Opera 11.00 Beta 1

That could be applied to Apple as well and their terrible Windows ports.

Yeah, it could. Also to Microsoft applications on both Mac OS X and Windows. What's your point and what does it have to do with this thread?

Omg im drooling over this tab stack feature lol. Another cool thing is when you stack them, collapse them, and hover over them it lets you select thumbnails exactly how the win7 taskbar works! Thats nice os integration right there.

Considering the Mac version has it as well, it doesn't have much to do with OS integration. Mimicking certain behavior with custom code ≠ OS services integration.

Some things I've noticed almost immediately:

The newly designed infotips that appear when you hover over the tabs don't always disappear.

Getting some of the 'remote server not found' error pages that plagued 10.7x alpha builds. Server / connection is fine, pressing F5 and the page pops up.

A *really* old bug where tooltips have no padding on the bottom / right so the text looks like it's slightly cropped.

And a bizarre one, typing "sunspider" in the address bar goes to sunspider.co.uk and doesn't search like every other word I try :/

Hopefully they'll replace the beta like they have before :p

Some things I've noticed almost immediately:

The newly designed infotips that appear when you hover over the tabs don't always disappear.

Getting some of the 'remote server not found' error pages that plagued 10.7x alpha builds. Server / connection is fine, pressing F5 and the page pops up.

A *really* old bug where tooltips have no padding on the bottom / right so the text looks like it's slightly cropped.

And a bizarre one, typing "sunspider" in the address bar goes to sunspider.co.uk and doesn't search like every other word I try :/

Hopefully they'll replace the beta like they have before :p

For me typing sunspider just brings up a google search for sunspider. Haven't seen any remote connection issues, but I do notice the tooltips. And this IS still a beta, when its released its still gonna have bugs.

EDIT:

Man stacking tabs and pinning them is so awesome! I can see this being extremely useful, especially at work. I can have all the work related pages I need open and pinned in a nice group I wont accidentally close.

The new way tabs are pinned in Opera are nice....it seems like it shrinks the tab size down to the favicon (good and bad.....pretty sure the old method left the tab the same auto size it was, which could make them very large with few tabs).

Tab stacking though is really nice, I tend to have lots of Neowin pages open @ home (easily 20 or so), being able to put them all under one tab will really up my tab bar a lot, same with other sites where I have multiple pages I keep open for awhile. Only bad thing is no mouse-over previews (you can mouse-over the stacked tab to get a preview, but no larger previews like when you mouse over a thumbnail in Windows 7), but I assume that will change eventually. Still really helps organization of tabs if you can stand stacking them (depending on how many tabs you have, it could get annoying).

Love the updated URL bar (never tried the last build that added the badges and what not in), looks really nice and fitting.

Mike: Typing "sunspider" in the address bar for me goes to a google search for sunspider.....are you sure you do not have auto-completion turned on (which will try to finish URLs if you do not add the .com or .co.uk or whatever)? Seems to work normally here.

EDIT: Viper, I feel the same way, up until now I have been using Chrome at work, but with the tab stacking and what not I can put specific tabs under others and make them much easier to navigate. Same @ home, drop all my Neowin tabs in one place and more easily find other non-Neowin tabs. All it needs is maximized previews like Windows 7 (when you mouse over a tab thumbnail image, it should load that page in the main browser area behind the tab thumbnails).

Not that I see but That would be AMAZING. I will suggest that in the forums and blog comments when the beta comes out for sure.

For example one nice little thing would be for a group to auto collapse when you fill the tab bar/expand when there's room.

Auto stacking should be possible. IE already groups together sites from the same domain using a random colour. (I think that colouring looks tacky though.)

Not that I see but That would be AMAZING. I will suggest that in the forums and blog comments when the beta comes out for sure.

For example one nice little thing would be for a group to auto collapse when you fill the tab bar/expand when there's room.

That and autostack based on domain name.

Auto stacking should be possible. IE already groups together sites from the same domain using a random colour. (I think that colouring looks tacky though.)

Yeah, they should be able to do something similar with tab stacking and it would be pretty awesome IMO. It keeps the individual tabs for specific pages that you want, but at the same time it keeps them organized so all your tabs from site YYY are over there, while all your tabs from site ZZZ are over here.

They could use colors on a more subtle way possibly. Like when you have a group of tabs, the transparent box around it could be have a slightly transparent color to it.

Something like right clicking on the tab stack and select filter by url or something would be awesome.

Mike: Typing "sunspider" in the address bar for me goes to a google search for sunspider.....are you sure you do not have auto-completion turned on (which will try to finish URLs if you do not add the .com or .co.uk or whatever)? Seems to work normally here.

That's the bizarre thing, typing "bbc" searches google and I've been to the bbc site before, i've not been to sunspider.co.uk before ><

And yes, auto stacking would be nice, as well as a shortcut for it

Edit: brain wave! local box called "sun" which i've visited before, and told Opera that typing sun -> http://sun/ so a bug that means it's not checking for the URL properly :p

The tab stacking feature is simply awesome! great concept that will have plenty of other possibilities I'm sure. It's definitely going to be copied by other browsers too.

It would be even better If we could select tabs by ctrl+click and then right click them > add to a stack, kinda an overkill but it's a faster way than putting tabs on each other.

The tab stacking feature is simply awesome! great concept that will have plenty of other possibilities I'm sure. It's definitely going to be copied by other browsers too.

How do you think it compares to Tabcandy/Panorama in Firefox? I think I like Firefox's tab groups better. They seem a bit cooler and more flexible.

How do you think it compares to Tabcandy/Panorama in Firefox? I think I like Firefox's tab groups better. They seem a bit cooler and more flexible.

Tab candy is surely a lot more powerful than this feature, but nothing beats a built in feature tbh, I have always found the features provided by extensions to be kinda messy and doesn't integrate quite well with everything else in the browser. So I actually meant it will be copied as a built-in feature as the speed dial concept for example.

Wow, I love the Tab Stack feature.

Tab Candy evolved into something too complicated for my needs. I just wanted something that let me group tabs together in the main brwoser window, and this is exactly that. (Y)

i havent really used opera in a long time, but cant u just right click and reopen closed tabs? seems easier.

Sure, but then you loose the content you have written. When I write a lot on the web I almost always use the pin feature. Especially if I have to do some research in between.

Tab candy while technically being more powerful ends up being a lot less useful then this IMO. Yeah when I first saw the tab candy videos I drooled, looked amazing, but upon trying to actually use it its just a PIA.

I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else, but it seems to me that tab candy is more focused on the act of managing your tabs then actually web browsing and being able to quickly and conveniently group them.

With tab candy you have to go to a separate page, and drag your tabs around there to your hearts content, then you have to click a group which brings you back to the normal gui, then if you want to go back you gotta hit tab candy again. What opera did is a much more straight forward approach, instead of having to go to a separate page to drag and group tabs together you just do it quickly on the tab bar, it feels more natural, and more convenient to use for most situations. Tab candy is really only better if you have a metric arseton of tabs open constantly.

IE doesn't group by domain, it groups by sites opened from.

so if I open a a link in a new tab on neowin, those tabs will have the same color, no matter where that other links goes.

IE doesn't group by domain, it groups by sites opened from.

so if I open a a link in a new tab on neowin, those tabs will have the same color, no matter where that other links goes.

Yeah and I actually prefer that to domain. The way I browse is I tend to open sites like reddit and neowin in a tab, and then middle click all the interesting links I see and then read them all.

Tab candy while technically being more powerful ends up being a lot less useful then this IMO. Yeah when I first saw the tab candy videos I drooled, looked amazing, but upon trying to actually use it its just a PIA.

I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else, but it seems to me that tab candy is more focused on the act of managing your tabs then actually web browsing and being able to quickly and conveniently group them.

With tab candy you have to go to a separate page, and drag your tabs around there to your hearts content, then you have to click a group which brings you back to the normal gui, then if you want to go back you gotta hit tab candy again. What opera did is a much more straight forward approach, instead of having to go to a separate page to drag and group tabs together you just do it quickly on the tab bar, it feels more natural, and more convenient to use for most situations. Tab candy is really only better if you have a metric arseton of tabs open constantly.

Agreed. Tab Candy is a classic example of overengineering a good idea. Opera's stacked tabs are much easier to use, albeit at the moment too basic - as has been mentioned before an auto-stacking option is a must.

I fully expect to see an Opera-like implementation of tab grouping in Chrome 10 or 11, and maybe Safari 6.

yeah, but I can see benefits to each method.

I fully expect to see an Opera-like implementation of tab grouping in Chrome 10 or 11, and maybe Safari 6.

Except it'll be a new and revolutionary idea that noone else has thought of before.

Quite enjoying the beta, but the interface is a bit too bulky for me still, got soo used to Chromes approach to a status bar, and tabs being in the title bar.