+jamesyfx

Personally couldn't stand Morrowind, but I found Oblivion to be much fun.

Still, it had so many shortcomings that made it a bit dull to play after a while...

Andre S.

I wonder if they're still going to use the Gamebryo engine.

They need to ditch that engine. It was already old when Oblivion came out, and it's a major thorn in Fallout 3 and New Vegas IMO.
sw1tch..

I hope they make the world more busy as well. I found that after exploring around in Oblivion the world felt very empty without many people around, even in the cities.

Skyfrog

Oblivion is probably the only game I've ever played where leveling up actually makes you weaker.

Pajter

I just had to play Oblivion after reading this news a few days ago. Never really completed it. Did now though. :D

• 2 weeks later...
c3ntury

I just hope they code an entirely new engine for this game.

Kyle A

I'm also hoping they will be using a different engine for this, or at least significantly improved. In my opinion, Bethesda's games in terms of gameplay and story are great but their engine just kills the immersion and atmosphere that could be there. Imagine the Fallout/Oblivion world with the graphics engine of Metro 2033 or even Crysis. :woot: THAT would be an amazing game. But no, we'll probably see gamebyro once more with hardly any changes. :cry:

iamawesomewicked

Todd Howard was quoted as saying it uses the Fallout 3 engine just highly modified.

furyshinobi

Todd Howard was quoted as saying it uses the Fallout 3 engine just highly modified.

:( I was hoping it uses iD's Tech 5 engine and not the buggy Gamebryo engine... imagine TES 5 using the Tech 5 engine...

qdave

I only played Oblivion ages ago and it wasnt too fun, but i hope the new one will be better.

god.send.death

It was inevitable. Still, can't wait for this game! Oblivion is one of my top 5 favorite games.

Well that sucks.

iamawesomewicked

:( I was hoping it uses iD's Tech 5 engine and not the buggy Gamebryo engine... imagine TES 5 using the Tech 5 engine...

Yeah well, Bethesda are known to love Gamebryo.. and never fixing it.. so expect a buggy game.

Minifig

I'd like to see a hybrid of Oblivion and Morrowind...

The open HUUUUUUUGE world of Morrowind, but the environmental detail and way that leveling worked in Oblivion. I have over something like 800 hours in my Oblivion copy.. I love that game.

soniqstylz

Yeah well, Bethesda are known to love Gamebryo.. and never fixing it.. so expect a buggy game.

Part of the problem is that it's hard to replicate the bugs in such huge games, they tend to be very random, so it's hard to fix what you can replicate, or never actually come across in testing.

iamawesomewicked

Part of the problem is that it's hard to replicate the bugs in such huge games, they tend to be very random, so it's hard to fix what you can replicate, or never actually come across in testing.

I just don't think they test it very thoroughly. There is 1 game breaking bug in Fallout New Vegas that i've heard of, and i've heard nothing but complains about the bugs in that game, plus any other GameBryo engine game.

What they should do, is get rid of that ancient POS engine, and make one or get one that works.

Ently

I'm going to buy the collectors edition for sure!!! I love all of Bethesda games they are just too awesome!

dipsylalapo

Did anybody catch the announcement trailer on Spike yesterday? It does look pretty awesome! And they given in a release date 11/11/11 :D

Can't wair

Richard Hammond

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim :D

Corris

Hopefully it is a really really heavily modified version of the engine and wont look crap, lol.

And it would be great if they sort out the skills too, it just didn't work that great in the end.

treemonster

I'd like to see a hybrid of Oblivion and Morrowind...

The open HUUUUUUUGE world of Morrowind, but the environmental detail and way that leveling worked in Oblivion. I have over something like 800 hours in my Oblivion copy.. I love that game.

i think you got that backwards

oblivion was bigger than morrow wind, if it felt small you were quick travelling by POIs too much and not riding a horse or running around enough.

oblivion looked prettier overall, but had less detail imho than morrowwind, in that morrow wind had no copy pasta locations, where as oblivion was full of copy pasta.

leveling was awful in oblivion and you could easily make the game to hard to do anything if you didn't power game plan out your leveling path in advance and take the time to track down all the skill trainers and make sure you got 5 points in specific core skills each specific level and made sure to only level up certain skills each level and so on. otherwise your best bet to do anything and every thing was to simply never sleep so you wouldn't level up.

fo3 was better in some regards iirc, except that you started out so weak, and then ended up super powered. i have to base that on trusted opinion of gamer friends though, as i got bored of dying frequently and running out of ammo beforei could clear the pharmacy just outside of the starting vault, and put in god mode and gave myself exp to hit level 20. i guess it depends on which platform you played it on two from what i hear, and how much you used that terrible queue combat system that was a legacy feature from the old FO games(it was great in the older ones but i never used it in fo3 except to try it out)

not sure why people would want mtero2033 or crysis 's engine for a game like TES, to get the large open environments in these games you'd have to scale back the graphics dramatically on those engines just to get them to run on ultra high end computers. while both engines have the ultra high end graphics, and do give the illusion of wide open go anywhere levels, that's really just an illusion.

the engine that oblivion used and has been modded for fo3 was pretty nice to look at overall in technical terms, and runs pretty damn decently considering the graphics overall. it could definitely be improved and everything i'm hearing about FO:NV (which wasn't bethesda devved) they could stand to step up QA and tweak and mod the engine a bit more.

what i'd really love to see is some kind of coop/mp mode in tes5. if i could p2p or lan up with just one friend it would be wicked awesome, even if one of us got hero status and the other got minion status or something. that was the one thing missing from oblivion for me.

Andrew

Very boring teaser (like the rest of them shown), and I predict a delay into 2012. TES isn't a winter game

Richard Hammond
Speculation about The Elders Scroll V: Skyrim has been running rampant since the teaser traileras shown at the Spike VGAs and the teaser site went live soon after. We know one thing for certain though, the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 game from Bethesda Softworks won't be built on the same game engine as any previous games.

While there be dragons in the game, Skyrim will also sport a brand new shiny engine according to the Bethblog twitter. "Seeing lots of speculation about #tesv game engine. It's brand new... and it's spectacular!" it said.

Good news as the game engines from Oblivion, Fallout3 and Fallout: New Vegas are beginning to show their age.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is due out on November 11, 2011.

Source

Its not Oblivion engine.