Windows 7 Will Kill XP Ahead of Windows 8, It

you didi it again. he didn't say xp users were brain dead. so yet again you've done hte same thing you accuse others of doing.

Windows XP is an insecure, fugly and unsuable OS. It has been dead for a long time -- except among brain-damaged people.

oh rearry?

This got me thinking about my own site. I went and looked at the usage statistics from my blog, and here are the results:

post-178329-12889830850395.png

post-178329-12889830840672.png

Some of the last few results from the last day or so have been from NT 4 on IE6. Not sure if that's a glitch or what. Disturbing if it's accurate though.

Unless my PC (2008 vintage) breaks down irreparably before April 2014, I will continue to use it with XP pro SP3, IE 8 and WMP 11, since it is very stable and does all I want at an acceptable speeed. Then I'll consider buying a new PC with whatever version of Windows is then current (Win 9?). I suspect I'm not alone in doing so.

Since when is a computer which is only 2 years old "vintage"? You got it right before Windows 7 came out? I can see if you had a PC from 2004/5 and didn't want to switch over. But obviously you bought a computer in 2008, believed all the bad press about Vista and decided you'd be better running XP on it despite the fact that it would run Windows Vista and 7 just fine.

You're not alone, you're right. But that doesn't mean you made the best decision.

guys, I think it's best to just dump windows and go with os x

then we wil be like, Snow leopard is the best os ever, i will never switch to x OS!.

Other guy:

NO x OS is better OS!!!

then we wil be like, Snow leopard is the best os ever, i will never switch to x OS!.

Other guy:

NO x OS is better OS!!!

Mac OS 9 All the way :rofl:

I'll never upgrade to OS X

BS article, we ALL know all those Win7 PC's are immediately downgraded to XP. :whistle:

/Sarcasm.

Back on topic. I can almost guarantee Windows 7 will overtake XP next year.

increasingly so as more secure software no longer supports xp. that's why xp is not fine.

I'd wager that I know a lot more about Windows security than you, so don't worry, I'll be fine.

If you send me $1500 I'll replace them though. Or you can send me a couple of systems. One needs to have serial and parallel ports and be running 32-bit Windows though, but that's easy enough to find. Do you want my details so you know where to send them? Your generosity warms my heart.

I can almost guarantee Windows 7 will overtake XP next year.

In the corporate or consumer market? You might have an argument for consumer but corporate moves at a snail pace, so, no, it won't happen next year. I'm even one of the XP users who refused to let go 6 months ago but I have since permanently moved to 7. 1284134039184020_s100.jpeg

In the corporate or consumer market? You might have an argument for consumer but corporate moves at a snail pace, so, no, it won't happen next year. I'm even one of the XP users who refused to let go 6 months ago but I have since permanently moved to 7. 1284134039184020_s100.jpeg

i think he mean in overall marketshares

it is standing at about 24% now

post-254628-12889852998492.png

And yet Windows XP is the past, Windows 7 the future.

Considering windows 8 will be out in a few years, isn't 7 also in the past? My point is you can make the same argument for any newly released OS version.

It's just a matter of time. XP has already lost over 10% market share since Windows 7 was launched

Wooah, a whole 10%? That's a death knell if I ever saw one (or should it be heard one?) lol .

With 240 million licenses already sold and the holiday season just around the corner, Microsoft might just make it to the 300 million sold copies of Windows 7 by the end of the year.

Licenses sold does not equal PC's sold. Haven't you been paying attention? MS gives these to OEM's regardless of how many sales, so it's a meaningless figure. OEM's get a single version that they put on machines, they don't get a copy for each PC they sell lol. A single image is put on each PC sold. Again, this is why that figure is completely wrong. MS gives these licenses long before anyone has actually bought a PC with an OEM image on it.

Statistics shared by the software giant reveal that Windows 7 uptake is through the rough, with the client enjoying strong adoption as far as both consumers and business customers are concerned.

Excuse me if I take microsoft's internal statistics with a grain of salt. After all, they have a history of F.U.D and questionable claims. Is this from the guys who claimed that WP7 was 20% more efficient than Android and iOS?

[/size][/font]

The numbers of PCs sold worldwide will jump 17% in 2011, to in excess of 400 million, the vast majority of which will come with Windows 7.

The growth of PC's declined this year. And this trend shows no sign of abating. Smartphones, Smartbooks, and Tablets are going to be the big players next year.

In this regard, Windows 7 is bound to kill XP in the next couple of years. After all the operating system will enjoy extended support until 2014.

That's a wild claim with no evidence to back it up. I foresee XP being around in 10 years still. Sorry to burst the XP hate bubble. MS doesn't have a choice but to support it, for if it abandons businesses, the next upgrade cycle might involve GNU/Linux or MAC's.

But customers still running XP well into the next decade will do so rather because they're stuck, and not because they choose to.

And then windows 7/8 becomes less attractive than Linux.

It will be a real pain running XP years from now. And it has already started with such examples as Windows Live Essentials 2011 and Internet Explorer 9. Trust me, Microsoft is simply setting a trend. Additional software developers will follow, and tailor their products exclusively to Windows 7.

Microsoft is locking customers out of new features to force them to upgrade and shell out more cash. Business and consumers alike are disgusted by MS's tactics. Why be at the mercy of a tyrannical and greedy corporation when they can adopt true open standards and software. Replace MS Office with one of the many fully OpenDocument supporting suites. Replace IE with a fully compliant browser such as Firefox or Chromium. Replace the closed source, proprietary windows lockin with GNU Linux and FOSS.

Rich Reynolds, general manager of Windows Commercial Product Marketing at Microsoft revealed earlier this week that the company is extremely optimistic about the future of Windows 7 in 2011.

Would he ever publicly state that he's pessimistic about the future of windows 7?

And the growth trend persists, with Windows 7 at approximately 40% market share at the end of next year, it will take just the preservation of momentum for XP to be dethroned. And it will be all downhill for the aging operating system from then.

Cool story bro.

The original post sounds more like wishful thinking than reality to me.

Considering windows 8 will be out in a few years, isn't 7 also in the past? My point is you can make the same argument for any newly released OS version.

Except 7 is not 9 years old. XP is old.. very old. After a year after Win8 is released, Win7 will be the past. But that's quite aways. Espcially when the end of the world is close to the Win8 release date. :devil:

Wooah, a whole 10%? That's a death knell if I ever saw one (or should it be heard one?) lol .

10% is a ton of people.

Microsoft is locking customers out of new features to force them to upgrade and shell out more cash. Business and consumers alike are disgusted by MS's tactics. Why be at the mercy of a tyrannical and greedy corporation when they can adopt true open standards and software. Replace MS Office with one of the many fully OpenDocument supporting suites. Replace IE with a fully compliant browser such as Firefox or Chromium. Replace the closed source, proprietary windows lockin with GNU Linux and FOSS.

1000x500px-LL-73299e2c_picard-facepalm.jpg

Your name seems to suit you

And buy insanely priced hardware?

yea, it's best just to buy cheap, poorly built, laptop crammed with trashy trial software for half the price.

no really, my Acer is still doing fine two years on.

the problem is windows 7 will become the XP in couple of years and it will be difficult to move everyone to the new OS.

Some who always goes for the latest will move on but not everyone. I really wish Microsoft bring 4-5 years of release cycle.

Licenses sold does not equal PC's sold. Haven't you been paying attention? MS gives these to OEM's regardless of how many sales, so it's a meaningless figure. OEM's get a single version that they put on machines, they don't get a copy for each PC they sell lol. A single image is put on each PC sold. Again, this is why that figure is completely wrong. MS gives these licenses long before anyone has actually bought a PC with an OEM image on it.

what you are saying is absolutely meaningless.

Yes, Microsoft give a whole lot of license to OEM but they are consider only sold when a consumer buy a PC.

Microsoft would have given like millions of license when windows 7 was launched but they never claimed million sold.

they claim it only when they get the money for the license they Sold and yes those 240 million license sold are not meaningless they are the number of licenses they got money for.

The growth of PC's declined this year. And this trend shows no sign of abating. Smartphones, Smartbooks, and Tablets are going to be the big players next year.

The same thing was said when net book came out but now its in the decline.

I have to give you a face palm for this.

Im an XP user, still have a good machine through rebuilds, Im not a gamer and would like an OS that gives me more detail and control over the vast amount of files Ive accumulated over the years. I would like to be able to set my own order based on time, not just date for files that now span 20 years. I want to be able to choose what is on the toolbars of the folders I use everyday and remove all the tooltips and simplified instructions that show up every time I want to do something. I don't care for fading effects, blue boxes over my desktop icons or menu's that i cant truly customise.

How will Windows 7 help me over XP? I have no loyalty to XP but Ive never seen this wow factor that makes so many Neowin users rave about 7 and insult everything else. Tell me what Im missing!!!

the problem is windows 7 will become the XP in couple of years and it will be difficult to move everyone to the new OS.

Some who always goes for the latest will move on but not everyone. I really wish Microsoft bring 4-5 years of release cycle.

please No!!!

5 years is a pain in the ass !

if they did it ,it will be XP Scenario all over again .....

nearly noone is gone get attached to OS with 2.5/3 year turnover

oh and renamber Customer OS are only supported for 5 years only !(unlike business oriented version of windows ==> pro edtion)

How will Windows 7 help me over XP? I have no loyalty to XP but Ive never seen this wow factor that makes so many Neowin users rave about 7 and insult everything else. Tell me what Im missing!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_7

The vast majority of people who still use XP are using it on older hardware.... which makes perfect sense to me.

I have 6 computers: 4 of them use Windows7 (or Server 2008R2 for my new server) and 1 still uses old Windows XP, 1 uses Server 2003R2.

Am I really crazy because one of my computers still runs XP (or server 2003)?? I don't think so. Would you really want to run Windows 7 on a 2Ghz Athlon XP with 512MB of RAM? This computer is the one in my workshop... Its used as a dedicated workbench computer for testing drives or other components, scanning hard drives for viruses, performing backups, etc. In other words, I use it a lot when I fix other computers (which is what I do to supplement my income) but it doesn't need any additional functionality that Windows XP doesn't provide.

My little file server too, which basically is also part of my workshop, just houses a large disk array that I use for storing backups of computers, files/programs that I use diagnostics, a huge store of drivers that I keep around for computers I'm working on, etc. It runs Server 2003 R2, a little more recent than XP but still the same basic NT5.1/2 platform at the core. This computer is a 2.0Ghz Pentium4 with 1GB of RAM. I'm positive that it could run Windows 7, but not with aero or any of the other features that really make 7 different from XP on a usability level. Sure 7 has TONS AND TONS of parts which are vastly superior to, or completely missing, in XP... but on this old hardware XP is actually much snappier and provides all that I will really need. IF I were to change operating systems on either of these computers... it would probably be to a switch to a linux or bsd based operating system, but also not a "brand new build" but probably an older one more appropriate for the capabilities of the hardware.

Its kinda like the iPhone issue: Just because the iPhone3 CAN run iOS4 doesn't mean it provides a decent user experience. In fact now Apple is getting sued for "forcing" upgrades on iphone users, when its been proven that the older phones can't handle the newer OS. Since Windows 7 is probably most constructed using SSE code rather than x87 code, older processors with limited SSE instructions support (or antiquated SSE support) will probably be better off with an older OS which plays to the instructions offered by processors of the time. Since most of the people still grasping onto XP are using older hardware (or underpowered hardware ie. Intel Atom), I honestly think it makes sense for people to use an OS which matches up appropriately to the hardware they are using.

I guess my point is that anybody who thinks EVERY computers should run Windows 7 is probably just as dumb as the other group of people who say that they'll never upgrade past XP. Its kinda like when XP first came out and the entire consumer market was using products based on the Windows 9x kernel.... The NT kernel in Windows 2000 and XP was vastly superior to the Windows 9x kernel, but at the time many people's home computers only had 16 or 32 MB or RAM, which made for an extremely painful experience on NT5....

I have a 57" Chevy in my garage I still drive around in. It still uses the same gas as most cars. Parts are a little harder to find, but fewer parts needed to keep it running like a bat out of hell ! --- Oh sorry talking about XP. You wonder if Vista will be a collectors item someday at some auction. Like in 50 years some guy takes an official copy into Pawn Stars and they say there are only 2 copies left in the world and it will be worth $20,000. NA ! Yea I have virtual OS of XP Pro, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 98. I like them all.

I have a 57" Chevy in my garage I still drive around in. It still uses the same gas as most cars. Parts are a little harder to find, but fewer parts needed to keep it running like a bat out of hell ! --- Oh sorry talking about XP. You wonder if Vista will be a collectors item someday at some auction. Like in 50 years some guy takes an official copy into Pawn Stars and they say there are only 2 copies left in the world and it will be worth $20,000. NA ! Yea I have virtual OS of XP Pro, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 98. I like them all.

no worries ,we would have a Vault for stoneage softwares ! alien.gif

I read this before, I don't think you read my questions though and i don't mean that in a funny way. How will any of those features improve my experience based on my noted requirements?

what do you look for in an OS?

1. Its faster than XP

2. Its more Secure than XP

3. Its has more Eye candy if you like those. If you dont like it disable Aero.

4. Usablity- This is an important aspect everyone look for and with features like aero snap, peek its makes your life easier

5. Support for devices- I know xp have all device drivers but when it comes to finding them it get difficult.

Windows 7 comes bundled with most of the device drivers and its easy to find one for new devices for searching on the windows updates

it completely make use of multi core architecture which XP dont do it thus make it even faster.

I can tell you a whole lot of think but its never like trying it out yourself. There should still be a trial version available for install. try it out and if you dont like it go back to XP.