option is automatically selected

The "View images in posts, such as smilies and posted images?" option is automatically unselected

Found here under Neowin Settings.

It'd be good if Neowin could feature more exclusive and breaking stories, but that'll demand quite a lot of contacts within corporations.

Would be awesome as well, but Neowin is this feasible?

Would be awesome as well, but Neowin is this feasible?

Neowin has had several breaking news as of lately - the Zune for OS X one being the last. So yes, it is feasible.

Yeah I been noticing their content has been increasing, maybe I just read to fast lol; I will read the stories slower, so I wont go through them swiftly.

Damn us fast readers and wanting things all the time haha.

I thought of another idea, but have not gone to far into as its not 8am yet and im still half asleep. I think though podcasts are a good idea for Neowin to look in.

I wish I could say I was too but my life has been terribly busy the last few months. My posting has slowed down considerably.

Basically the same for me as well. I have always been more active during the summers but as soon as fall hits, I get tremendously busy with college. As things slow down over Christmas break I'll be able to post more, but unfortunately Neowin kind of takes a back seat for now.

It's the "I'm at work" checkbox, which goes a little further than filtering the spies.

I'm at work

Makes the forum suitable for the workplace. It removes Not Safe For Work topics and removes non technical forums from the full- and mini-spy

The "show images as links" option is automatically selected

The "View images in posts, such as smilies and posted images?" option is automatically unselected

Found here under Neowin Settings.

Nope, only works for the spy and mini-spy.

Disappointed I did not see this earlier.

From what I have thought to myself on numerous occasions, the News section is the first thing you get when you go to Neowin.net. It looks amazing compared to most other sites - very clean, professional, and new. Naturally it is the content on this page that needs to grab surfers and bring into the forums.

The news articles have indeed gotten much better at being fun to read and cover the latest content with a broad range and even a bit of exclusivity as of late. What I have thought would be even more improvement is the way the articles are constructed. This was an excellent read, and this was also the first time I ever saw this video anywhere, however, I am not an avid reader. Articles like this immediately scream "wall of text". Fitting even one picture with text wrapped around would have made this article immensely less intimidating. I can't be alone in this. There is a huge following of people who like their information fast and like to have fun while getting it.

This was great. The pictures I enjoyed and the content was amazingly informative. I don't know where else I would have been able to get such a large review of the new Windows Phone 7 in one fell swoop other than watching Attack of the Show over an entire week for one review a day.

I think everything is here to bring in new great contributers. Perhaps refining news articles to make them even more enjoyable would compel people to delve deeper into Neowin and find there is also personality!

Also, am I the only one who has noticed a huge increase in subscribers? Surely that says something as well..

There's been an increase in subscribers since the site update in January from what I can tell - people honouring the hard work put into the current iteration of Neowin. Then there was the subscription giveaway, which also helped increase the number of subs.