Herb Dean to ref UFC 168?s Weidman-Silva II main event, judges assigned

http://mmajunkie.com/2013/12/herb-dean-to-ref-ufc-168s-weidman-silva-ii-main-event-judges-assigned/

Good referee choice. Shame Big John can't work in Nevada. As for the judges, looked them up on MMADecisions. They've been in previous title fights and scored them correctly (at least according to my perspective). But I don't think they'll have to work at all with this fight.

UFC_Fight_Night_33.jpg

Depending on where you live in the world, TOMORROW. OR THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW.

Due to the time difference, the card is airing on the 6th in the USA while being fought on the 7th in Australia.

Finalized card to follow the weight-ins.

Shogun is totally shot. If he can't get past James Te-Huna, he should retire without anyone needing to have a talk with him. Te-Huna is no slouch, but has obvious holes in his game. It's a very winnable fight. Te-Huna, however, isn't going anywhere with a win since he lost his last fight to the current #1 contender, Glover Teixeira, and already has a loss to Alexander Gustafsson.

Facebook & UFC.tv
Ben Wall (168) vs. Alex Garcia (170)

Undercard on FOX Sports 1

Bruno Santos (185) vs. Krzysztof Jotko (185)

Richie Vaculik (126) vs. Justin Scoggins (125)

Nick Ring (185) vs. Caio Magalhaes (186)

Takeya Mizugaki (135) vs. Nam Phan (135)

Main Card on FOX Sports 1

Julie Kedzie (135) vs. Bethe Correia (135)

Dylan Andrews (185) vs. Clint Hester (186)

Pat Barry (237) vs. Soa Palelei (264)

Ryan Bader (205) vs. Anthony Perosh (205)

Mauricio Rua (205) vs. James Te Huna (205)

Mark Hunt (262) vs. Antonio Silva (264)

Pretty much irrelevant but absolutely packed with potentially fun fights.

Claudia Gadelha off Invicta FC 7 card with bacterial infection :angry:

She can't seem to keep herself healthy enough to fight. If Dana was speaking the truth about adding a strawweight division in the UFC, she would certainly be a top pick. She's a straight up beast inside the cage.

Both WSOF and Invicta events were pretty good. Nick Newell got yet another submission win. He almost has an unfair advantage in a guillotine choke because you have to hand to pry off to fight the choke.

UFC_168_event_poster.jpg

Card has been finalized and bout order has been set.

Facebook/Youtube/UFC.tv

Estevan Payan vs. Robbie Peralta

William Macario vs. Bobby Voelker

Preliminary Card (FS1)

Siyar Bahadurzada vs. John Howard

Manny Gamburyan vs. Dennis Siver

Michael Johnson vs. Gleison Tibau

Uriah Hall vs. Chris Leben

Main Card (PPV)

Diego Brandao vs. Dustin Poirier

Fabricio Camoes vs. Jim Miller

Josh Barnett vs. Travis Browne

Ronda Rousey vs. Miesha Tate [Women's BW Title]

Chris Weidman vs. Anderson Silva [MW Title]

Absolutely stacked card with amazing fights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAjHnqtxumY

UFC announces signing of 11 women strawweights for TUF season, winner becomes first UFC 115lb champ

WOW! :| :drool:

They've signed: Carla Esparza, Cl?udia Gadelha, Alex Chambers, Felice Herrig, Bec Hyatt, Emily Kagan, Julianna Lima, Rose Namajunas, Tecia Torres, Paige Van Zandt and Joanne Calderwood.

And this also means they have, inadvertently or purposefully, killed Invicta FC or at least seriously maimed it.

I'm hoping Jessica Aguilar will fight in WSOF and then transition to the UFC instead of going trough TUF.

Georges St. Pierre is vacating the championship belt, taking an indefinite leave but if/when he comes back he claims he will be better and stronger.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/12/13/5207476/georges-st-pierre-media-conference-call-live

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1887969-report-georges-st-pierre-to-take-indefinite-leave-give-up-welterweight-belt

:|

Georges St-Pierre announces indefinite leave of absence, vacates UFC welterweight belt

I'm happy and sad at the same. I'm sad because GSP is a great fighter overall (despite losing to Hendricks) and the UFC is poorer without him. But I'm very happy because it causes the WW division to finally move ahead instead of being a constant waiting pattern of guys that GSP will decision to death.

Kudos on GSP vacating the belt instead of turning this into a Dominick Cruz type of situation. Also, Carlos Condit will be the champ in 2014. Just you wait.

:|

Georges St-Pierre announces indefinite leave of absence, vacates UFC welterweight belt

I'm happy and sad at the same. I'm sad because GSP is a great fighter overall (despite losing to Hendricks) and the UFC is poorer without him. But I'm very happy because it causes the WW division to finally move ahead instead of being a constant waiting pattern of guys that GSP will decision to death.

Kudos on GSP vacating the belt instead of turning this into a Dominick Cruz type of situation. Also, Carlos Condit will be the champ in 2014. Just you wait.

Still don't think Hendricks beat him and his decisions were at least exciting, save of course his Hardy, Shields and Kos fights. I mean, when has Diaz, Condit or Hendricks been finished? Not in quite some time! 

It's good he steps away. What's interesting is this will be the first time since 2008 he has not been champion and I think since 2006 him and Silva have not been champions. If he does come back and he is better and stronger like he said he will be, well...That will be interesting. He may very well be the Michael Jordan of MMA.

Still don't think Hendricks beat him and his decisions were at least exciting, save of course his Hardy, Shields and Kos fights. I mean, when has Diaz, Condit or Hendricks been finished? Not in quite some time! 

It's good he steps away. What's interesting is this will be the first time since 2008 he has not been champion and I think since 2006 him and Silva have not been champions. If he does come back and he is better and stronger like he said he will be, well...That will be interesting. He may very well be the Michael Jordan of MMA.

The GSP vs Hardy fight was one of the most fun ones. He threatened Hardy with deep subs on a couple of occasions and Hardy miraculously pulled trough. Shields fight was crap, Koscheck fight was a destructive jab fest.

GSP always says he'll come back better and stronger. It's just how it goes. Tito Ortiz is always in "the best shape he's ever been in". Frank Mir is always "going to come back stronger". It's a cliche. Maybe he's saying he'll decision people 60-45 on a 5 round fight. If GSP really wants to prove that, he should come back and start finishing people in the octagon before reclaiming his title. That is if he comes back... It's not like he needs the money.

The GSP vs Hardy fight was one of the most fun ones. He threatened Hardy with deep subs on a couple of occasions and Hardy miraculously pulled trough. Shields fight was crap, Koscheck fight was a destructive jab fest.

GSP always says he'll come back better and stronger. It's just how it goes. Tito Ortiz is always in "the best shape he's ever been in". Frank Mir is always "going to come back stronger". It's a cliche. Maybe he's saying he'll decision people 60-45 on a 5 round fight. If GSP really wants to prove that, he should come back and start finishing people in the octagon before reclaiming his title. That is if he comes back... It's not like he needs the money.

Yeah but Mir and Ortiz say that on losing streaks. Time away can really clear your head and allow you to refocus and sharpen your skills. I think you're being unnecessarily harsh on the guy for not finishing. He is still every bit as dominant of a champ as the WW division has ever seen, more dominant than most other champions of any other division have been, an excellent tactician. Not to mention he used to finish a ton of fights but honestly, the division has only gotten deeper and with it the talent better. I'm no GSP fanboy - A couple of his fights have irritated me that's for certain. I just feel he gets a lot of crap when he has earned the respect of everyone imo.

Too bad Askren isn't in the UFC. I'd love to have seen Hendricks or Condit welcome him to the fold.

Yeah but Mir and Ortiz say that on losing streaks. Time away can really clear your head and allow you to refocus and sharpen your skills. I think you're being unnecessarily harsh on the guy for not finishing. He is still every bit as dominant of a champ as the WW division has ever seen, more dominant than most other champions of any other division have been, an excellent tactician. Not to mention he used to finish a ton of fights but honestly, the division has only gotten deeper and with it the talent better. I'm no GSP fanboy - A couple of his fights have irritated me that's for certain. I just feel he gets a lot of crap when he has earned the respect of everyone imo.

Too bad Askren isn't in the UFC. I'd love to have seen Hendricks or Condit welcome him to the fold.

Despite the talent pool getting deeper, lately there's been too much of GSP that is only counting how many rounds he has in the bag instead of GSP going all out to beat you up. Despite fighting guys that are notoriously hard to finish, it's not like at any moment anyone said: wow, look at GSP going all out and trying to be the first guy to finish X. It didn't look like Diaz going after Maynard. It didn't look like Miller doing his best to put Lauzon away. Sort of like Aldo did in the KZ fight. 3 purely workman-like rounds racking up a points lead and then the finish due to KZ getting injured. He outstriked them, outgrappled them, gamplanned them, but despite that dominance in all aspects of the game, he kept losing his drive to put a definitive mark on the fight. The first sign of that was the Jake Shields, were he was head and shoulder above Shields and refused to engage with anything other than the jab. Jake Ellenberger knocked him on his ass with 1 punch. Something was going on in his mind and now it has come to its conclusion.

As for Askren, I'd book him vs the winner of Dong Hyun Kim vs Rory MacDonald. Booking him straight against Hendricks or Condit is overvaluing him a bit. He needs to prove he can swim in the UFC waters.

Updated_UFC_on_FOX_9.jpg

Free MMA tonight! Here's the card.

Facebook/Youtube/UFC.tv

Darren Uyenoyama vs. Alptekin Ozkilic

Preliminary Card (FS1)

Abel Trujillo vs. Roger Bowling

Sam Stout vs. Cody McKenzie

Scott Jorgensen vs. Zach Makovsky

Bobby Green vs. Pat Healy

Danny Castillo vs. Edson Barboza

Court McGee vs. Ryan LaFlare

Main Card (FOX)

Joe Lauzon vs. Mac Danzig

Chad Mendes vs. Nik Lentz

Urijah Faber vs. Michael McDonald

Demetrious Johnson vs. Joseph Benavidez [FLW Title]

The result of the fight will be changed to a ?no contest? on Silva?s official record, while Hunt will retain the draw.

That bit's weird. Is that normal practice for MMA?  :s

That bit's weird. Is that normal practice for MMA?  :s

Yes. Because to give Hunt a NC would be "worse" for his record. (a Draw means you finished the fight in equal standing). Had Bigfoot won, the loss would be overturned in Hunt's record. If Hunt had won, nothing would change.