Fusion OS

So what your saying is we would just have to set up a repository for our modified applications, and our themes and icons and so forth?

I don't think it even has to be hosted in a repository, you just have to put the code somewhere if you've modified other people's work, I just think it makes it easier for you to update same packages etc. If you've written something from scratch, then it's up to you how you license and release it. For the OS base, Ubuntu's repositories already cover the source code. Once again, I don't see the issue here. Just make sure you look into the license for the themes and icons you're redistributing and if they allow redistribution, but the application source code is already available via the base OS.

Thanks so much everyone for your help! :D I understand now what we need to do, and I am going to get on it right away. I am SO glad we were able to find away to make this work. I am going to setup a page on the website with this information on it and use Launchpad for the repository for our applications! Again thanks so much. The only reason I said that I was going to end it is because I dont want to get into any sort of legal trouble...

Thanks so much everyone for your help! :D I understand now what we need to do, and I am going to get on it right away. I am SO glad we were able to find away to make this work. I am going to setup a page on the website with this information on it and use Launchpad for the repository for our applications! Again thanks so much. The only reason I said that I was going to end it is because I dont want to get into any sort of legal trouble...

It's completely understandable that you don't want to get into any legal trouble. I recommend reading the license of the applications you're modifying as well as any themes you're modifying very closely in detail. If you're not able to understand it, have someone who can break it down for you. That is the only way you're going to get an understanding of it and not scare yourself silly anytime someone threatens you with legal action or even just reporting.

You just need to provide access to what you have modified. Nothing more. You didn't write Ubuntu. If someone wants the source code for Ubuntu, they can go get it themselves.

As long as you're providing YOUR OWN modifications, you're fine. Just a little piece of advice though, if you're unsure of what you should be doing with regards to licensing, research it. There is no reason to quit simply because some idiot threatens you. Also, if you haven't even been contacted about the GNU, I'm not sure why you're even worried.

In the end, if you're really going to be doing this, you'll need thicker skin ;) Don't be so easily jarred.

Like nekkidtruth said, you don't need to setup your own repository to release your modifications, but wouldn't it be a nice thing to do anyway? Since, as you stated, you made minimal modifications to Ubuntu, it shouldn't be too much trouble to setup.

A repository would let you do some really nice things other than simply releasing the source for you modifications, such as easy upgrading between releases and timely updates. In fact, you could probably create a metapackage called fusion or fusionos that would allow someone to add your repository to a stock build of Ubuntu and transition it to FusionOS or easily upgrade between version of FusionOS. This is generally the way its done in other distributions (such as the ubuntu-desktop metapackage in Ubuntu releases or the debian-install metapackage in stable/testing releases of Debian).

Just out of curiosity, how are you handling upgrades with your current system?

Thanks guys for all your support and information! Also it is great to see that so many people want to run Fusion! I am going to be working as fast as I can to get our existing source code up for download, and we will use this https://launchpad.net/fusionos as our specific bug tracker, and code version manager. Also we will be setting up a PPA for the packages. Again thanks so much and please continue to bear with us as we get all of this sorted out! :)

- Keith.

Massive props to Trojan for the rapid release of the torrent.

You are welcome :) I'm at school right now but I will put my pc on for a few days once i'm home :)

I'm so happy this project is still alive :D

I'm so happy this project is still alive :D

agreed, this is the first good linux project I've seen in a LONG while, it would've been sad to see it die

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on anything? Is FusionOS still continuing?

\

Yes we are! I am sorry for the lack of updates, there has been a lot of personal things going on recently along with Fusion OS. I will post some updates soon! Thanks everyone for your continued support, and patience.

Thanks for the half update. Good to know this isn't dying.

I do however have trouble understanding why there are no official forums running on your own website as well as why there aren't regular updates posted on your website. It doesn't make much sense to me that you would go to the trouble of launching a website, but don't update it and or provide a spot for people to discuss/help the project. Any particular reason behind that decision?

There is a strange issue with the latest VirtualBox and the FusionOS. The screen after installation is black, assuming that the iso is either corrupted or the graphic environment is failing. Would you be kind enough to provide ISO hash?

Goodness, I haven't been on this thread in forever! The last version of Fusion OS I've used was the Beta 3, and while there were a number of good things about it, there were still a few minor issues (some on my end).

But looking at the latest screenshots and stuff... wow... it just looks amazing... Absolutely amazing... I can't wait to download and look at the next public build of this OS...

While I was reading the last few pages, my heart sank when I read that the project had ended... I'm happy you were able to find a solution and continue working on it! :D

I can't wait to see what you have in store for this OS... You've gotten so far since this thread started, and I'll be sure to check back here more often to see the new progress you'll make... This is quite a project, and I very much like what you have going on here... So keep up the good work, and I can't wait to see the results! :D

I've seen a lot of distros that don't deserve half of the attention and havent been as worked up as FusionOS. Keep up the good work, I want to give it a go too.

A question, since its based on Ubuntu, I'm guessing its compatible with the Ubuntu repositories right?

• 2 weeks later...

Kudos to RKWj25 for the wonderful work he has put into this.

I just hoped he had more ppl to support on this project.

U have some wonderful mouthwatering ScreenShots..

I am downloading the Beta 3, but I guess it is not the same as RC1, you are working on.

I am using PinGuy OS right now.. Though I like it.. there is I guess a bug with audio drivers.. which renders the system unusable after 20-30 mins or so.. (have tried all audio players)

Let nothing stop you from producing a great version ...

Listing in http://distrowatch.com/ with a few Screen-shots should arouse more interest and may help in provide more Contributes to the Project...

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, the project is still alive! I am very sorry for the lack of updates in the last two months, there has been a lot of personal things going on and I didnt have much spare time that I could devote to the project. But fret not I will be getting back on track very shortly and we will be releasing our next version along with the source. :) be expecting many updates and releases in the coming weeks and months.

- Keith.