[XP] Bluescreen During Install, Please Help

Hi

I have been trying to install XP X64 onto a secondary partition for some old games that I have that don't really work too well with Windows 7, and I am having issues with the install.

I have tried both booting from the CD itself, and from an ISO file using EasyBCD 2.0, and am getting the same error each time.

The actual bluescreen occurs during text mode. I can get through the process where it loads the textmode drivers just fine (where it says things like "Loading Windows NT File System (NTFS)") and it gets to the point where it says "Setup is starting Windows" and bluescreens, the error is as follows:

STOP 0x0000007B (0xF78CA524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

According to this page, the second part of that error string indicates this as a possible fix:

Note: If the STOP 0x0000007B error occurs during the Windows setup process and you suspect that the reason is driver related, be sure to install the latest hard drive controller driver from the manufacturer for use during the installation of the operating system.

Note: This is a likely solution if the second hexadecimal number after the STOP code is 0xC0000034.

However, I have tried to change my controller from AHCI to IDE mode (have even tried to enable legacy mode) and it still blue screens. my computer contains a standard Intel X48 ICH9R controller, and a JMicron JMB36x controller. I have tried booting with both in RAID mode, RAID and AHCI, both in IDE, and AHCI and IDE (have also tried disabling the JMicron controller) and it makes no difference, the installer still bluescreens at the exact same point.

I have tried this with both an nLited Windows CD, with my textmode controller drivers integrated, and a vanilla CD. I have tried this with the 32 and 64 bit editions of XP, nLited and Vanilla, and both bluescreen at exactly the same point.

My hardware config is as follows:

Q6600 @ 3.3 GHZ (tried returning the overclock, and general bios settings to default, made no difference)

ATI Radeon 4850 (HiS IceQ edition)

8GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 Memory (4x2GB)

DFI Lanparty UT-X48-T2R motherboard

250 GB Western Digital WDC-2500JB-00REA0 IDE Hard disk

750 GB Samsung F1 HD753LJ Sata II

1TB Samsung F1 HD103UJ

Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-111D

Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-216D (Sata)

Sound is an onboard Realtek ALC885 HD Sound solution

Also have a standard PCI USB card with 4 ports (have used it in an XP machine before)

Dual onboard Marvell Yukon LAN

Disabled Firewire and Serial ports as I don't use them

Disabled Floppy controller, and boot up floppy seek

The only things that I have plugged into the JMicron controller are the IDE hard drive, and DVD-Rewriter, all of the SATA devices are plugged into the Intel standard controller.

I also have the following USB devices pluged in

Logitech Quickcam Easy/Cool

Standard USB Game Controller

Standard USB Mouse

Infra-red Receiver for MCE Remote

And a PS/2 Logitech keyboard

If anyone could offer me any further help in resolving this problem I would be grateful, I feel like I have tried everything possible to resolve this problem. Photo of the BSOD attached.

EDIT: I have also uploaded a

to YouTube of the problem and exactly how it occurs to make it more clear

post-286512-12873225986118.jpg

HAve you checked this page fora solution: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

I have tried most of those solutions, and nothing really has helped, and although I haven't specifically checked for it, I don't believe an IRQ conflict is the problem as my computer works perfectly well with Windows Vista, Windows 7, and all of the forms of Linux I have tried.

The only part of that Microsoft solution I haven't looked at is this:

1: If you are using a SCSI hard disk, check the SCSI chain for correct termination. Remove any unused SCSI devices or make sure that each SCSI ID is unique.

2:Make sure that drive translation is turned on (if it is required) and that it has not been changed. For example, if you recently switched controllers, this issue may occur. For additional information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

314082 You receive a Stop 0x0000007b error after you move the Windows XP system disk to another computer

As I don't really understand what either of those items mean, however all of my devices are SATA not SCSI, and I don't think the error about switching controllers applies, as this is a fresh install, booting from a CD.

You don't have SCSI, so you don't have to worry about that part. Also it doesn't look like you have raid. The hard drive you are trying to install to is IDE or SATA?

You said that you have tried using nlited cd's right? Have you tried slipstreaming SATA drivers onto the disc?

Also are all of your drives being detected in the bios? If you don't see all of your drives then you can check the jumpers on the drive to make sure they are setting correctly (or all on Cable Select (CS) )

If the above doesn't work then your disc/iso image that you have been using is bad, and I would suggest that you get a new disc or image.

You don't have SCSI, so you don't have to worry about that part. Also it doesn't look like you have raid. The hard drive you are trying to install to is IDE or SATA?

You said that you have tried using nlited cd's right? Have you tried slipstreaming SATA drivers onto the disc?

Also are all of your drives being detected in the bios? If you don't see all of your drives then you can check the jumpers on the drive to make sure they are setting correctly (or all on Cable Select (CS) )

If the above doesn't work then your disc/iso image that you have been using is bad, and I would suggest that you get a new disc or image.

No, I have no RAID.

The hard disk that I am trying to install to is a SATAII disk, however the install does not even get to the stage that lets me select a disk, it bluescreens before it is initialising properly

I have tried booting from a standard disk, and an nLited disk with the textmode drivers slipstreamed in, and it made no difference both bluescreen at exactly the same.

In response to your third question, all of my drives are indeed detected, and although I can't remember exactly what my jumper settings are, my IDE hard drive is being picked up as master, and my IDE CD-RW is being picked up as slave, which is as I planned when building the computer, so I can only presume that the jumper settings are correct.

Also, I have tried a normal disk, however I have also tried using the new feature built into EasyBCD to boot straight from the ISO files stored on my hard disk. I have tried booting from nLited X86 (SP3) and X64 (SP2 integrated manually) images, as well as stock images downloaded from MSDN (X86 SP3 and X64 SP1) and all of them bluescreen at exactly the same point, with exactly the same error code. I have used the ISO images to install other machines before so I am certain that the images aren't bad.

Well it sounds like a hardware issue then. Either your motherboard or more specifically the controller on your motherboard is going bad.

You could try buying a cheap controller in install it just to see if your drives are detected during the install

Well it sounds like a hardware issue then. Either your motherboard or more specifically the controller on your motherboard is going bad.

You could try buying a cheap controller in install it just to see if your drives are detected during the install

I'm not so sure that it is, I have done stress tests and performance tests on them, and they pass with flying colours, not to mention my Windows 7 install is perfectly stable (bearing in mind I installed it back in July 2009), in fact hasn't blue screened in months. Whatever it is, it's specific to XP, as Vista and 7 work perfectly.

Edit: Added a YouTube video link to initial post to highlight exactly how the problem occurs

I would normally think that you have a piece of hardware "too new" for XP, but you have a Q6600 C2Q, DDR2 memory, and the previous generation ATI card (soon to be two generations removed)... all of which should have no problems with XP. I honestly can't think of what's wrong, but the XP installer just plain does not like your system setup. How old are these games? You might be able to get away with running them in a virtual machine instead, using VirtualBox or similar, this is assuming they're old enough that they don't utilize direct3d or opengl.

While I don't condone using XP on modern hardware, I have yet to see a modern computer that actually refuses to install XP when someone tries to. The only thing I've seen so far is OEMs not providing drivers for some of the components they come with. I am mind boggled with this!

I would normally think that you have a piece of hardware "too new" for XP, but you have a Q6600 C2Q, DDR2 memory, and the previous generation ATI card (soon to be two generations removed)... all of which should have no problems with XP. I honestly can't think of what's wrong, but the XP installer just plain does not like your system setup. How old are these games? You might be able to get away with running them in a virtual machine instead, using VirtualBox or similar, this is assuming they're old enough that they don't utilize direct3d or opengl.

While I don't condone using XP on modern hardware, I have yet to see a modern computer that actually refuses to install XP when someone tries to. The only thing I've seen so far is OEMs not providing drivers for some of the components they come with. I am mind boggled with this!

Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Worms Armageddon and the original version of Trackmania

A little to hard on the computer for being run in virtual machines sadly, RTCW especially freaks out it's rather sensitive to 3D configuration.

To add to this, I have now tried a Server 2003 disk, and a Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PC's and they both bluescreen with the same error as well.

You need the controller drivers for your mobo (the F6 at boot prompt). Vista and 7 have them built in.

Already covered that, I used nLite to slipstream them in, rather than load them from the floppy (if you check the video I posted, you can even see setup loading the ICH9R driver) but sadly that doesn't make a bit of difference :(

Have you actually installed windows Vista/7 or Linux on the second partition you are trying to use? Not the main partition but the one you are trying to install XP on. If you have indeed installed especially Vista or Win7 then I would have to first suspect a bios driver. Forget the bios defaults and look at turning off everything that is not needed. Onboard audio, Lan etc...then try again.

If you have issues then check the partition also.

iastor.sys

You could also try reversing the order of the installations. Install x64 first and then 7

Had that before after a fresh PC build. Problem was the SPD on the RAM not giving the right timing and frequency information.

Manually changed it to its "default" in the BIOS/CMOS, worked well after.

Give it a try.

Did you slipstream x64 SATA drivers?? What version of windows, did you slipstream XP Pro x64 in? I would use something else besides XP Pro x64. Its not that great with drivers, or anything else really

It definately looks like a problem with ahci mode. Are there any updates for the motherboard bios?

Try loading bios defaults and test with only 1 hdd first.

I have tried disabling AHCI mode, and it makes no difference. As for the bios, the last update was released in 2008 and I already upgraded to it. As for your other suggestions, I have tried bios defaults however I will try swapping the drives about and report back to see how it goes.

Have you actually installed windows Vista/7 or Linux on the second partition you are trying to use? Not the main partition but the one you are trying to install XP on. If you have indeed installed especially Vista or Win7 then I would have to first suspect a bios driver. Forget the bios defaults and look at turning off everything that is not needed. Onboard audio, Lan etc...then try again.

If you have issues then check the partition also.

iastor.sys

You could also try reversing the order of the installations. Install x64 first and then 7

Unfortunately, I can't turn my onboard sound off, I don't have a secondary card, however I have disabled everything else that I don't need like serial ports, firewire ETC.

In response to your other question... I haven't actually installed any other OS on the specific partition I am targeting for this install, however I have installed other OSes onto the same disk and they have worked fine. However as I have pointed out, the installer crashes before I can select a disk, in fact it crashes before it even initialises properly so I am not too sure that the problem specifically is the target drive.

Had that before after a fresh PC build. Problem was the SPD on the RAM not giving the right timing and frequency information.

Manually changed it to its "default" in the BIOS/CMOS, worked well after.

Give it a try.

I'll have a look at that and report my results, thanks

Did you slipstream x64 SATA drivers?? What version of windows, did you slipstream XP Pro x64 in? I would use something else besides XP Pro x64. Its not that great with drivers, or anything else really

I tried slipstreaming the drivers into both the XP X64 and XP X86 disks, both crash in the same way. I did all of the slipstreaming in Windows 7 X64

try installing different os on this partition. and just because you don't have another audio source doesn't mean you can't temporarily disable onboard audio.

Remove 2 of your ram sticks then try installing

I tried slipstreaming the drivers into both the XP X64 and XP X86 disks, both crash in the same way. I did all of the slipstreaming in Windows 7 X64

Not a good idea slipstreaming x86 in x64 (or vice-versa, from what I've read anyway). Unless you did it in XP mode (for x86). Thats probably why it crashes.

And dont mix x64 and x86 drivers in a slipstream (if this is what you've done). . You should always slipstream whatever in the same OS. (XP Pro x64 in XP Pro x64, and Win XP x86 in Win XP x86)

Not a good idea slipstreaming x86 in x64 (or vice-versa, from what I've read anyway). Unless you did it in XP mode (for x86). And dont mix x64 and x86 drivers in a slipstream (if this is what you've done). Thats probably why it crashes. You should always slipstream whatever in the same OS. (XP Pro x64 in XP Pro x64, and Win XP Pro x86 in Win XP Pro x86)

The error that I receive is exactly the same when I use an unmodified install disk, so I am not so sure that is the issue. Unfortunately I don't even have a FDD to try loading the drivers using the normal method, however I will try slipstreaming the disk using an XP Virtual machine and get back to you.

As for the other suggestions:

All of my memory settings are already on Auto, so that can't be the issue.

As for the suggestion about swapping my disks around... I have tried setting my Bios to boot by default from both the IDE disk, and a spare SATAI disk I had, sadly however the computer still blue screened (although interestingly the error code was slightly different, photo attached), same result with removing all the SATA devices... bluescreen, different error code.

I have also tried booting from a Windows 2000 CD, and that also bluescreens with the same error code, however it also adds the inaccessible_boot_device message.

post-286512-12873592599093.jpg

I have also tried booting from a Windows 2000 CD, and that also bluescreens with the same error code, however it also adds the inaccessible_boot_device message.

This is the same as stop error 00000007B. The SATA drivers need to be added / slipstreamed, before it can install windows. This means it cant find the hdd. So, cant install windows. If all of the cd's are unmodified (I take it you mean they're the original cd's), thats why all of them crash. No SATA drivers.

So, is AHCI enabled or disabled in the BIOS?? Did you get the SATA drivers from the mobo's makers site or somewhere else? I could show you how with teamviewer, if you want....It'll probably be better if you slipstream something like Onepiece's addons. There's one big one, (which includes everything except this mths updates), and about 10 removal addons to remove all the programs you dont need.

This is the same as stop error 00000007B. The SATA drivers need to be added / slipstreamed, before it can install windows. This means it cant find the hdd. So, cant install windows. If all of the cd's are unmodified (I take it you mean they're the original cd's), thats why all of them crash. No SATA drivers.

So, is AHCI enabled or disabled in the BIOS?? Did you get the SATA drivers from the mobo's makers site or somewhere else?

Tried it with AHCI enabled, RAID mode, and IDE mode (with legacy support enabled and disabled, same error every time) The raid drivers are from Intel and JMicron's websites.

As for the CD... I have tried both slipstreamed, and original CDs both crash with the same error. As for the error code, what I meant was although the error type is the same the first 2 hex codes are different from the error I get setting one of my SATAII drives as boot drive

Tried removing 2 sticks of memory, tried removing 3 and just leaving 1 and same crash... Tried disabling onboard audio... same crash tried drivers from motherboard manufacturer's website instead of the newer ones I downloaded... same crash