Got WP7 - Neowin wants to hear from you!

1) What device did you get?

Samsung Focus

2) How long have you had it for?

About a month and a half.

3) What are your top 3 features/'hits'?

People - the facebook and mail contact integration into 'cards' is fantastic, and being able to see status updates so quickly is fantastic.

Xbox Live - While I still haven't gotten into gaming on my phone much, it is a fantastic integration of the platform into the mobile world that I'm keen on taking advantage of.

Bing Search/Maps - I've been using Bing as my main search engine for a long time so I already know its results are solid, but the first time I searched for a business and found it automatically bringing up local hits and a location map, I was impressed. What got me is that after hitting a specific location, the card for it even showed the hours for that particular branch. I guess its the simple things that get me :p

4) What are your top 3 'misses'?

Lack of multi-tasking. Now i really don't care that much about this because the phone is fast as hell, but I dislike the way that the Facebook app gets around it by opening up links inside the app itself (****ty and slow because the app still needs work) instead of just opening them in IE.

Lack of a B&N nook ereader app and lack of any sort of information about it.

Marketplace search.

5) Anything else you want to say?

Can't say enough about the UI. Something about android always seemed clunky/cluttered to me, which is why I could never bring myself to buy one, but Metro is easily the best out there. Its fast, sexy, and very intuitive. The keyboard is better than anything else I've used. I really hope these phones take off.

6) What app is your favo(u)rite so far?

Shazaam, IMDB

PS - AT&T is having a WP7 sale. Their handsets are going for $99.99 direct from AT&T. However if you go to AmazonWireless.com you can get the Focus for a penny.

While i see the analogy about the DVD and Blu-Ray, i think that Xbox Live for WP7 and 360 are the SAME platform. One is not better than the other. And just so you know, some studios are releasing Blu-Rays with the corresponding DVD and soft copy, for little less that the original Blu-Ray price. So I think that would be the right way to go. And yes, ive been regarded as an idealistic person. :laugh:

Regarding Swype, why would it not be released on WP7? That would seem kind of backwards. Is there a press release or something where the confirm no other platforms? Or is this a Microsoft thing?

And these are just misses. No real dealbreakers for me.

Thanks for the info.

Mr.Ed

Yeah, I know what you mean about the Blu-Rays. I have a couple of the Star-Wars family guy versions - they include the Blu-Ray, DVD, and a digital copy. Never really used the digital copy, but I think the idea is fantastic. There's a certain amount of platform similarity, and from a certain perspective, especially development, there's major similarities between XNA on the 360 and XNA on WP7. You might see free/very low cost games where they've been developed side by side or from the outset intended a WP7 game (think the Fable III Coin Golf, although I don't know pricing for it), but where they're previous franchises but new developments (Ilomilo, Sims 3, NFS Undercover etc), it's still a new thing, even though they're 'old'. I think it would be nice, and hopefully, you'll see kind of companion titles, a la Fable III's example for free.

Regarding Swype, it's not so much that there have been any press releases with Microsoft condemning Swype and stating it will never come to the platform, it's more of an ethos thing. WP7 does not support swapping out the soft-keyboard in the same manner as Android/WM do, and Microsoft are going to lengths to ensure the visual aspect and experience of the platform overall (with very good reasons). In the same vein you don't see Swype on the iPhone (or alternative system-wide keyboards), you're not going to see it on WP7. Like I said though, WP7's soft keyboard is absolutely fantastic, and there are keyboarded options (LG Quantum, HTC 7 Pro, Venue Pro) already available, as well as the upcoming Chassis 2 form factor that will see BlackBerry style devices, so I wouldn't be too attached to Swype. I used it on Windows Mobile, and agreeably, it was great, but I'd rather a great built-in SIP than having to rely on a third party one.

Enjoy your device :)

HTC Surround

Over a month

Facebook Integration

The Metro UI

Zune Player

No released NDK

No Copy Paste yet

No Custom Ringtone yet

This is my second mobile phone and I love it. :heart:

MS Office

Yeah, I know what you mean about the Blu-Rays. I have a couple of the Star-Wars family guy versions - they include the Blu-Ray, DVD, and a digital copy. Never really used the digital copy, but I think the idea is fantastic. There's a certain amount of platform similarity, and from a certain perspective, especially development, there's major similarities between XNA on the 360 and XNA on WP7. You might see free/very low cost games where they've been developed side by side or from the outset intended a WP7 game (think the Fable III Coin Golf, although I don't know pricing for it), but where they're previous franchises but new developments (Ilomilo, Sims 3, NFS Undercover etc), it's still a new thing, even though they're 'old'. I think it would be nice, and hopefully, you'll see kind of companion titles, a la Fable III's example for free.

Regarding Swype, it's not so much that there have been any press releases with Microsoft condemning Swype and stating it will never come to the platform, it's more of an ethos thing. WP7 does not support swapping out the soft-keyboard in the same manner as Android/WM do, and Microsoft are going to lengths to ensure the visual aspect and experience of the platform overall (with very good reasons). In the same vein you don't see Swype on the iPhone (or alternative system-wide keyboards), you're not going to see it on WP7. Like I said though, WP7's soft keyboard is absolutely fantastic, and there are keyboarded options (LG Quantum, HTC 7 Pro, Venue Pro) already available, as well as the upcoming Chassis 2 form factor that will see BlackBerry style devices, so I wouldn't be too attached to Swype. I used it on Windows Mobile, and agreeably, it was great, but I'd rather a great built-in SIP than having to rely on a third party one.

Enjoy your device :)

And the bottom line is you are absolutely right. I really hope to see more forward thinking regarding Live services and games.

Regarding Swype, i thought in the same respect as you do. Microsoft maintaining uniformity in its implementation. But who knows, maybe well see in the future more communication between them, and hopefully some form of support for those wonderfull creative technologies that really make the platform shine.

And really, Microsoft has always been proactive regarding technology implementations and new ideas, so well see. The future is really bright.

Thanks for your insight. Greatly appreciated.

Mr.Ed

Microsoft is testing my patience =(

I still am unable to purchase any paid applications...and if I phone them up they just tell me my issue is still open :/

Sure I could easily fix this issue by using a new live id...but I can't just do that :/ I have years worth of emails on my hotmail, a technet sub, xbox live sub, dreamspark sub etc and I would lose all of those if I was to switch over. Not to mention I would have to go around changing my email on a whole load of things / migrate my email etc.

Why not create a new Live ID just for the phone?

Zune pass, I have a 3 month sub so =/ I would also lose the ability to dev unlock my phone (dreamspark students get it free) since I believe its tied to your live id as well.

And Happy Birthday Mr. Ed!

• 2 weeks later...

Lol I found something "funny" today with WP7's Calendar.

Go to the monthly view, and then look closely at the dates where you have appointments set. Instead of what your appointment name is, it will say things like "Hello from Seattle", "Welcome to Seattle" etc. (Yes I have perfect 20/20 vision). Obviously clicking on the day will bring up your real appointment list but yeh.

Nice find! :p Mine says something like "suspend time agenda" and other ones are maybe italian or spanish phrases? (probably not, but too small to read) :rofl:

Ya, MS easter eggs I guess. It's not like you can use it in that view anyways so they're messing around a bit. I just hope they update the app to add support for multiple calendars per account and not just the main one outta each. It should be simple I think. Also I guess adding to-do/task list support as well. The rest of the app is fine imo, or at least I can't think of anything else to add/fix.

1) What device did you get? HTC HD7

2) How long have you had it for? Since Weekend after release (Purchased 23rd October)

3) What are your top 3 features/'hits'? Facebook Integration, New UI, XBOX Live

4) What are your top 3 'misses'? Cut/Copy/Paste (Yup, I know this is coming), Angry Birds (I love this game, on my old iPhone and can't wait for the WP7 one), Missing MAC Address info and inability to connect to hidden SSID Wireless Networks

5) Anything else you want to say? Fantastic Phone, Great OS, it's got loads more potential and after less than 24 hours with it I swore never to go back to a iPhone (I had a 3GS and then a iPhone4 before), I've not installed a great deal of apps yet but the market is still growing and I have everything I need at the moment, this has a better out of the box feel, I did not have to immediately go to the App Store to download and install things missing from the OS, I have everything I need for the moment.

6) What app is your favo(u)rite so far? Wordpress, we are about to start using this as our front page portal for a tech site I'm a site admin for and I like having the ability to get into it very quickly and into the backend also using this app on my phone.

Lol I found something "funny" today with WP7's Calendar.

Go to the monthly view, and then look closely at the dates where you have appointments set. Instead of what your appointment name is, it will say things like "Hello from Seattle", "Welcome to Seattle" etc. (Yes I have perfect 20/20 vision). Obviously clicking on the day will bring up your real appointment list but yeh.

Yeah, pointed that out earlier too (though much harder on the Omnia 7's screen with it's pixel layout, not sharp enough to make most of it out xD) Wish they'd use something close to the actual length of the appointment title though, it's a bit weird to see la really short entry on month view, and then when you go into it's actually a massive long entry, and vice versa :p

Thought I may as well give my thoughts:

1) What device did you get? HTC HD7 (16GB Edition)

2) How long have you had it for?1 week

3) What are your top 3 features/'hits'? Fluidity of the OS, the big screen makes typing a pleasure (and the correction system is usually spot on), the music player is definitely the best one I have used.

4) What are your top 3 'misses'? Speed of some applications opening, copy/paste, some tiny bugs that occur (xbox live sometimes just refuses to open, usually happens if you use the phone when installing a large game)

5) Anything else you want to say? I think Microsoft really hit the nail on the head with WP7, it feels nice right out of the box without having to spend time customizing it. I love the "minimalistic" feel to it, I hate having clutter that I don't need on my phones, and little touches such as the battery/wifi being hid until requested definitely show that this was their goal. Most of the issues I have are going to be fixed with this update and so I can deal with it. Also everyone that has seen or used the phone now want to get one, most of them being iPhone owners and stating that it feels much more professional. One of my friends have already purchased one with another few getting it once they get the money. All in all, I feel that this phone was made for me, almost as if WP7 was my idea. ;)

6) What app is your favo(u)rite so far? I'm not really a big user of the apps, but I'd have to say the HTC apps are my favourite. The flashlight app has came in handy on more than one occasion, and with the dual LED's on the thing it's bright as hell!

HTC mozart 7

just under 2 weeks

Facebook integration is great, the people app is a brilliant touch.

The onscreen keyboard and spelling correction is by far the best I have used

Information on the lock screen (I keep my uni schedule in the calender so knowing where i have to be and when at a glance is great)

A decent alarm tone, they are all so quiet! needs more volume and the tones need to be more disturbing.

App switching would be very nice to have.

Cant realy think of a third :s

Apart from a few random app crashes and things its been great :) really enjoying the phone.

this is a tough one, but iloMilo is a great app.

Zune pass, I have a 3 month sub so =/ I would also lose the ability to dev unlock my phone (dreamspark students get it free) since I believe its tied to your live id as well.

And Happy Birthday Mr. Ed!

No, the dev unlock can use any Live ID, even if it isn't signed into your phone. Speaking from first hand experience.

Here is a letter I emailed Steve Ballmer & Stephen Elop earlier:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr Ballmer & Mr Elop,

Following on from the recent press regarding Microsoft / Nokia WP7 deal, may I put across my opinion having experienced how good a phone can be when a highly capable mobile OS developer and a thoughtful, intelligent phone manufacturer combine resources to make a great piece of kit.

I'm talking about the Nexus One (and all its functionality, build quality & highly credible car and desktop dock)....I purchased them all in July 2010 at great expense direct from Google and shipped to the UK (which I couldn't afford to do now - I have since sold my N1 & gone into contract with 3 UK with a Samsung Omnia 7).

Perhaps I suggest Microsoft & Nokia form a similar alliance, creating a well built, solid, good looking handset, with a decent spec (think Samsung Omnia 7 with similar aesthetics, same size display with same quality, 16/32GB storage options (built in not SD card), 8mp camera with dual led, dual-core processor, long-life battery & front facing camera) along with OEM officially sanctioned desktop dock & car dock accessories???

Obviously this type of handset would be seen as a showcase device & allow people to have the option of buying into the Microsoft philosophy fully (just as I once did with Google & the Nexus One before I sold it & got a Samsung Omnia 7) or indeed purchase other handsets manufactured by other brands (such as the Omnia 7 / HTC HD7 for example) if people aren't as 'geeky' as I am.

If you offer a devise of this nature, let it be available on all networks across the majority of countries you currently supply mobile devices to and bring updates covering true multitasking, video calling, cut & paste, turn by turn sat nav & other useful features such as full integration with Windows 7 desktop OS / Windows 8 integration (in future obviously)...then I believe you will have a dominant product to challenge Google & Apple taking into account the fact you'd have multi-manufacturer contracts to release a multitude of handsets with.

Even though I'm tight for cash, I'd sell my Omnia 7 in a heartbeat & buy a handset and accessories the likes of which I outlined above.

I have visions of how great this would be....I'd be honoured to have a reply from you but realistically understand this is unlikely.

Good luck in your business endeavours regarding your mutual association.

Yours sincerely,

Mr. X - based in UK.

I would actually like to see a Nokia device running WP7.

Say what you want about their software, but their hardware and build quality is usually top notch. My old N97 has gone through hell (it's been dropped more times than I can remember, its been washed by mistake etc) and it's still working just as well as it did when I first bought it.

I would actually like to see a Nokia device running WP7.

Say what you want about their software, but their hardware and build quality is usually top notch. My old N97 has gone through hell (it's been dropped more times than I can remember, its been washed by mistake etc) and it's still working just as well as it did when I first bought it.

the old Nokia's where practically bomb proof, one of my house mates use to have an n95, that thing got abused and only had to be returne due to him bricking his phone. As for build quality i would like to see an iPhone take that much damage and still work.

• 3 weeks later...

1) What device did you get? HTC HD7

2) How long have you had it for? 2 weeks and one day

3) What are your top 3 features/'hits'? People's Hub, Voice detection, dedicated camera button

4) What are your top 3 'misses'? Memory card extension, copy & paste, great hardware like stainless steal, retina display .. in other words just like on the iThing :pinch:

5) Anything else you want to say? For people like me who never had a smartphone before but was jealous sometimes when friends would unintentionally brag their iPhones; Windows Phone 7 DOES feel unique and very oustanding. Now, I'm the one who brags his phone in front of people in order to see their faces amazed while some friend of mine is still trying to find his app among his googolplex apps!

The best part is that I didn't pay for my phone, Microsoft loves me so much that they gave it to me for free ... just like my Windows 7 Ultimate copy (Signatured Edition baby!) :cool:

6) What app is your favo(u)rite so far? I think it is still too soon for me to say which app is my favorite but one app I use the most (so far) is Last.FM and Facebook (although I would had chosen the People's Hub [not an app] because I really have no need to use the Facebook app unless I have to )