Fusion OS

When will it reach rtm? As i want to run it but only when its out of beta

We have a little while to go before it reachs RTM the next release (RC1) will be very close to RTM after RC1 it will be feature frozen and then we will just be working bugs out. We will have much more information for you all within the next few days.

RKWj25, I am interested in the Microsoft Windows Compatibility. In beta 3 can you install MS programs if so how do you do it. I would like to make a request it would be nice if you could put in any windows program and it install as it does on MSW. I am an OEM system builder and I build for all kinds of people, I would like to offer them a better choice for OS one that works with MSW Programs just like MSW does.

Do you have any builds available for download? I was on the website but there is nothing on the download page. Looking forward to trying it out.

RKWj25, I am interested in the Microsoft Windows Compatibility. In beta 3 can you install MS programs if so how do you do it. I would like to make a request it would be nice if you could put in any windows program and it install as it does on MSW. I am an OEM system builder and I build for all kinds of people, I would like to offer them a better choice for OS one that works with MSW Programs just like MSW does.

That's now how Linux works. You can't just run Windows apps, that's why they are Windows apps, and not Linux apps. You can install Wine though and use that to emulate most Windows apps though. Wine isn't without it's issues and configuration changes though, so it's not something you could ever just hand to someone who is used to Windows and have it work 100% of the time.

Looking forward to updates on Fusion though. I'll probably install the next version on an extra system here at work to play around with.

I just wanted to posdt a quick update and respond to the few people above: I will be announcing the plans for RC1 with screenshots and will be showing you the new features, and will hopefully be launching the new website also. I can't wait for you guys to hear about all the exciting things that are coming in RC1 it truly is amazing. Can't. Wait. So tomorrow evening I will post that with all kinds of screenshots and information so don't miss that!

Danielohioguy:

AJerman is correct, the Windows Compatiblity Layer is a form of WINE, which will run some Windows programs but it is not the best and easiest way to do it, and I would steer away from that. We are working with try to deeply implement it into the OS to make it as seamless as possible, and I have been testing it internally, but no pormises if it will ever actually amount to anything in Fusion itself. You never know though, it all depends on how much progress we can make with it.

Pinebender:

Beta 3 is available for download at: http://www.simplyinnovation.net/fusionos/fosb3.zip

Please don't embed too much into the core of the OS. I can't speak for everyone, but I think it's safe to assume people would prefer modularity.

Please don't embed too much into the core of the OS. I can't speak for everyone, but I think it's safe to assume people would prefer modularity.

I agree, I have been testing it on a completely differnet codebase, but If we would decide to pursue it (unlikely) then we want to make it as seamless as possible. For now this is just a thought for the future. Like I said before I doubt anything will come of it, mainly because it would really be more trouble than its worth considering you would only be able to run a limited selection of Windows applications anyway.

I am downloading the zip file from the link, can you please guide me through the install procedure.

Will unetbootin work? Does it contain iso? Is it a live cd? Can i run it in vbox?

Amazing .. Quite fast actually .. n simple. loved it. Though It installs Pulseaudio and some issues with my card and pulse audio. It works well in Natty but i don't know something wrong there. Sound was not coming. Will look into it later.

Anyway great work guys! keep it up.

No, actually. Geeks want modularity, thats why they use the build it yourself distros, "people" want simplicity, that's why they use windows and OSX, and why Ubuntu tis the most popular Linux distros despite being arguable worst. With no real proper control panel and extremely limited control, far less than even windows or OSX offers, without installing optional and "complex" config tools or manually editing cryptic config files.

Hey guys, I know most people in here have an issue with Windows. However I would like to know who want to break the monoploy of Microsoft. Fusion OS is a name that should be given to an OS that can run anything at the same time be everything that linux is. This is a name I came up with back when I was 16 yrs old I wanted an OS that could run anything and not have Walls. Why because Microsoft is too big, Bill Gates does not need anyone money beside that its too easy for the governement to hack your system if its based on OSX or Windows. RKWj25 I know you guys are working hard really hard to make this OS, I dont know if you want to hit it big with it or what you want to do. I think you should give Microsoft a Run for their money, give the people a better choice than Windows or OSX.

I seen that you had Wine built in but how do you use it, I had to go download it from the "app store" to use it like i would on Ubuntu 11.04, however I couldnt get Wine to install office 2007 I have not tryed PlayOnLinux yet but will. What about Longene that patch to the kernel that lets you run both, has anyone been able or even looked at that on here? If so could that be used on Fusion and is there away that you could patch the kernel for us and give us the iso because I am more or less a newbie to Linux I have played with almost every distro on the net but I have to say I like Fusion so far and I like Ubuntu 11.04.

articleheader.png

Well Hello Again,

Today is an exciting day chalk full of announcements relating to Fusion OS. First off though I would like to, as always, thank everyone for their continued support toward us, and for Neowin providing a place for us to talk about our development. We would not be to the point we are at now without all of you, and Neowin. Alright, now lets get down to business.

First off, we have created a new logo. The new “bird” logo is a dramatic change from the old logo, it represents that Fusion is open and light. The second thing I would like to talk about today is the OS itself and the changes that we will be making for RC1. We think what happens most of the time in an OS is that there is a lack of attention to detail. Little things do matter just as much in completing the user experience. So in light of this I would like to talk about of few of the items have made updates to: Install Experience, App Browser, and the App Center.

Install Experience. We believe this one area where not just Linux is lacking but OS’ in general they have really been less than ideal. We created something that is more straightforward and informative for you, the user. The new install experience offers screenshots, a feature slideshow, 3 step install, and it is very interactive. I have included two screenshots for your viewing pleasure below.

Next, App Browser: The App Browser is an area of much controversy since its inclusion in Fusion. Some people prefer a classic menu and others like the browser method. So, the new App Browser really has the most powerful features from both, the ease of a browser, with the powerful filtering of a menu. The new App Center is beautiful, will launch faster than the old one, and fits much better in the general UI. Its layout doesn’t feel as “clumsy.”

Finally, the App Center: Another subject of debate is the App Center. Since its inclusion in the last release of Fusion it has generally been well received, it is basically a new front-end for Ubuntu’s Software Center. We are keeping this the same in all of the releases leading up to 1.0. This will just be a new front-end for the Ubuntu Software Center. As previously mentioned we still have plans though to launch our own App Catalog once we have indexed enough to provide a variety, but this will not be for a while yet.

fusiondevelopment2011.png

Fusion OS RC1 will have over 19 new features and improvements, ranging from new core applications, to improved networking and faster boot times. Also another thing I would like to report is that from the login screen Fusion now completely loads your desktop and is finished loading all items in 3.5 seconds. This is a dramatic increase over our previous releases and we hope to keep making it faster. Fusion RC1 also will be including a thoroughly redesigned window theme, all graphics have been redesigned and this will be the final time, as we have worked all the bugs out of this. Other things not mentioned here but are being actively worked on are: The new Lock screen, new Control Center, new boot screen, and a sound scheme. I hope you are as excited for Fusion OS RC1 as we are and have as much fun using it as we are having creating it. Fusion OS RC1 has no estimated time of arrival at this point but expect it to be a few months away. This is the most dramatically changed and largest release we have ever done. Also we will have better distribution channels setup this time to ensure prompt and proper delivery to you all. Thanks for reading and you will be hearing much more about everything I mentioned, and the few things I mentioned but didn’t elaborate on in the next few weeks.

Thanks,

Keith.

Your APT sources still has Ubuntu stuff in the screenshot. I don't need or want Ubuntu junk with this OS, I want it to stand on its own legs.

Your APT sources still has Ubuntu stuff in the screenshot. I don't need or want Ubuntu junk with this OS, I want it to stand on its own legs.

Fusion OS is based on Ubuntu 10.10 Minimal which starts as a command line. We have built it up from the command line. The reason there are Ubuntu Sources is because the App Center is connected to Ubuntu's Software Repositories. Fusion OS is independant from Ubuntu.

This is getting more and more professional :)

I have followed this thread since the start, with all the people telling you to quit, or to just make a desktop enviroment for Ubuntu. I am so glad that you continued through to get to the stage you have today :) With the right exposure, this OS could very easily get to the level of Ubuntu and other major distributions!

Will continue to follow your work closely :) I think there are a few things you're doing here that even Microsoft and Apple should take notice of, such as the installer and other things like that, it really does look like the cleanest, most useful installer for an OS i've ever seen.

Keep up the great work buddy!

Hey guys, I know most people in here have an issue with Windows. However I would like to know who want to break the monoploy of Microsoft. .blah blah blah... I couldnt get Wine to install office 2007

You could start by not using monopolistic software for a start. Irony ....much ? :wacko:

Great looking OS, I will definitely give this a try at the weekend.

Thanks for the hard work.

Looking better and better every time. I'm disappointed that I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I will very soon. Everything looks amazing. Keep up the great work.

• 2 weeks later...

Love it! Sorry for asking again though, but will it contain a Wubi installer as my computer is messed up as it is. Yet alone changing the bootloader.

Also, can try and incorporate drivers from Ubuntu 11.10. As with previous builds of Ubuntu I had no WiFi, sound or brightness due to my computers odd-specs (Thanks PB) but they mostly work in 11.10. The brightness requires a grub line edit too. Would love if it was done automatically.

Hey,

Quick update. Our new website is now live at http://www.fusionos.net/ and contains the new features fro Fusion OS RC1, the download for Beta 3, and the new Support Site is live. The Website renders ok in every browser, however, the support renders best on anything other than Internet Explorer (any version). Also please use the Tweet and Like buttons on the front page! :) More information will be coming in the next few days and weeks.

- Keith.